LegacyGT.com

Handling: Legacy vs. Mazda 6?

After all, I had to put off getting my Legacy for a couple of months, due to some costly repairs at our new home, so I'll be behind the wheel of my Mazda 6 for a little while longer. However, for those who have driven both, how do you think they compare? I've driven a four-pot legacy for a brief spin - certainly not enough to get the feel of it, but I did notice the steering had less road feel. What do you guys think?

Shady

we have a LGT and a 6 (4 cyl) - my wife mainly drives the 6, but i do take it out sometimes - even had the chance to auto-x it a few times last summer.

the steering is much softer in the 6, with very little feedback compared to the LGT. The 6 is also much more prone to understeer.

The brakes on the 6 are excellent in my opinion, very good feedback and response from them. - the car stops very quickly and predictably compared to the LGT - where you really have to mash the pedal to get it it respond. (Once you get used to the legacy though, it can also be very repsonsive and predictable - just not as quick to stop)

the 6 is softer than the LGT around the corners, but not by much. However the seats are much softer and more plush, so that may add to the overall softness of the ride. The Legacy has very firm seats, they'll wear out on the extended trips.

The 6 is the car we always try to take on longer trips, does better on gas, and is much more comfortable - however from a performance and handling standpoint - the LGT pretty much destroys it in all aspects except braking.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Of course, we don't get the GT per se in this part of the world. The one I'm after is the 3.0R. Does that correspond to the GT? And do your comments apply to that vehicle as well?

Speaking of the seats, I will be taking the car on a 3000-mile round trip to Jordan at least once a year. I've read comments in several other places corresponding to your comment about the seats not being confortable or supportive enough. How big is the issue?

Shady

The 3.0 is a very nice, refined engine. It has slightly less torque and horsepower than the 2.5 T, and the power comes on more gradually with rising RPM. The 3.0 has less vibration, and seems quieter. I would say it has more of a luxury feel, less of a sport feel than the 2.5 T.

We just took in a mazda 6S in trade, personally someone would have to pay me to own that car. Handling isnt toooo bad, except the turning radius is absolutely horrible. The manual shifter is hands down the worste i have ever felt. It feel slike a piece of wood banging around inside a bucket! Fit and finish is on par i guess. I have no idea abotu the Mazda Speed though, I hope they have a better shifter in that thing

I would say it has more of a luxury feel, less of a sport feel than the 2.5 T.

And that's exactly what I'm after :icon_wink

You're right, we won't be getting the MPS in Saudi Arabia. The dealer's marketing manager told me it's because of the hot, dusty weather and the quality of commercially available motor oils not lending themselves to turbocharging. The Subaru dealer's people told me the exact same thing about not getting the LGT and the STi. Indeed, turbocharged cars are known to be troublesome in this part of the world. With the hot weather, the turbo in my Typhoon is pretty much useless.

Shady

LOL, I know, it's an irony. We do have some of the best motor oils, but that alone is not enough. It's the weather that doesn't help turbo engines or turbochargers. My Typhoon has only 42,000 kilometers on it and I've just rebuilt the engine, only to find that it had been rebuilt at least once before by the previous owner. Even after I'm done restoring it, I won't be taking it out often. That's why the Seat Leon was such a failure in this country, and that's why people who own turbocharged Renaults don't often use them as daily drivers (or always get into arguments with the dealer.) I might even sell the damn thing to be able to make the down payment for the Subie. Problem is, I love the truck! (not to mention that it's all paid for :D

Shady

We just sold my wife's Mazda6 and I was actually driving it today to have a 3rd party inspect it for the buyer. I still like it a lot. The steering is lighter in the 6 than my LGT, but quicker off center, so it feels more responsive. The stock brakes in the 6 are better than the ones in my LGT with Carbotech Bobcat pads and Goodrich SS lines. Stronger and better feeling. As someone mentioned earlier, the turning radius of the 6 is ridiculously large compared to the LGT, or just about any car out there that doesn't seat 15 people! :lol:

Both cars display similar amounts of steady-state understeer, but you can more easily provoke rotation in the LGT. The 6 rides firmly, but a touch more comfortably than the LGT and seems to handle large irregularities better. The 6 is a bit larger inside, with a much larger trunk. Power wise, I've never driven a Legacy with the 3.0 H6, but our Tribeca has the same motor and it is very smooth. I'd imagine it to be well suited motor to the Legacy, and marginally quicker than the V6 powered Mazda6.

• 1 year later...

I haven't read any reviews critical of the Mazda6's handling--they all seem to say it handles great. I have read a review or two stating criticizing the Legacy's handling:

"Just don't look to the Legacy for true sport sedan performance. Senior Road Test Editor Ed Hellwig enjoyed the Legacy's feel around town, but found it too soft for serious cornering. "It's got the guts to go fast, but the suspension caves too easily when pushed. The tires give up early and it rolls too much to really rip corners."
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=103180/pageNumber=4

I've also test driven a Legacy GT and felt a little uneasy taking curves at high speed and even almost lost control once on a lower-speed, tighter curve. But it held fast on all other curves. I haven't been able to yet put a Mazda6 to the test on curves.

Archived