LegacyGT.com

Problem with SPT Intake install

2mchbst

I had the same problem. Subaru has confirmed they screwed up. The bushing they have included has a M8 thread instead of a M6 thread. The M8 bushing is for the WRX. Subaru is currently out of intakes so they won't be able to send you a new one. They will send an entire intake, they won't send just the part. I know I am suppose to get one, but they don't know when.

When I found out it didn't fit, I went and looked for an alternative. If you want to spend a few dollars instead of waiting till god knows when,

Go to McMaster-Carr

order part number 9217K35

The part is $1.42, with tax and shipping comes to around $5.50.

Excellent. Any idea if any local auto stores will have this part? I have autozone, R&S strauss and pep boys in the area. I'd like to get this on tomorrow morning if possible...

Doubt it. If you click on the link for McMaster Carr and use that part number, it'll give you the dimensions of the part. These things are typically used in industrial machinery applications.

Doubt it. If you click on the link for McMaster Carr and use that part number, it'll give you the dimensions of the part. These things are typically used in industrial machinery applications.

Thanks. I am going to try the local auto parts store up the road. If they do not have it, I'll order it from McMaster. Neoprene or rubber? I assume metric....

Rubber.

Thanks Scotty.

I got the bolt from McMaster and it is smaller than the one provided by SPT. It did not appear to be a problem until I tried to attach the bracket to it. Either the mount is too small or the extension (long flat part with 4 holes, 2 on each end) provided with the SPT intake is too short. I believe the extension piece provided by SPT is too short...or I am doing something completely wrong. Any thoughts?

Actually the bushing that's suppose to come with the intake has shorter studs on each end than the wrong bushings which goes in the WRX.

Did you leave all the bolts loose when you installed the intake?

I got the intake and heatshield installed. OMG, this thing is LOUD. All you hear is a loud sucking sound, spooling, and PSHHHHHHHH. I don't know if I'll be able to get used to it. One thing's for sure, this isn't a sleeper any more.

I got the intake and heatshield installed. OMG, this thing is LOUD. All you hear is a loud sucking sound, spooling, and PSHHHHHHHH. I don't know if I'll be able to get used to it. One thing's for sure, this isn't a sleeper any more.

Trust me, You will learn to control it. Give it about a week for the ECU to learn.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Actually the bushing that's suppose to come with the intake has shorter studs on each end than the wrong bushings which goes in the WRX.

Did you leave all the bolts loose when you installed the intake?

That makes sense. It was a good 1/2" from the base to the bushing. Any additional thoughts? Is that straight piece the same for all intakes? I'll give my parts guy a call. I wanted to fix it myself, but looks like I will have to send it back.

[hijack]

I need to hear this. mikebravo emailed me some clips but they werent too clear.

Is anyone else w/ the intake able to make a sound clip? If so pm me.

cheers

[carry on]

That makes sense. It was a good 1/2" from the base to the bushing. Any additional thoughts? Is that straight piece the same for all intakes? I'll give my parts guy a call. I wanted to fix it myself, but looks like I will have to send it back.

I did some measuring for you, I didn't break out the calipers. The base is about 3.5" from the bottom to the top. The straight extension is 7" long.

Hope this helps.

[hijack]

I need to hear this. mikebravo emailed me some clips but they werent too clear.

Is anyone else w/ the intake able to make a sound clip? If so pm me.

cheers

[carry on]

I'll try to get a mic for my recorder today to make a better clip

I did some measuring for you, I didn't break out the calipers. The base is about 3.5" from the bottom to the top. The straight extension is 7" long.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Scotty. That is the length of the pieces I received. WTF am I doing wrong?:confused: If I put the bracket on the dampner, the intake angles down. The dampner is supposed to be screwed all the way to the base of the car right?

It's suppose to angle down. The original airbox allows the pipe to enter horizontally because it connects at the top of the box. With the cone filter, it needs to angle down or it won't clear the hood.

It's suppose to angle down. The original airbox allows the pipe to enter horizontally because it connects at the top of the box. With the cone filter, it needs to angle down or it won't clear the hood.

+1. I ran into the filter hitting the hood because I didnt compensate for the heatsheild. Fixed now. I should read the instructions better :lol:

Thanks Scotty! Got it installed this weekend.

A thanks to Mikebravo too.

got my install done this weekend..sure enough, i had the WRX bushing.....used a tap set to get it installed the same day instead of waiting w/ thumb up a** for SOA to get me a new bushing. Liking the new found sounds!

Archived