LegacyGT.com

12 days, 4000 miles and THE DRAGON

So what was going to be a fairly long road trip to Nashville turned into a REALLY long road trip to Austin, TX (what a sweet town Austin is)

With all of that driving I decided to make a detour and see what all this tail of the dragon stuff was about. Sweet Jeebus what a road! Man I wish I lived closer, I'd be up there all the time. I really wished I was driving my Alfa, the lgt is just too friggin heavy. It handles really well but its a whole nother thing with 1,000 less lbs.

In 4,000 miles I used 1/2 qt of oil (Mobil 1) and averaged 26 MPG. I kept planning on softening up the coilovers but only thought about it when I was behind the wheel. Not unbearable but could have been a little cushier. All in all the LGT did its job well and was pretty darned comfortable.

Only bad thing was a crack suddenly appeared in my windshield! Nothing hit the window, there's no impact marks, the windshiled is just cracked. I wonder if I can get it replaced under warranty?

As much as I enjoyed the trip, it sure is good to be home.

I got a crack in moonroof..thought it was heat related and took it to dealer. They pointed out a tiny crater along the fault line and declared it as damaged by a rock :(. Now I'm saving up 2-300 to get it all replaced and tinted again.

We Were going to try the Dragon on the way back from the Air Force Museum in Ohio, but got a bit time challenged. Oh well..there's always this autumn.

I got a crack in moonroof..thought it was heat related and took it to dealer. They pointed out a tiny crater along the fault line and declared it as damaged by a rock :(. Now I'm saving up 2-300 to get it all replaced and tinted again.

Was your sunroof tinted? I've always been told...that you should never tint a sunroof because it will cause it to crack. Something to do with the way it is tempered (sp?).

one of these days. Whats real estate like in that area around the Dragon. Might get a early retirement home there

$140k for a 2500sq ft 10yr old house on 1/2 acre. CHEAP

I use to live in Fayetteville and went up to the Dragon in the Spyder. Going around those curves was enough to bottom out the kit. It was so fun and I'm moving to GA soon. Probably will make a few trips up there when I finish the Legacy project.

I want to go back, just for the food at the Bistro at the Biltmore :wub:

You know, with both times I've been in that area I've never been to the Biltmore. The last time I was there I stayed at the Tapoco Lodge. They also have great food and the staff there is super nice. If you're in the area of The Dragon, for the full "Dragon expiriance" stay and eat at the Tapoco Lodge and have a Burger at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, but only if you're driving a car on the Dragon. If you're riding a bike, then you have to stay at Deal's Gap. If you don't do this, you're not doing it right.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

we stayed at the Biltmore, then did the tour the next day (with dinner the first night and lunch the second at the Bistro - it's that good), then stayed in Cherokee, then drove the Dragon before looping back to Asheville proper by way of Knoxville. We tried to stay at Tapoco or Fontana but everything was booked solid - MOTD - Mini's On The Dragon....over 500 Mini Coopers were there that weekend. ;)

Where's the crack? It might be stress-related, if the glass is, as in some other cars, a structural component. Had one in our old Jetta, lower right corner. Kept growing unti I installed a strut tower bar.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

did you guys see a lot of cops down there that weekend?

Both times I was there I did not *really* see any cops on the Dragon. The only caviot (sp?) is that there was both a cycle cop and a cruiser that came on the Dragon when a guy on a GSX-R got the big smack down from the laws of phyics and was tossed off the road and into a small gully. The Tree of Shame had a new addition, but the guy was mostly unharmed. Very lucky dude. After the cops were done with their duties involving the GSX-R they quietly left the Dragon to enforce it's own speed limits.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

did you guys see a lot of cops down there that weekend?

there were a few at the general store at Fontana and one at the far end of the Dragon, on the TN side. See Tommy's comments above....there's not much cops can do up there that makes it safer vs. their presence or actions making it more dangerous.

So what was going to be a fairly long road trip to Nashville turned into a REALLY long road trip to Austin, TX (what a sweet town Austin is)

With all of that driving I decided to make a detour and see what all this tail of the dragon stuff was about. Sweet Jeebus what a road! Man I wish I lived closer, I'd be up there all the time. I really wished I was driving my Alfa, the lgt is just too friggin heavy. It handles really well but its a whole nother thing with 1,000 less lbs.

In 4,000 miles I used 1/2 qt of oil (Mobil 1) and averaged 26 MPG. I kept planning on softening up the coilovers but only thought about it when I was behind the wheel. Not unbearable but could have been a little cushier. All in all the LGT did its job well and was pretty darned comfortable.

Only bad thing was a crack suddenly appeared in my windshield! Nothing hit the window, there's no impact marks, the windshiled is just cracked. I wonder if I can get it replaced under warranty?

As much as I enjoyed the trip, it sure is good to be home.

Here I thought you drove 4000 ON the Dragon. HAHAHA

yea, I stayed at Deal's Gap/Fontana Village for a good week and drove the Dragon about 20 roundtrips of the 14 mile stretch.. I filled up 10 times of FULL tanks when I had my WRX.. yea, you can say I drove that car hard through the dragon.. I had to bleed my brakes and swap out my brakes pads during the middle of the week.

The GT isnt that bad, but yes, when you have gear in the car and all that other luggage, it's not fun.. it's a lot better with a gutted car like I had with the WRX and just leave all the stuff at the resort.

Keefe

I'm sure they do booming business on the way in and out of it, though.

Right, that's why you drive like a grandma anywhere but the Dragon in that area.

EL4NFZT7

Archived