LegacyGT.com

Subaru's real stand on synthetic oil!

So basically I have my music and my web browser, what else do you REALLy need though. :icon_bigg

Windows

• Intel Pentium processor
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Home Edition (Service Pack 1 or 2), Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2), Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows Server 2003, or Windows NT (Service Pack 6 or 6a)
  • 128MB of RAM (256MB recommended)
  • Up to 90MB of available hard-disk space
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 (or higher), Netscape 7.1 (or 8.0), Firefox 1.0, or Mozilla 1.7

:iam:

Adobe Reader is a pretty essential web browsing tool.

And now for something completely different...

ba01.jpg.1288459243fff289a8954d40fedf8d7a.jpg

of course mobil is going to recommend you run synthetic. if you really want to know if it makes a difference, get an oil analysis. you'll find that the least wear occurs when you change the oil every 3000-4500 miles, synthetic or not.

of course mobil is going to recommend you run synthetic. if you really want to know if it makes a difference, get an oil analysis. you'll find that the least wear occurs when you change the oil every 3000-4500 miles, synthetic or not.

Not at all what we have found. We have a Ford van and my old Subaru using dino oil past 150K miles, with no evidence of wear particles building up at 7500 mile changes. Though we ordinarily changed at 5K because it was easier to keep track of.

Our Chevy van has an oil life system and suggested the change at 8,925 miles. All the new trucks (and the Subaru, a Honda V6 and Quest w/V6) are using Mobil 1. None have been tested yet as they're all pretty new.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 4 weeks later...
We've been running synthetic for about 25,000 miles. When the wife took the LGT in for oil change at 27,000 miles last week, the service manager told her they're no longer recommending the use of synthetic do to engine light coming on and ruff running motor issues. Anybody else get this from their service dept.?

We've been running synthetic for about 25,000 miles. When the wife took the LGT in for oil change at 27,000 miles last week, the service manager told her they're no longer recommending the use of synthetic do to engine light coming on and ruff running motor issues. Anybody else get this from their service dept.?

nope. had full synthetic since 6k (at 31k now). no issues at all.

That's crap, get them to show you a letter from SOA.

My service department still uses it.

I just called another dealer here in New England to ask about synthetics in the 2.5GT. He hadn't heard about any issues with the 2.5 turbo's specifically, but has seen many reported issues with synthetics in Subaru's 6 cyl. powerplant. Because of this, he stated he won't even put synthetic in the 2.5GT's. I asked where all this was coming from and he said Subaru of New England. I asked whether Subaru would warranty work on cars running synthetic....his response was "he can't answer that".

My dealer has had a few problems with STIs consuming oil, and they switched to Mobil1 5w50. The consumption is going down.

So I guess for them synthetics have been a good thing.

Wow, 5W50. Never seen that in a store. I use Mobil1 0W40. It has helped reduce the oil consumption.

My neighbor had one of the first BMW E46 M3s made. He had the engine replaced under warranty. He told me that they changed the oil to something crazy like 15W60 synthetic. I don't know if they still use that.

Hey guys,

There are many myths and assumptions being made about mineral and synthetic oils, so here are some useful links. In particular, I think it should be noted that oil, no matter what type or brand, does its job as long as the manufacturer recommendations are met and it's within its operating limits.

For example, a low compression, low HP engine with only a 2 quart pan running sythetic will likely need more frequent changes than a forced-induction with an 8 quart pan running mineral oil. There are many variables out there (compression, cooling capacity of the engine, number of moving parts creating friction, size of the oil pan etc.) which dictate how long a particular oil will maintain its ability to capture contaminants, viscosity and molecular integrity. Old Porsche's had 12 or 14 quart capacities which cost their owners $150 per change - was this because of the cheap mineral oil in it? No, in fact many models were supplied with synthetic from the factory; the reason is because many of these engines were air-cooled (no water heat exchangers i.e. radiators), thus more heat had to be absorbed by the oil, breaking it down more quickly.

No doubt synthetic oil is a better product ounce for ounce, but other variables (such as engine type, compresion, driving style, environment etc.) dictate how often you should change your oil.

here are some good links I found...

Motor Oil Myths and Facts

Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I noticed at my service dept that they now have Mobil 1 ads up. I asked and they said, ya Subaru is now saying it's ok to use Mobil 1, B4 they took no stand on it, and one of the service writers said I should still change it every 3k because it looked really dirty. Also one of the tech's tried to sell me Amsoil, I guess he is a rep for it.

