LegacyGT.com

What do you recommend (oil change)

I put Royal Purple in my car about 21,000 miles or so and i am at 23,000 i know that Royal purple is supposed to last quite a while. i hear that 10,000 miles it about right. i run my car like a subaru. easy most of the time then when i want to feel what its got wich is a lot of the time i just let it go. im thinking that i would change it about 25,000 any suggestions? since my 30,000 mile service is comming up soon im not sure on what to do? maybe wait or maybe not...

Today's oils are pretty stout, and synthetics are particularly comfortable with extended drain intervals. 7k shouldn't be an issue, unless you are in a very dusty air environment, or always do many short trips, then you might want to scale back the OCI to about 5-6k, and then have UOA's done a few times to zero-in on what your conditions may allow.

IMO if you change an expensive oil like RP at anything less than 5k at least, you're wasting $. Get a UOA done (as has already been suggested), RP should be good for at least 7.5k.

It doesn't matter what we think, it's what SOA thinks if you want your warranty to be in effect. They do not recommend longer oil change intervals with synthetic. Period. Follow the manual until your warranty is up then do WTF you want...then it's your dime to fix it if it breaks.
It is still ugly.

Which is why I see no reason to use those expensive oils, at least while under warranty. No reason why any decent SM rated dino or blend won't give our motors all the protection they need to lead a long and happy life with 3.75k oil changes. With that maintenance schedule, our engines will probably outlast the rest of the car.

sounds good thanks for the info all. well im not sure if my warranty is still effective i mean i have 24,000 last untill 35,000 but i cleared my headlights, hawg zawst, intake silencer not that they would know about that... jsut simple things i dont know maybe it is but i have been changing my own oil, having my tires rotated al local tire shop. and keeping my recipts. My dealership that i use is an hour away and i have a full time career so pretty busy. Thanks again.

Which is why I see no reason to use those expensive oils, at least while under warranty. No reason why any decent SM rated dino or blend won't give our motors all the protection they need to lead a long and happy life with 3.75k oil changes. With that maintenance schedule, our engines will probably outlast the rest of the car.
True, a dino would probably do pretty well on an NA car.

Which begs the question - how long do these turbos last? My previous turbo motors usually lost turbos at about 80kmiles... I keep my cars MUCH longer than that... so if a synth offers me more protection, then I am all for it. Especially since an AP and other mods have probably affected my warranty anyway... and are putting more stress on the motor/turbo...

I have used M1 in ALL my cars for this reason, the LGT has had it since 6k miles.

True, a dino would probably do pretty well on an NA car.

Which begs the question - how long do these turbos last? My previous turbo motors usually lost turbos at about 80kmiles... I keep my cars MUCH longer than that... so if a synth offers me more protection, then I am all for it. Especially since an AP and other mods have probably affected my warranty anyway... and are putting more stress on the motor/turbo...

I have used M1 in ALL my cars for this reason, the LGT has had it since 6k miles.

The problem for me is that I've yet to see any scientific evidence that our turbos will suffer if we don't use dino. I've seen posts on various forums from folks who used dino on older turbos for 200k with no issues (yes that's just anecdotal evidence, but I've only seen anecdotal evidence in support of synth as well). I'm just not convinced we NEED synth for the longevity of our motors/turbos. If it was a necessity, I'd think Subaru would've found that in testing and recommended synth as a result. I'm not saying one shouldn't use synth if they're so inclined, but rather I don't see it as an absolute requirement.

The problem for me is that I've yet to see any scientific evidence that our turbos will suffer if we don't use dino. I've seen posts on various forums from folks who used dino on older turbos for 200k with no issues (yes that's just anecdotal evidence, but I've only seen anecdotal evidence in support of synth as well). I'm just not convinced we NEED synth for the longevity of our motors/turbos. If it was a necessity, I'd think Subaru would've found that in testing and recommended synth as a result. I'm not saying one shouldn't use synth if they're so inclined, but rather I don't see it as an absolute requirement.
In order for Subaru to recommend it, they would likely need to see a PROBLEM with dino, and then only recommend synth. It's a business, after all, and giving you dino is far cheaper than giving you synth.

Secondly, if they *required* synth, the Magnesson-Moss act would then require that they provide it to you free of charge, which, again, they are not going to want to do.

Thirdly, they certainly don't test the motors to run for over 200k miles. The bean counters only want to clear the warranty period (100k miles) and then the rest is up to you. If you plan to get rid of your car before then, or never mod it, then by all means, stick to dino. My old '93 MX6 has gone 163k miles, and had a factory warranty of 30k miles, I think... maybe 50k. I can bet they didn't test it to this level either... but I certainly keep my cars much longer than the manufacturer intends me to, so I'll stick to dino for longevity.

Fourth, if you mod the car, you are putting more stress on the motor, so it should, in theory, have a relatively shorter life. Anything you can do to extend the protection or life of a harder-working motor should be a good thing.

Fifth, it's been proven through UOAs that synthetics, in some cases (not in all, I'll admit), can reduce wear metals. Wear = damage, so anything to reduce wear implies a longer life for the motor (at least for compression and other oiled parts...)

Sixth - It's been seen quite often that switching to a synthetic can allow for longer OCIs (saving you the added expense of the synth) and improve mileage/power (marginally) which implies better lubrication. Again, this implies longer life due to lower wear.

Can you run for 200k on dino? Sure, you can... it's been done. Could you last longer on synth? Based on the wear data, I can't see why not.

Your all right - the bottom line is....as long as you use a good quality oil with regular schedule changes you shouldn't have much problems. It's how you drive that will cause the most damage.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Your all right - the bottom line is....as long as you use a good quality oil with regular schedule changes you shouldn't have much problems. It's how you drive that will cause the most damage.

That's probably the most accurate statement on this thread.

Straight out of Road & Track Sept. '06, page 148.

"Killjoys that we are, we have to say there is no noticeable performance degradation associated with used/dirty oil, but noticeable performance gains or losses stern more from the owner's mind looking for affirmation for spending the money."

Read this morning and thought I share it.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Straight out of Road & Track Sept. '06, page 148.

"Killjoys that we are, we have to say there is no noticeable performance degradation associated with used/dirty oil, but noticeable performance gains or losses stern more from the owner's mind looking for affirmation for spending the money."

Read this morning and thought I share it.

I can tell you that from my experience on my car, and other people's cars (parent's, wife's, friends) that the mileage does, in fact, increase with the usage of M1 synthetic. Heck, my snowblower even noticed a reduction in consumption with M1. Sure, MY opinion may be biased, since I know what I put in there... but my wife and parent's didn't know, and they noticed a slight increase (1mpg, typically)... and none of them are vehicularly-inclined nor did they change their driving habits because of my oil change (which I may have done subconciously, I admit).

Bottom line is that it makes a measurable difference, as far as I can see. As for power increases, I have no idea, nor any care to measure those... because they will be insignificant.

Archived