LegacyGT.com

Problem with SPT Intake install

2mchbst

I just got my intake and heat shield for my 06 LGT. I was so excited. Well, halfway through the install procedures, I get to a road block. The bolts that hold the old airbox to the frame are a different diameter than the mount for bracket that hold the intake. On top of that the other threaded end won't fit into the mounting bracket and the nut is too small that hold the bracket onto the bolt thing on the fender. So I had to put everything back together and called my local dealer....no power because of a storm last night.

I had the same problem. Subaru has confirmed they screwed up. The bushing they have included has a M8 thread instead of a M6 thread. The M8 bushing is for the WRX. Subaru is currently out of intakes so they won't be able to send you a new one. They will send an entire intake, they won't send just the part. I know I am suppose to get one, but they don't know when.

When I found out it didn't fit, I went and looked for an alternative. If you want to spend a few dollars instead of waiting till god knows when,

Go to McMaster-Carr

order part number 9217K35

The part is $1.42, with tax and shipping comes to around $5.50.

Well you have to consider this is a first run batch. There are always issues with any first run batch.

If AEM screws up I wouldn't be AS surprised even though every AEM product I've used is of excellent quality/fitment.

SPT products should be the BEST, bar none, for fitment at least. They make the car, certainly they can design another part for it. I guess they're relying on the wrong companies to farm the SPT parts out to *cough*bosal*cough*.

It's more of a logistical mistake. Odds are someone mis-labeled a part number. The wrong bushing is the one that goes with the WRX intake that they released at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if some WRX intake kits have the LGT bushing.

I agree with scotty. It sounds like an attention to detail and professionalism issue. Not a product quality issue.

Well, substitute "attention to detail" into my comments;)

Now the SPT exhaust is a whole nother matter;)

sorry you guys are having these problems but not every one came with the wrong fasteners as i've had mine on for almost amonth and i didnt have any troubles. (other than i had to do up my own heatshield)

I emailed the guy I bought the Intake from.

He offered to not send and refund my money if I wanted.

I said, "Screw it, send it anyway."

He opened all the Intakes he has and went to an LGT he has there and tested all the screws. Now that is customer service.

Now I just have to hope it arrives before the 21st so I can get it installed before the German Subaru meet.

There weren't that many units to begin with. When I ordered mine on June 17th, there were only 16 left in the country. By the 22nd, when I picked mine up, there were only 2 left and now there's none. So it might be a while. That's why I bought my own fastener incase something like this happens.

Archived