Yes. The dealer claims they suggest not to use Mobil I because SOA suggested not to use Mobil I. We use MI in our fleet of five vehicles and do oil analysis on them, so it's not a completely trivial issue to us to change.

Undoubtedly SOA's left hand has thrashed the dealer with a wet noodle for telling me what their right hand told them....

-----------------------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

Back in February I received the following response to the question of whether or not I could use Mobil I synthetic oil in my 06 Outback 3.0R:

##########

...Yes, you can use synthetic oil in your Subaru. If you do use synthetic oil, we would recommend that you always use it in your engine

because your engine will become accustomed to it. The same goes if you decide to use 'regular' oil.

Synthetic oils can be used in our engines if the user follows the engine oil recommendations prescribed in the owner's manual. Subaru has not tested the compatibility of all synthetic oils with engine seals, but the petroleum industry does adhere to standards for refining process which meet Subaru requirements. Subaru does not guarantee the performance of any brand of engine oil.

Engine oil guidelines: - only use engine oil that meets or exceeds API classification designated in the Owner's Manual for the vehicle. - only use engine oil that meets the VISCOSITY requirements for the ambient temperatures under which the vehicle will be operated as outlined in the Owner's Manual - THE ENGINE OIL MUST BE CHANGED AT INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THE WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE BOOKLET FOR THE VEHICLE. SOME SYNTHETIC OIL REFINERS RECOMMEND EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS SUBARU DOES NOT

RECOMMEND DEVIATION FROM THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.....

John J. Mergan

Subaru of America Inc.

######

I went to Manchester Subaru today and the service manager told me they'd received a technical briefing suggesting they NOT use Mobil I in VVT and turbocharged engines.

Could you please check with the service staff and determine if Mobil I is or is not suitable and recommended for use in the my car?

Thank you!

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:00 PM

Subject: Re: 00-General Inquiries (E-mail #704880)

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I am not aware of any change to our position on the use of synthetic engine oil or Mobil 1

specifically. I searched our Technical Bulletins and did not find any regarding synthetic oil. Please let me research your message further

with our Technical Services Department. Once I have any information from them, I will contact you. Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

############

Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 1:26 PM

To: E-Commerce CDS MailBox Account

Subject: RE: 00-General Inquiries (E-mail #704880)

The following message was received by SOAMail:

The specific issue the dealer reported was that the Variable Valve Timing technology used by Subaru did not function optimally with Mobil I.

There are many motor oils - conventional, synthetic blends, and synthetics - available. So it's no big issue if I should use something

other than Mobil I.

##########

Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 2:30 PM

Subject: Engine oil (Case #894372)

Thank you for your patience while we handle your case.

I have contacted Manchester Subaru..... The dealer recommends that you do not use synthetic oil in your vehicle.

The dealer will sometimes have different recommendations that Subaru. Keep in mind, the dealers work with these vehicles consistently and they may have a different recommendation due to their experiences. We are currently working with the appropriate departments to be sure that a concern like yours does not arise in the future. [hmmmm]

Again, you can use synthetic oil in your vehicle. The dealer and Subaru do agree that regardless of what type of engine oil is used in the vehicle, it is important that you do follow the maintenance schedule and guidelines in your warranty and maintenance booklet. Even if you do use synthetic oil, we still recommend that you have the oil changed at the recommended maintenance intervals.

If you have any further questions, or should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for

the opportunity to be of service and we wish you many safe, happy miles on your 2006 Outback!

Best wishes,

Gina Holwell

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services

e-Contact Group

Who Dares Wins

スバル

This entire discussion sounds very familiar to me, except completely the opposite argument. Anyone who has owned a VW Passat with the 1.8T will be familiar with the oil sludge fiasco. VW decided to REQUIRE synthetic oils for these cars because of their superior high temp performance in a turbo charged engine. VW also increased the size of the oil filter to increase oil capacity.

Small sump + small filter + 5000mile OCI + HOT turbo = SLUDGE or turbo turds as they were called.

If I owned a turbo charged car, I would use synthetic oil regardless of SOA's or a dealers recomendations. There is also nothing wrong with M1, it is a quality syn oil... just check out BITOG and you will see. German Castrol is superior but can be hard to find, especially since people keep hording it.

Archived