LegacyGT.com

First 1200 Mile Impressions

24.3 :icon_wink as per NAV.

Lucky dog. I've been "trying" to drive less guzzlingly, but I am stuck on 21.3...

Still, LOVE my ride. Wouldn't want to be driving any other car on the road...including the 07. As much as I love my ride, that's how much I hate the "dusk blue" inserts on the 07.

Lucky dog. I've been "trying" to drive less guzzlingly, but I am stuck on 21.3...

Still, LOVE my ride. Wouldn't want to be driving any other car on the road...including the 07. As much as I love my ride, that's how much I hate the "dusk blue" inserts on the 07.

I just try to drive intelligently. I don't chase the bumper in front of me during stop and go freeway traffic. I try to maintain a steady speed while cruising (an object in motion tends to stay in motion) and anticipate traffic lights. The little boxer is so torquey that in slowish steady city driving I'll use 5th gear and bury the NAV fuel consumption display.

The brick red seats are beautiful. Really classy, IMHO.

With plenty of highway, it seems very possible to do (much) better then the EPA rating. So far on my current tank (about 100 miles in) I'm averaging 28.5 MPG according to the computer. I was around 30 for a while, but I can't help myself at stoplights :lol:

I figure as long as I'm getting at least 25, I'm doing pretty well. Haven't yet checked the computer against an actual fill up yet though, so I don't know how accurate it is.

I put 200 miles on the Spec. today in mixed but mostly freeway or, as it's described in Chicagoland, expressway or tollway - we do make the distinction - driving. I inched the NAV computer reading up to 24.6. It only seems to move in .3 increments. Pulled a "Blues Brothers" on lower Wacker tonight.

The "drive by wire" throttle control is a novel concept to me. Anyone have any insights into its design intent or parameters? It has to communicate with the ECU and all its many inputs especially the TPS and MAF. The reason I ask is that though I never come close to lugging this engine. I always chicken out when I think lugging is about to happen. I get awesome mpg as per NAV when tooling around from stop light to stop light at 30 mph in 4th gear, etc. showing 1500rpm. Mind you, I'm not jumping around looking for poll position when I'm turning these low revs. I'm simply setting course to the next light so that I'm not uselessly stepping on the brakes and turning my precious velocity into brake rotor heat.*

* Think of how powerful an engine has to be that can do 0-60 in 2-3 seconds. Your brakes have the equivalent of ~1000hp for the retrograde action. And some people wonder why brakes get hot.

Just how much of this "High MPG" driving do you do? I implore you to think of how the Spec B feels in this situation. I bet he/she wants to smoke all of those 2.0T Audis next to you. But instead the grey rocket must endure mind-numbingly slow acceleration and the shame of being passed by Kharman Ghias. I dont mean to flame, but if you are getting anything above 20 MPG, you are driving too slowly.

-Whoever designed the rain rails over the front doors should be fired. I'm sick of getting a waterfall in the interior whenever the windows are open and there's water on the roof

if u know theres water on the roof then either do a quick run with trusty old microfiber towel or do a a hard braking causing th ewater to trickle down ...then proceed to open window....cant belive u dont know this...i've known ths since my 1st subie from '97

-I hate that you have to totally change your driving style when you drive with the AC on. It's like driving a different car altogether.

please elaborate....

Just how much of this "High MPG" driving do you do? I implore you to think of how the Spec B feels in this situation. I bet he/she wants to smoke all of those 2.0T Audis next to you. But instead the grey rocket must endure mind-numbingly slow acceleration and the shame of being passed by Kharman Ghias. I dont mean to flame, but if you are getting anything above 20 MPG, you are driving too slowly.

LOL! My Spec. sees plently of high revs at WOT. I'm not accelerating when I'm cruising from light to light. I just may get to cruise in a couple of seconds but I'm not going to waste my liguid fun (gas) on heating the rotors just so that I can sit at another red light. I generally cruise at 70-75 on the freeway and frequently get to that speed in about 6 or so seconds.:icon_bigg

What don't you like about the high performance summer tires on the Spec.? I would imagine that they would be poor winter performers. I'm going to get some stock 17s and put some good all seasons on them (maintaining OEM Spec. circumference) for the cold months.

I have had to replace 2 of them already. They seem to be attracted to nails/etc.

Additionally when I took delivery of the car in Feb we had a snow storm. It was not pretty.

I plan on the same course of action for this winter- extra set of rims and winter tires.

Okay...I am really not trying to be a jerk..but Vimy101 you have made some incredibly memorable quotes (at least to me) on this thread and i would like to point them out.

Your use of the English language is both impressive and a lil intimidating, here are my favorite lines:

"It's such a giving little engine that that fact alone has kind of muted my full appreciation of the tranny and AWD"

"Going to do a counter clockwise circumnavigation of Lake Michigan in a couple of weeks or so. Can't wait."

"I had a girl friend who could do it in an 80s 5MT Sentra but her ability to find gears when operating the car was a little emasculating"

And my fovorite:

"I generally coast spending the time moving forward in space and listening for rattles while saving the brake pads."

Those are good ones. I like the circumnavigating lake michigan one, myself.

on a personal note, Vimy, I know I have been a bit confrontational and challenged your posts in other threads, but I hope you don't take it the wrong way. It has been very interesting to read your takes on topics. Don't get scared off (you don't seem the type to be scared off, anyway) by some little conversational challenges around the forums.

And best of luck with your Spec B. I look forward to see if you do modifications and changes, cosmetic or functional...

Archived