LegacyGT.com

Acura RDX, turbocharged, what do you think?

So the RDX is debuting, with a very similar engine as the lgt, (250hp 4cyl turbo)... think they'll make it work? would you buy one? it is coming out at about 32k, though im sure acura wont discount it. i dunno, seems like a competitor to the legacy wagon to me

Yea....more of a Tribeca competitor.

Subaru needs to address that vehicles power deficiency asap either with turbocharging or bumping the displacement to 3.5.

I agree. From a marketing standpoitn they shoudl turbocharge the 3L H6, offer it in just Automatic. Offer it in Manual the following year.

The vehicle will sell simpply on the grounds that it is a H6T and the autotranny for a year will give them time to work out any transmision weaknesses. By adding a Manual tranny the followign your they will pick up those tha twanted it with a manual not an auto and it will keep sales steady.

Additionally the OEM parts to turbo charge the H6 would sell very well.

Guest JessterCPA

I like both the CX-7 and the RDX. Both seem to fill that crossover niche well.

Interesting year with both BMW & Acura going the turbo route.

Jesse

I think the RDX has the potential to be a good car for Acura. Like the TSX, it is foregoing a power struggle with other auto makers' offerings (RAV4, CX-7) by really upping the luxury quotient of the vehicle. The interior materiels look like something off of the RL, and blow away anything offered in the RAV4 and CX-7, so I think Honda is hoping to gain success going that route, although I will say that some of the design lines in the interior are kind of sloppy- I will provide examples if requested...

With that said, I am really starting to lose interest in the Honda/Acura lineup- in my eyes, they just seem to be on cruise control. They are introducing nothing truly staggering in the same way the original Accord, Civic, NSX, Legend and s2000- something that made people take notice. The latest Civic is probably the most recent car that has sent companies back to the drawing board because of how radical the car is. Their Accord hybrid is considered a failure, the Odyssey and Ridgeline are doing relatively succedssful, but there just isnt anything in A/H's lineup that I LUST after. They are just... there. All of their potentially interesting offerings they let wither on the vine (step forward NSX, S2000, RL).

A new front end and rear end will do more for Tribeca sales than a turbo or higher displacement.

And Subaru does have the original crossover small SUV -- the Forrester. They could seriously boost the prestige of that line by offering a limited edition Forrester STi.

A new front end and rear end will do more for Tribeca sales than a turbo or higher displacement.

And Subaru does have the original crossover small SUV -- the Forrester. They could seriously boost the prestige of that line by offering a limited edition Forrester STi.

I believe that Subaru crossed over in 1996 with the Legacy Outback (albeit not as an SUV per se) but the Toyota RAV4 (cute ute) debutted at U.S. Dealers in 1996 a full year before the 1997 Impreza-based Foresters hit the beach here in the U.S dealers as 1998s (first gen first year)

That Subaru has taken the market (and power levels) up with the Forester, is what's driving the RAV4 and CRV, Freelander, etc., and now the CX7 and RDX.

FWIW - You'll never convince me that the transverse-mount engine (with cobbled on AWD systems) setups of any of the "other" utes I've mentioned, will hold a candle to Subarus AWD system. Audi in the A4, A6, A8 (not A3, TT, Cabriolet) comes the closest but they've chosen to go the active braking route rather than LSD to pin the spin. They might might make the power, but they won't put it to the ground as efficiently or with the degree of low CG, low moment of inertia, and inherent balance that the Subes possess.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I would love a forrester Sti, but talk about a car that the American people wont accept!! :lol:

I was really hoping that Subaru would bring it this year as I was all set to get one for my wife. Alas <sigh>, it may not make it...

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It's only a matter of time until they toss the whole RDX drivetrain into a TSX. Then Subaru better bring it ala Legacy STI style to school those punk ass bitches.

Actually to be honest, that STILL wouldnt get Honda to where I would like them to be. The TSX already weighs as much as the Legacy GT, throw in the AWD and turbocharged engine and it looks like we might have another Mazdaspeed 6 on our hands- a capable performer granted, but a couple hundred pounds more than it should be.

If honda wants to REALLY scare the competition for the base 3-seres, A4, G35, Legacy, A3 and other entry level sedans, they need to develop a car that weighs about 3400 lbs, still manage to keep the TSX's amazing interior (although ditch the high cowl, yuck), put in SH-AWD, offer 5-sp auto and 6-speed manual, and give us the turbo engine with 260hp/260 torque OR 280/260. Top it all off with a price not to exceed $32,000 and you have one hell of a car on your hands.

The only problem with that is that it makes the TL look downright pointless. :(

If honda wants to REALLY scare the competition for the base 3-seres, A4, G35, Legacy, A3 and other entry level sedans, they need to develop a car that weighs about 3400 lbs, still manage to keep the TSX's amazing interior (although ditch the high cowl, yuck), put in SH-AWD, offer 5-sp auto and 6-speed manual, and give us the turbo engine with 260hp/260 torque OR 280/260. Top it all off with a price not to exceed $32,000 and you have one hell of a car on your hands.

forgive me if im just hungover, but didnt you basically just name the legacy and spec b? maybe sans TSX interior, but what would make that better than a legacy?

forgive me if im just hungover, but didnt you basically just name the legacy and spec b? maybe sans TSX interior, but what would make that better than a legacy?

Shhh, that was the point.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Archived