LegacyGT.com

Future of Impreza and Legacy

SLegacy99

I was reading my Road and Track yesterday and saw the little blurp about the next Impreza. It is the hatchback we've all been seeing photos of and wondering if they were real. I dont like it so much, but maybe Ill feel differently about it in person.

I must say that I am dissapointed. I was hoping that the Impreza would get the Turbo Hybrid by '09 when I can buy a car. However, its goin in the Legacy first, and well I could never afford that. Kinda bummed. Hope my current Legacy makes it until 2010, 2011, whenever.

I doubt that is the new Impreza. Subaru has not announced anything, and I've seen 4door facelifts that look real, not like artist renderings.

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

I dont really think that this corporate face that Subaru is trying to cram down out throats is really doing that good of a job. I think the design scheme is a bit obvious, and it doesnt seem to be flattering on its most sporty offering, the STi, or its most timid, the Tribeca.

It looks as though they are trying to keep the Legacy very middle of the road, which is good for Legacy fans.

To be honest, if Subaru wants to play up its aircraft heritage, I think it would be better off done in the detailing of a car (brushed aluminum, HUD, excellent forward visibility)

To be honest, if Subaru wants to play up its aircraft heritage, I think it would be better off done in the detailing of a car (brushed aluminum, HUD, excellent forward visibility)

They did add that second wing to the rear windshield of the STi....hehe

As you can no doubt imagine, there have been many threads on this topic over at the wrx forums:

Hatchback: http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011116;p=1

4/5 door: http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011116;p=3#000043

They did add that second wing to the rear windshield of the STi....hehe

I just dont like that Subaru wants to play up its aircraft heritage, so what does their lead designer say "hey lets make the front of our cars look like a jet!!" :icon_redf

Come on... if you want to give the perception of aircraft, you dont smack them over the head of you bring aircraft cues into the design- the NSX used the F-16 as inspiration for the cockpit, HUD's are pretty straight forward, Bentleys and Jaguars use brushed ro turned aluminum in their interiors, or high quality toggle switches. Why not a sports car utilizing Cobra like cooling fans- these and other design schemes use aircraft cues without screaming to the world, "hey, look at our aircraft nosed cars!!"

http://www.carmemories.com/images/dbimages/1144.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.com/Assets/bmwm5hud.jpg

http://www.motordesktop.com/wallpaper/sportscars/Acura%20NSX%202004%20-%201024x768.jpg

That is certainly not the most flattering pic of an NSX that I've ever seen.

Makes the car look even more cab-forward and taller than it even is, with a long blocky tail, and a weird fish-face.

Normally I don't think NSXs are bad looking. This pic is not my favorite.

And I whole heartedly agree that the Subaru airplane heritage thing is too literal and confined to the grille. Either do it, and design a modern looking car that is aerodynamic with aircraft touches, or don't worry about aircraft, and just build cars that look like cars.

Personally, one of the most aircraft inspired automobiles that I can think of is in my avatar, the McLaren F1, (could also be said of Koenigsegg, and Pagani Zonda), and not because it screams "I'd rather be an airplane!" But the body lines, doors, interior, switchgear, general construction, and everything screams aerospace-grade.

And I would LOVE it if more cars, especially cars I want to buy, would come with HUD displays.

I was thinking about that the other day, for a configureable HUD. Something that can incorporate forward obstacle radar (some lux cars are getting now), LEO radar detector indicators (kinda like valentine one's remote display) and other things, and have the driver be able to select what is displayed and how. I was thinking something even aftermarket, to avoid planned obsolescence, and more compatability with third party products like MP3 player display, and radar detectors, etc... that might be interesting to show in an unobtrusive manner.

Car companies spend SOOO much money on safety during accidents, but they don't seem to be improving driver interaction and awareness very much. things that can make people better drivers and more aware of information.

in the age of computer desktop widgets, and LCD displays with super high resolution, and devices with computing power to spare in very small packages, this kind of thing should be emminently do-able.

I would love to help design a Subaru GT coupe, based on the Legacy GT, in a new, updated, much sportier SVX idiom, with some of this stuff incorporated.

All other considerations aside, I like the 4 door variant that I posted the best. That 2 door is hideous.

In response to the Legacy Sti it would appear that Japan will get one in 2008. I'm hoping that if the Spec B sales of the unlimited version in 2007 are up to par that they will introduce this hopefully by 2010, maybe more realistically by 2012. I would love to be buying a second generation legacy Sti by 2015. But hey, lets keep it in today.

In response to the Legacy Sti it would appear that Japan will get one in 2008. I'm hoping that if the Spec B sales of the unlimited version in 2007 are up to par that they will introduce this hopefully by 2010, maybe more realistically by 2012. I would love to be buying a second generation legacy Sti by 2015. But hey, lets keep it in today.

Dont forget to throw the fact in that in '09 the hybrid Legacy is coming into play. OOOO spicy.

...never know, could be real fuel efficient or a supercar like the GS450h. My bet is fuel efficient, but since its a turbo, well, would Subaru ever let us down like that? No.

I really like the new lexus IS, but as far as the impreza is concerned they need to step their game up if they want to keep up with the new Civic from a styling, and quality. Especially with the 4d SI coming out soon. Sure its not as fast but 0-60 isnt everything.

However i see the 5d becoming a hot segment, especially with the GTI and the re-birth of the rabbit...

Make it with a usable backseat and a dash cluster that isnt nasty ugly and I might be back in a subaru showroom in 08..

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Subaru you can do anything you want but PLEASE REMOVE THE SEAT FRONT!!!

The new Impreza and B9 front looks like a crappy Seat from Spain. Seat is #%&!!¤##! -cars and Subaru will ruin their Europe sales if they look like it.

Would Toyota design their front like Fiat or Lada? don't think so....

Who from Seat has infiltrated Subarus design team and druged them?

http://www.seat.se/su/se/cordoba/site/gallery/exterior/.article-klickable/img-ext-09,property=Image.jpg

maby this post would be better in the WTF ! section...

The pic of that 2 door hatchback STi was a photoshop picture.. and I agree, It looks extremly goofy. But remember, if they do release a 2door I doubt that wing will be on it, as the 07's have lost the tall wing and gone with a more understated decklid spoiler. But then again, it's just speculation.

I would think that if they were to release a two door impreza, it would look something like the Prodrive P2. or the B11s Concept (this pic from 2003)

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Subaru_co_uk.nsf/NULL/15B9351678182CFE80256E8200499A7A/$FILE/b11s_f3q_studio.jpg

http://www.subaru.co.jp/r1/

As for Subaru playing up it's aircraft herritage with new front end treatments... they look like Edsel's... if they have to do anything to the front they should go to the grill treatment that is on the 07 legacy's with the chrome "wings" on either side of the sube emblem in the grill, it's tasteful, not to tacky...

My personal favorite sube look where the ones with the bug eyes and big round driving lights.. 2002 Impreza WRX STi ???

Archived