LegacyGT.com

Am I the only one sticking to "normal" oil on my Legacy?

How do you roll? Regular Oil or Synthetic  

218 members have voted

1. 1. How do you roll? Regular Oil or Synthetic

• I'm using Regular oil for the life of my Legacy!
    • