LegacyGT.com

Grease in fender wells?!

The other day while I was cleaning my car I noticed little pebbles stuck on my fender wells (front). I put my finger up to it and found that there was a black grease residue on the fender wells causing these bits of rock to stick. I also found the grease on the underbody of the car just under the driver/passenger sides. Can anybody tell me what this is or what I should do? thanks bobby

I have this too - I think it's just a tar-like underbody coating. Usually it's used for rust prevention and sound deadening. I had to take all my wheels off to clean the inside of the rims and tires - it was sprayed everywhere. Don't think there is much you can do about it...

search for a thread with the word 'cosmolene' or something to that effect. It's just for rust-proofing, so wouldn't worry about it. As for the rims, you can use goo-gone, or something similar, to take it off. I think that name of the thread was 'oozing from the wheels' or something...can't find it, otherwise, I would post it. Later, i.

There was a nearly dry sticky substance on the inside of the wheels (I used a light weight oil to disolve it to clean my rims), then there is some wet slimy greasy stuff inside the wheel wells. Different stuff. Don't know why they would put something that much like light weight greese on the inside of the wheel wells.

I was about to say, sometimes they overfil areas around the hub but if yr still getting it Franz, hmm sounds a bit strange for mine. Not sure if it would be for rust proofing either. Franz, have a chat to Seth over the weekend and see if he is having the same thing, but sounds not right. I dont think anyone is Oz has experienced this although if any one from Australia has, please come forward and let us know. Adam.

Great work on gettin the pic up so quick bemani. I see what you mean, and none of it has flicked up onto the body work? Just seems strange why they would do that to plastic or whatever the material is there. But this has been happening for sometime now too. Unsure what the reason is behind it. Adam.

[quote name='bemani'][quote name='bemani']You're not talking about the same thing.[/quote] Just to clarify.[/quote] That's just tar they used for undercoating with rocks stuck in it.. it's not grease. Although it does kinda suck that it takes so long to dry up.. And you DO NOT want to take it off, because #1 you'll get rust, #2 you'll have more road noise.

Hmm DK and c_hunter, Im not so sure, granted I have a MY01 BUT, I don think i get any extra road noise and besides, that just looks rubbish. Then again, you guys in the states have different road conditions. I was just thinking....... but if inside the guard is plastic, how can it be rush proofing ? just a thought. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']Hmm DK and c_hunter, Im not so sure, granted I have a MY01 BUT, I don think i get any extra road noise and besides, that just looks rubbish. Then again, you guys in the states have different road conditions. I was just thinking....... but if inside the guard is plastic, how can it be rush proofing ? just a thought. Adam.[/quote] Overspray? Well it's just tar, not some special rust inhibitor. It does seal up where all the screws/tabs are though.

Ah, the pictures did not load the first time I looked. What we are seeing inside the front fenders is a cosmolene based coating that they spray on the undercarriage. Some of it gets on the wheelwell liners, the exhaust (you may smell it burning off when the car is new), and even the insides of the wheels. The cosmolene ought to wash off with a degreaser like simple green. That's what I used to get it off the inside of my wheels. There is regular undercoating inside the rear wheelwells and elsewhere on the car. Craig

Is it supposed to be the consistancy of a light weight grease? This stuff is thinner than vasoline! Most undercoatings I've seen have been the consistancy of slightly soft tar. They would not come of on your fingers if you just lightly touched them.

Archived