LegacyGT.com

1st Check up

So I called the service department to schedule my first maintenance for my LGT and was surprised by what the Service Tech told me. So I said that I want to bring my car in for the 3000 mile check up. The Service Tech said ok, took my contact info and scheduled the time.

Heres where I was surprised. I asked the Service Tech what was included in the first check up and he said the oil and oil filter will be changed. Then they will top off all other fluids, do a tire pressure check, and whatever else thats included in the "21 Point" check. So I said cool. The Service Tech said that it would cost only $29.95. So I was like right on. Then the Tech went on to say that IF I want, I could either go with Mobil 1 full synthetic for $9 or so dollars per quart or Royal Purple fro $10+ dollars a quart.

Did any of your local sevice department offer the same "option" as mine did? Do you think its worth it to go with the Synthetic oil at this point?

Change the oil yourself...

For Mobil 1 EP including your filter it would cost you 35.00 compared to 75 @ the dealer;)

5qts of Mobil1 EP @ Walmart.....24.95

OEM filter or Premium make.......10.00

Changing the oil on our cars is VERY easy....

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Change the oil yourself. Takes about 1/2 hr if you have the tools. Opinion varies but some people suggest staying with dino oil until ~10k miles then switch to sync or a DIY sync blend. The reasoning behind the wait is to reduce oil consumption in the long term...

You can buy a case of OEM filters and gaskets online for $72 + shipping. Besides the OEM filter you can get a case of Nippon filters for ~$57 from europeanautomotive.com. Denso/Nippon used to make the OEM filters and they are good stuff.

Nine dollars a quart? That's a fantastic markup for Mobil One.

Yeah, I was like what the hell???? I could get a quart for half that price.

You guys are right, I called the Service department back and said that I'm gonna do it myself.

Purchase a Fumoto valve.......it's well worth the $$:)

No need to buy crush washer's ever again!!!!!!

I'd recommend having the 1st change done by someone else since SOA must use air tools to get the filter on! But later a fumoto is a must. I believe it's a F105, get one with a nipple then it's easy to drain the oil into old containers.

As for syn vs dyno I'm waiting until about the 10k mark before I switch, as I'd like a little more break-in on the engine before I switch. At that point I'll be checking oil consumption (some people have had oil consumption issues with syn).

Purchase a Fumoto valve.......it's well worth the $$:)

No need to buy crush washer's ever again!!!!!!

I did. Just put it on during the last change. I got the version with a nipple because I also have a fluid recepticle that creates a vacuum and I can connect it with tubing. Ideally I should just have to connect the tube, open the Fumoto valve and pump the oil directly into the container. No draining, so much less mess.

Have you tried the K&N oil filter? It has a 1" cap welded on the top that can be used to remove the filter with a socket & wrench, so you don't have to figure out how to get a strap wrench on it or else use one of those things that fits over the entire filter.

Oh yeah. I get Royal Purple at Pep Boys for $6.00/quart.

I'd recommend having the 1st change done by someone else since SOA must use air tools to get the filter on!

Just get a oil filter socket, you will want it for later oil change anyway.

I tried using just a strap wrench on my first oil change and it just wouldn't grip. I eventually give in and got a socket and it comes right off.

link and/or pics?

www.fumoto.com. Check out Scuby mods for an install (photo courtesyof scubby mods) ScoobyMods - Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

Also no pump neccessary to get the oil out, it drains out in a couple of minutes, about the same speed at the non-nipple version.

Just get a oil filter socket, you will want it for later oil change anyway.

I tried using just a strap wrench on my first oil change and it just wouldn't grip. I eventually give in and got a socket and it comes right off.

Tried a rubber strap wrench and a aluminumn one and couldn't find a cap style that'd match the filter. I was half way tempted to use a plumbers wrench then I thought about what would happen if I broke the filter...:lol:

Next change was pretty easy came off with the strap wrench so no need for the K&N!

oildrainvalve1.jpg.1390f69a3dbedbc8d319054843434c4f.jpg

www.fumoto.com. Check out Scuby mods for an install (photo courtesyof scubby mods) ScoobyMods - Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

Also no pump neccessary to get the oil out, it drains out in a couple of minutes, about the same speed at the non-nipple version.

Tried a rubber strap wrench and a aluminumn one and couldn't find a cap style that'd match the filter. I was half way tempted to use a plumbers wrench then I thought about what would happen if I broke the filter...:lol:

Next change was pretty easy came off with the strap wrench so no need for the K&N!

1) Didn't write that the pump was necessary. Wrote that is was less messy using it since the container is the vacuum pump.

2) Didn't write that the filter could not be taken off with a strap wrench. Wrote that a K&N was easier, less messy, and fewer scrapped knuckles from squeezing in where a wrench could work.

Change the oil yourself...

For Mobil 1 EP including your filter it would cost you 35.00 compared to 75 @ the dealer;)

5qts of Mobil1 EP @ Walmart.....24.95

OEM filter or Premium make.......10.00

Changing the oil on our cars is VERY easy....

I like the Pennzoil Platinum @ Walmart for < $4/quart.

Also, see if they'll let you bring our own oil - both my dealer and my non-dealer service places did..

HV

Archived