LegacyGT.com

Headers

I recently purchased a Cobb UP/DP and E tune from TDC and am contemplating doing it myself and have found a plethora (that's a great word) of info here on LGT.com. Something I've come across is that when installing the UP is that you'll need to pull the exhaust manifold off the vehicle which, after seeing some pics, doesn't look too bad at all. My question is that as long as I'm pulling it off, should I look into replacing it with a header set and if so, which one? I've seen Borla and that's about it. Does anyone know if we can use an aftermarket header for an STI on our vehicles? I saw one guy with a 5EAT that had a header... anyone else with some dyno/performance info on doing this... possibly with a manual transmission? Thanks much on advanced.

u dont need to pull off the exhaust manifold to install an UP/DP

dont know where you read that....

if you want a header may as well sell your cobb UP and ask TDC to send you one of the GT Spec headers w/UP that they recommend....

They are correct, you don't HAVE to. It would just make the install easier. We recomment GT Spec headers that come with an integrated UP with a veocity stack in it. So you wouldn't need the UP you just bought.

I say install what you have. The headers are an easy install later anyway if you wanted to. Otherwise you will take a small loss on the pipe you just bought.

Joe

PM Me for all your Modification Needs!

Roger... I read that you don't have to, it's just easier in the long run. I'll hit up TDC and see what they say. Anyway out there using the GT Spec set-up?

John at TDC is running them and has dyno plots somewhere I'm sure. I have them but cannot comment on them yet, I havent installed them yet

check us out here http://newenglandsubarus.com/

We have a bunch of people running them and a lot more orders coming in for them all the time. There will be a 2005 5EAT coming up here in the next few weeks to put them on with a bunch of other stage II stuff already on.

I am sure that dyno will get posted.

PM Me for all your Modification Needs!

Also get the headers coated.

I had mine on for 6 months (all in the winter, so it never even saw a hot day) and it slowly melted my plastic undertray, making it hard to get the oil-filter access panel off. One of the clips is melted to nothing. I also had 3 leaking oil filters.

Get them coated and not have the above problems, plus you willl get less heat soak and better spool!

Also get the headers coated.

I had mine on for 6 months (all in the winter, so it never even saw a hot day) and it slowly melted my plastic undertray, making it hard to get the oil-filter access panel off. One of the clips is melted to nothing. I also had 3 leaking oil filters.

Get them coated and not have the above problems, plus you willl get less heat soak and better spool!

Thanks for the advise. Could help some avoid these issues.

Don't forget about the APS equal length header with up-pipe...it is wicked.

http://www.aps-wrx.com/us_spec/subaru/sti/headers/installed2.jpg

^^^^

Skeeeet!!!

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Haha, that pic isn't of my car! My header is still stock. A local shop has a bunch of those APS headers in stock and keep bugging me to buy one. I think they are $995.00...to much for me at the moment...adding on to the house instead...

Do the headers, UP/DP all at the same time...exactly what I'm doin...

You'll be in for it once you step up that far from stage 1...at least that's what i'm hoping...

Just make sure you aquire all the parts you need...that was/is a pain and headache for me...

I remember another post said gt spec headers gained 11hp/18tq on an STI. Not sure what headers would do on a stage 2 LGT. Maybe TDC will let us know soon.

I'm disappointed to hear about the melting??? I was really hoping the $200 coating wasn't necessary. :(

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

I remember another post said gt spec headers gained 11hp/18tq on an STI. Not sure what headers would do on a stage 2 LGT. Maybe TDC will let us know soon.

I'm disappointed to hear about the melting??? I was really hoping the $200 coating wasn't necessary. :(

Just get it coated, better spool and less heat-soak is always a good thing!:)

Archived