LegacyGT.com

timingBELT good for 120k? That's one nice timing belt. Honda recommends timing belt changes at 60k themselves. I read the review recently on C&D in regards to used Audi TTs... they mentioned the T-belt change and the gauge cluster... the irony in this is that problem with the T-belt doesn't surface so much on the GTi/Jetta + the MFD pixels that die... Jetta/GTi had em too.. no problems on those... weird ish.

120K is what he was told it should be serviced at. Actually, Audi doesn't recommend a specific interval for the timing belt. If you do get it replaced it will cost you no less than $700 (that's if you catch it in time).

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Nah that's BS, our ECU's can do a lot too, but either it is not allowed to be reprogrammed or the dealerships are clueless as how to use their own tools.

It's the constant re-engineering. The Japanese have their engineering development down, they don't redesign what works without good reason and they improve old designs. Look at all the engine choices, etc, the germans provide.

So basically, what you are telling me is..

The germans revolutionize... the japanese evolutionize...

Our ECUs only control the engine... and you can only reprogram the engine itself.. the BOSCH ECUs used by the VW/Audi/Porsche group keeps tabs on a LOT more than just the engine. Shoot, look at Porsche... the ECUs on ALL porsches are the same... they get programmed by tech's upon arrival. They plug them in and input the VIN into the computer and tada! the right program is uploaded to them with all the correct features specific to that model.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

So basically, what you are telling me is..

The germans revolutionize... the japanese evolutionize...

That would mean something if they did any one thing much much better, but not so much. You end up getting a neanderthal of ignition coil packs, etc. Germans cars always seems like building a ship in a bottle to me. Somebody took a bit of intelligence and time to do it properly, but good luck if anything breaks - and it will.

That would mean something if they did any one thing much much better, but not so much. You end up getting a neanderthal of ignition coil packs, etc. Germans cars always seems like building a ship in a bottle to me. Somebody took a bit of intelligence and time to do it properly, but good luck if anything breaks - and it will.

The coilpacks were made by a crappy Korean supplier... coilpacks are coilpacks.. suby's got em too.. they go bad, just not nearly as often :lol:

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

120K is what he was told it should be serviced at. Actually, Audi doesn't recommend a specific interval for the timing belt. If you do get it replaced it will cost you no less than $700 (that's if you catch it in time).

Sorry but that is wrong. In fact on the 03 RS6 part of the 35k serviceand every 35k after is to replace the timing belt, tensoiner, and associated pulleys. WE also had a service action on 97-2000 A4 1.8t to check the timing belt for wear. I am pretty sure the sevice interval is 105k to 120k. ALso about 9 out of 10 times it is the water pump that takes out the timing belt (the water pump is driven directly off of the timing belt.). There is a 02 A6 3.0 in my shop right now that the water pump siezed and took the timing belt out. The car has 80k on it.

The audi reliability problem is amplified by the fact that minor problems with the engine/drive train/computer will cost a disproportionate amount compared to the quality of the cars.

Subaru might not be as luxurious as BMW/Audi/MB but they are a also much cheaper to fix.

S4 was NOTORIOUS though.... I'd know better than to get a used S4.

The problems with VW/Audi... the ones that earned them this shitty reputation, are all due to problems with cars produced around that time (00-04) or so. The MKIV, the B4 chassis, etc... The new chassis seem to have much better reliability thus far.

To me, its VERY annoying to hear about this problem because its so OVERblown... I'll put it to you this way... M-B had NIGHTMARE type electrical problems on their cars during that same period of time.. their execs even admitted that their future cars would be simpler to avoid these issues... yet how many people complain?

I don't know.. I owned VW from '90-'04

('84 GLI, '90 GTi 16v, '94 Corrado VR6).

The least trouble was probably the GTi. And that was NOT trouble-free. My wife also had 2 Jettas, and they were held together by duct tape.

I was a VW defender for many years (two pals are VW salesmen). EVERY year, every new model, I'd hear the same old "we have the problems fixed" crap. And every year a few months later, I'd hear about all the recalls, problems, etc.

There are a TON of people in my social circle (back in Canada where I lived for 25 years) who have sworn off VW forever. And my social circle was: german-canadians.

Not saying M-B isn't just as bad (or worse). I wouldn't touch Audi if it was $5K less than a comparable Subaru.

It's horrible - we both LIKE the VW styling (especially the A4 Jetta GLIs w/ BBS, etc). But, the horrible reliability keeps us from making another mistake. Check out http://www.fightingchance.com. I paid for his package - he concluded the same thing: VW never really fixes their quality - they just keep saying they have and dupe a new set of customers..

Like you said "holding up better - SO FAR". That's what, 12-16 months?

HV

Hahaha, twin turbo huh? I think you meant, twin-intercooled. It used ONE K04. .

Yeah I did meant twin intercooled turbo, and in fact it did used the K04's same turbos as the B5 RS4.

:-)

I would check one out for sure if it came to our market, but Audi always has some things...

I do think that this new platform, as it has been said here should be way more reliable than the B5 but who knows, still too early to say anything....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I can't comment model wide about Audi's....but the A4 I had was horrible. At the end of the third year it had a broken light switch in the rear seat area. Audi...never again.

My Subaru went in for warantee work twice in the first 18 months, once for a jack that bent while being used and once for a blown headlight bulb. Does that make it twice as unreliable as an Audi?

The problems with VW/Audi... the ones that earned them this shitty reputation, are all due to problems with cars produced around that time (00-04) or so. The MKIV, the B4 chassis, etc... The new chassis seem to have much better reliability thus far.

To me, its VERY annoying to hear about this problem because its so OVERblown... I'll put it to you this way... M-B had NIGHTMARE type electrical problems on their cars during that same period of time.. their execs even admitted that their future cars would be simpler to avoid these issues... yet how many people complain?

Yeah, I wouldn't touch MB with 10 foot pole either. Bottom line is that when you look at reliability rating as a cumulative on the whole brand...Audi, VW & MB always end up in bottom 10.

Come on...to me luxuary item should have a better quality than non-luxuary items that cost 10k less. And quality doesn't end at using better leather. It's the overall experinece. On all honesty only thing Audi's got better than Subaru is the looks. I can forgive realiability on truely Exotic cars but mass produce luxuary brand has to offer better quality than econo brand.

Archived