LegacyGT.com

Hi Guys....I am looking at a Garmin GPS system for the LGT. The unit that I have my eyes on is a c330 Garmin and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this particular model???:confused:

I know that I will get a bunch of responses about other sytems and Garmin models, but this is the one that I am looking for feedback about. Any help about this particular model would be appreciated.:)

are there any handheld navigation comparisons/reviews available on the web that I can read up on? I know about tomtom, garmin and magellan, but I dont know what features distinguish one from another, or which is the "best" one. Also, I'm pretty sure there must be more brands available than those 3. Thanks for any help!

I got the C330, it works quite well most of the time, but it has gone haywire and needed to "recalculate" consecutively while going on an onramp and other times for a 2-mile duration on a fwy, it does this everytime at the same locations, I'm thinking due to the crazy Los Angeles fwys...otherwise, it's pretty good.

I do notice that at times it takes different routes, perhaps it's fast to get there with certain directions, and faster to get "home" on other directions...I was heading up to the Palmdale area (about 80 miles from my home) and we took the fwy the whole way there, but on the way back "it" told me to take Angeles Crest Hwy (28 mile mountain/canyon driving, of course I was NOT going to say no to this! :D) on the way home...so...I thinking its because of the routing of the fwy system....(I don't think it's a flaw, it'll usually take you by the shortest route, of course the settings are adjustable)...good luck and let me know if you need any more details! :D

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I own it, and its a piece of shit!!!

The battery no longer works.... so if I want to use it outside the car... I'm shit out of luck. the thing takes up to 15 minutes to get a satellite signal sometimes, 3 minutes at a minimum,

when I first got it, it was awesome!, than after about 2 months of use... It sucks!

I bought it second hand so I cant return it...

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

are there any handheld navigation comparisons/reviews available on the web that I can read up on? I know about tomtom, garmin and magellan, but I dont know what features distinguish one from another, or which is the "best" one. Also, I'm pretty sure there must be more brands available than those 3. Thanks for any help!

Lots of good info at http://www.gpspassion.com. Discussion on PDA-based units, all-in-one's, etc. Lots of technical info too, like which GPS receiver chip-sets to look for, and comparison tests of their performance.

My general take on it is: Garmin is #1 with maps and routing, TomTom is #1 with user-interface and features, Magellan is close #2 comparable to Garmin.

My cousin had one in his car when we went on the AKA Rally last week. It worked fine for us and when we had to switch cars, we loaned it to another car and the Garmin got them our destination in DC faster than the OE BMW Nav in his new car. I was actually rather impressed with what it could do considering it's size and portability.

for whoever mentioned lockups/ probs with garmin- the key thing is make sure you visit their site every so often and download the newest software(once a month or so)

check out gps-passion.com for gps forums

for whoever mentioned lockups/ probs with garmin- the key thing is make sure you visit their site every so often and download the newest software(once a month or so)

check out gps-passion.com for gps forums

+1...I had a total lockup one time...the whole thing froze, couldn't change screens, couldn't turn off power, nada!...then I found out that if you remove the "face plate" of the Garmin C330, there's a reset button (but this is only a temp. fix), I download the latest software when Garmin emails it to me...very simple, only a few minutes (at most) for each download...hope this helps too :icon_bigg

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Hi Guys....I am looking at a Garmin GPS system for the LGT. The unit that I have my eyes on is a c330 Garmin and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this particular model???:confused:

I know that I will get a bunch of responses about other sytems and Garmin models, but this is the one that I am looking for feedback about. Any help about this particular model would be appreciated.:)

I have the c320, c330 and c340. You can't go wrong with Garmin products. The 330 is a fine unit but for the few xtra bucks I would go with the 340. check out GPSCity.com.

I bought the Garmin Nuvi 350 and I love it. In fact, ran the power cable behind the stereo and into the cubby. Sticking the suction cup to the floor of the cubby gives it more of a built-in look with no wires showing.

I also hardwired a FM Modulator under the dash and into the cubby as well. The Nuvi's MP3 player sounds great through the stereo. Also, the Nuvi's driving instructions are transmitted through the stereo as well.

I have the c330 installed in the cubby (see pics). I love it. I also have a Garmin Quest in my wife's car. I love the c300 - very easy to use. The only problem I've ever had with reception was in NYC - otherwise, never lost it (I do have an external antenna mounted on the dash). Accuracy is OK - makes minor errors (tells me the destination is on right when it is on left kind of thing) but generally gets me where I want to go. I'm not certain the route is always the best/quickest but as long as it takes me to my destination, I'm not all that concerned. In the 6 months I've been using it, only once did it not accept/understand an address I gave it.

For the price I see it listed for these days, it's a terrific buy IMHO.

Good luck.

EDIT - btw, the red button is a power button (even though it automatically turns on and off, it is nice to be able to turn it off when driving)

490266389_GPS001.jpg.fb34f7d0404c447273c6ad5ac5ba9572.jpg

540770427_GPS002.jpg.19cf6da90ca85ba00b4a6ae27a894be5.jpg

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Garmin NUVI c350. It costs a bit more, but it is worth the difference. The spoken street names (text to speech) help keep your eyes on the road and off of the screen, and the MP3 player is great for long trips. I believe that Buy.com and amazon both have the c350 for ~600 shipped at the moment.

I decided to stay away from the internal HD based models. Flash memory based models will be much more resistant to damage from temperature extremes and vibration. If you don't want to spend the extra on the c350, I would back up to the c320 and purchase a 2G SD card to store all of the maps on.

It all depends on what features are most important to you. Definitely hit the forums, do some research and decide for yourself what fits your needs the best.

i have the Garmin Nuvi 350. it is the best GPS system i have used. small, mobile fits in ANY car, works great, best mounting system i've seen, it might cost more but in the long run you'll be happier. btw have a Lowance iWay 500C used 4 mo. like new. pm if interrested. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

i have the Garmin Nuvi 350. it is the best GPS system i have used. small, mobile fits in ANY car, works great, best mounting system i've seen, it might cost more but in the long run you'll be happier. btw have a Lowance iWay 500C used 4 mo. like new. pm if interrested. bosco

Agree with bosco on the Nuvi 350. It is one of the thinnest, full-featured GPS system out there. It even has an MP3 player built in which you can hook up to the subaru sound system. The best thing is, it fits into the cubby hole with little modification

Nuvi-a.jpg.4bb2651752d6ca08ac999b47c7bac9fc.jpg

Nuvi-b.jpg.56496b9004d173662ca8ca28bce4b0f3.jpg

Picture Gallery

Archived