LegacyGT.com

Smoked by a wagon

Coming home tonight I happened to come up next to a wrx. We were both accelerating to get up to speed. He punched it thinking he is going to kick this guys a$$ in this station wagon thing (me in my outback). Well i punched it to and beat him to the speed limit. He waved me down to see what the heck i had in my car. Turns out his rex was highly modded, up, dp, intercooler, turbo from an EVO, headers, injectors, ecu programing, etc.... He was shocked how little I had done to my car (DP, and accessport), to make my care so fast. We BS'd for a while, and now i am motivated to take the wagon to the 1/4 mile strip to see how i can do.

For everyone wondering how our cars hold up to stg 1 or 2. This guy I ran into had a heavly modded car that has been run that way for over 70k miles. And i am sure it has been driven hard the whole time. There are many modded wrx running around with insane amounts of mods and have high miles on them.

Question, how are you guys getting the most out of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with the 5spd??? 2k rpms and popping clutch?? no popping clutch?? I dont want to smoke anything yet maximize my 1/4 mile time for when i do make it to the track.

thanks

Cool little tale. :)

Like I said before, on another brother's thread where some rather strange WRX owners apparently made-fun of his LGT, any true WRX/Scooby enthusiast would give props to our LGTs and their sisters.

---

For the street, I usually only get up to about 3K - and at max, 4K - RPM and slip/feed in the clutch. My stock clutch is still holding strong (knock on wood), and I've been at typical "Stage II" power-levels for somewhere around a year and nearly 12K miles, now. And yes, I "launch" about two to three times a week :D (but almost never back-to-back so as to allow the clutch some "recovery" after each run).

That's fast enough for the streets. :lol:

I am one of those lucky bastards who does not get "clutch stink." I will, though, get a small whiff of that distinctive odor if I rev-up to a 5 to 5.5K launch point. ;)

And there's at least one member here who prefers a 4K sidestep/clutch-drop launch, and has excellent time-slips to prove it, too.

I think that part of this "magic" will depend on your specific vehicle setup (including tires and suspension, too) - and also your particular driving style as well.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Of course it was a private road. There is only one HWY "Alaska #1" in the good old AK. You can drive around here at 2 am in some parts and not see another person for hours. :)

I defintley gained this WRX owners respect of the outback and new lgt.

The question is if you are on a public road and race yourself to the speed limit is that illegal??? :icon_bigg

So for a good launch hit around 3Kish then ease in the clutch???

The question is if you are on a public road and race yourself to the speed limit is that illegal??? :icon_bigg

yes. even if you race to 20. anytype of RACE to any mph in a car is technically illegal. if a cop thinks you are racing you will get a ticket. you just wont get a speeding ticket :) reckless driving is what you;ll prob get slapped with. the funny thing is your better off doing 80-90 in a 65 then to get caught racing even to the speed limit. at least on the highway you can say you were passing slower traffic, but then again you might get the cop who will give you a speeding ticket, a reckless driving ticket, and a failure to obey posted signs ticket, and whatever else he can think of. and as far as racing yourself they can still give you careless or reckless driving for quick acceleration.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Hmmmm, zero to sixty technique??

I rev to 3500 and modulate the clutch and gas to keep from bogging down. I get off the clutch as soon as possible. If you launch at higher rpm you'll smell the clutch. I usually can spin the front tires for a sec or two using this method. I can run a sub 5 second 0-60 consistantly this way.

So you can get a ticket if you haul ass up the ramp to the freeway just to reach the speed limit?? Or if you are all alone at a stop light and use all 300hp to get to the speed limit. And you arent racing anyone?????

So you can get a ticket if you haul ass up the ramp to the freeway just to reach the speed limit?? Or if you are all alone at a stop light and use all 300hp to get to the speed limit. And you arent racing anyone?????

There are a bunch of Subaru folks headed out to Ak Raceway Park in Palmer tomorrow... your chance to run your car on a track.

Gates open at 5pm you should check it out.

So you can get a ticket if you haul ass up the ramp to the freeway just to reach the speed limit??

Yes but unlikely...depends on the "mood" of the officer at the time of occurance:lol:

Or if you are all alone at a stop light and use all 300hp to get to the speed limit. And you arent racing anyone?????

Absolutely..wreckless or careless or both and probably some I don't know about!

Yeah well that whole racing yourself to the speedlimit thing is just a matter of how big of a jerk the cop is. I took off at a light in my old car spinning the tires through the intersection (nobody next to me) when I cop who was turning right pulled into view watched me go by flying to the speed limit and didn't even care. So it all matters on the cop. They can pull you over for anything or nothing if they want. You don't know how many you were swerving lines I heard when I hadn't had one drink I was just guilty of driving around late at night.

in Il. it's called "reckless driving" i have also heard from cops i know you can get busted for a "display of speed". bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived