LegacyGT.com

First 1200 Mile Impressions

Preamble:

I bought Spec.B 101 of 500 "used" on July 7th with 6.3k on it and have since put on ~1200 miles. The car, maintained to OEM specs by its former owner and SLF member "Nelly" (the floor mats have still not left the sealed bag (using the all weather ones)), is optioned out very nicely. It has had its second oil change at 7498 miles to Mobil 1 5-30 and tire rotation.

Impressions:

This is a really fun car which is extrememly stabile, able and poised in every performance parameter I've been able to put it through which has ranged from open freeway to twisties to rush hour freeway to city driving.

I'm averaging 24 mpg on premium in very warm and humid weather using the AC. I'd rate this number as decent for what I was expecting from it.

The boxer motor is a little tiger of a power plant. It's such a giving little engine that that fact alone has kind of muted my full appreciation of the tranny and AWD.

The NAV is a blast. I took the Spec. B for a joy ride into the country using the NAV to spot likely fun roads and lanes not paying too much attention to where I was going. Just playing. The low fuel went on so a punched in "home' for the NAV destination, picked the most twisty route and went home to fill up. I have often asked my wife if she'd like to be the navigator for me in rally racing. She always says no. I might have found her replacement. :icon_bigg

The driving postion and visibilty are excellent. The car is very comfortable.

Going to do a counter clockwise circumnavigation of Lake Michigan in a couple of weeks or so. Can't wait.

However, the paint is soft and the Leg can make a hellacious thump noise in the cabin when going over certain kinds of moderately hard road bumps. The foot control area is smallish though I think I'll get used to that.

I'm still learning what this Spec. B is capable of but it already has that elusive driver "confidence" aspect for me. So far #101 has been an outstanding vehicle that has quality that allows it to stand with anything on the road.

Bumped my tires from OEM spec to 40 psi today on the Potenza RE05OAs with little discernable difference except perhaps that the 101 coasted better with no throttle. Going to try 45. Max is 51.

Anyone use max pressure in their Legacy tires here?

Vimy101, I'll keep my eyes open for you on the roads in the NW Burbs of Chicago. I've got Spec B #102. I've had it for ~2 months now and rarely see other Legacy GTs on the road.

Here are my initial impressions of the car:

-Ultimate sleeper....nobody knows what it is or how much power it has

-Looks like a high-end European sports sedan with the grey/brick red color combo

-Excellent balance of power/looks/luxury

-Great low end power but it's a little rough before it warms up

-Whoever designed the rain rails over the front doors should be fired. I'm sick of getting a waterfall in the interior whenever the windows are open and there's water on the roof

-I hate that you have to totally change your driving style when you drive with the AC on. It's like driving a different car altogether.

I still love the car and won't be selling it anytime soon. I'm hooked on Subarus!!

Preamble:

I bought Spec.B 101 of 500 "used" on July 7th with 6.3k on it and have since put on ~1200 miles. The car, maintained to OEM specs by its former owner and SLF member "Nelly" (the floor mats have still not left the sealed bag (using the all weather ones)), is optioned out very nicely. It has had its second oil change at 7498 miles to Mobil 1 5-30 and tire rotation.

Impressions:

This is a really fun car which is extrememly stabile, able and poised in every performance parameter I've been able to put it through which has ranged from open freeway to twisties to rush hour freeway to city driving.

I'm averaging 24 mpg on premium in very warm and humid weather using the AC. I'd rate this number as decent for what I was expecting from it.

The boxer motor is a little tiger of a power plant. It's such a giving little engine that that fact alone has kind of muted my full appreciation of the tranny and AWD.

The NAV is a blast. I took the Spec. B for a joy ride into the country using the NAV to spot likely fun roads and lanes not paying too much attention to where I was going. Just playing. The low fuel went on so a punched in "home' for the NAV destination, picked the most twisty route and went home to fill up. I have often asked my wife if she'd like to be the navigator for me in rally racing. She always says no. I might have found her replacement. :icon_bigg

The driving postion and visibilty are excellent. The car is very comfortable.

Going to do a counter clockwise circumnavigation of Lake Michigan in a couple of weeks or so. Can't wait.

However, the paint is soft and the Leg can make a hellacious thump noise in the cabin when going over certain kinds of moderately hard road bumps. The foot control area is smallish though I think I'll get used to that.

I'm still learning what this Spec. B is capable of but it already has that elusive driver "confidence" aspect for me. So far #101 has been an outstanding vehicle that has quality that allows it to stand with anything on the road.

Welcome, btw I am very envy of your Nav system. You missed out on the 6spd and the SI drive on the '07 models. But it still a awsome ride.

Welcome, btw I am very envy of your Nav system. You missed out on the 6spd and the SI drive on the '07 models. But it still a awsome ride.

I have too many gears already. One more would confuse the hell out of me. I read a review of the SI on the 07. The writer said that the driving mode thing was kind of useless. He just left it in "sport" feeling that "intelligent" lamed the car when all that was necessary for economy was a smart right foot and that "Sport #" wasn't too different than "sport". The turboed boxer is a whole different kettle of fish that will take me a couple of years for me to fully appreciate. Right now, I'm just blown away by it.

Stability control would be interesting but I think I'd like to learn this superbly able car's handling envelope unassisted. Analogue instead of digital if you will. I don't want tail wagging corrected and don't want to try to find out the point at which reality overcomes computer programs. Not that I'm against it by any means. I think its great but I don't want it even if I lived atop an ice covered mountain*.

The fold down seats would be useful but I wonder if chasis rigidity might be negatively affected.

I wish I could hear the engine more clearly so that it might be easier to match revs. I'm having trouble finding the engagement point on the clutch. More practice will solve that and I want to start experimenting with clutchless shifting. I had a girl friend who could do it in an 80s 5MT Sentra but her ability to find gears when operating the car was a little emasculating. :icon_wink

I have only had the car while it has been hot and humid which of course requires use of the AC. Both will suck the life out of any ICE. The turbo is a great compensator. LOVE IT!:icon_mrgr :icon_mrgr :icon_mrgr

I have to get and enjoy what's left of my evening.

*Now that I think about it, if I lived there I would use it all the time.:icon_eek::icon_bigg

24mpg? I hate u. Im getting 16 right now...but i floor it to the speed limit alot...so yeah i guess i hate myself....:(

24.3 :icon_wink as per NAV.

Going to try mid grade for half a tank.

I try to drive efficiently. When I look ahead 500 yards and see 3 cars in front of me at the 4 wat stop, I generally coast spending the time moving forward in space and listening for rattles while saving the brake pads. I hate wasting liquid speed (gasoline) uselessly. That said, when I see paradise in front of the car infront of me, the turbo is mana from heaven.

The 101's brakes are very good but not as informative as my old Infiniti's.

Change yout intake filter panel or get a airintake kit. You'll hear the engine better or do the cheaper way of just taking out the intake silencer.

Intake silencer??????? Hummm....... Please, tell me more.

AM air induction is for the birds. The engineers at Sube are well aware of intake.

I wish I could hear the engine more clearly so that it might be easier to match revs. I'm having trouble finding the engagement point on the clutch. More practice will solve that...

Boy, do you have to get skooled??

Hogzaust 101:

http://legacygt.com/forums/intake-exhaust/35764-new-hog-zawst-system.html

It helps with engagment more than you'd ever realize, no more do i have to glance at the tach, or wait until I feel movement...the Hogzaust will give you all the feedback you want, and no more - because you can vary it from 0.5 to 4.

Unleash your boxer rumble!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Boy, do you have to get skooled??

Hogzaust 101:

http://legacygt.com/forums/intake-exhaust/35764-new-hog-zawst-system.html

It helps with engagment more than you'd ever realize, no more do i have to glance at the tach, or wait until I feel movement...the Hogzaust will give you all the feedback you want, and no more - because you can vary it from 0.5 to 4.

Unleash your boxer rumble!

I don't care for unecessary noise at speed. The 2.5t is an engineering marvel as is. I'm not bolting anything on to the 101 until I appreciate its engineers' philosphy. I paid for highly engineered technology from Subaru's experts and that seems to be what I'm getting. :)

I don't care for unecessary noise at speed. The 2.5t is an engineering marvel as is. I'm not bolting anything on to the 101 until I appreciate its engineers' philosphy. I paid for highly engineered technology from Subaru's experts and that seems to be what I'm getting. :)

dude, it's a subaru. and it's a muffler. Big Effin' Deal! You sound like a snob, better suited to a BMW.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

Beemers are less reliable and cost way more to maintain.

Dude, sell the Spec and get a Camery hybrid then you don't have to hear anything but the rustle of your soy chip bag and the hideous whine of Kenny G..:lol:

Subarus are notoriously loud. They have always been, give it time even the spec will squeak, creak, and pop. Performance is never quiet!!!

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Subarus are notoriously loud. They have always been, give it time even the spec will squeak, creak, and pop. Performance is never quiet!!!

Na uh. My '96 was quiet. My '99 has added resonators in it and at 2800 RPMs it sounds mean. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet it still quite on the highway.

You are correct in the fact that noises develop. I still have that loud cooling pop I havent figured out yet.

Beemers are less reliable and cost way more to maintain.

But they have some cool features. I drove my dad's 330xi today. Grabbed my mom's key (or whatever it is now. Compute chip radio transmittor I reckon) and it moved the seat up for her position. It remembers where you left your seat, mirrors, radio station. Its friggin awesome. On the contrary, the AWD system is no where near as good as Subaru or Audi.

Well, sure. A blown gasket is not going to be "wide" enough to sound right. It'll be all huffy and puffy and sputtery. Not loud, clear, deep, and boxer rumbly. Know that you have to take the gaskets out, why not TRY it before you KNOCK it?

I still don’t understand this “mod” of your Hogmeat. I actually blew my Y pipe to muffler gasket this weekend (very similar to your mod) and it sounds like ass. This is complete trash at its finest :(

Dude, sell the Spec and get a Camery hybrid then you don't have to hear anything but the rustle of your soy chip bag and the hideous whine of Kenny G..:lol:

I can barely hear my Spec when its running. It is a very quiet ride. We'll see what time brings.

Archived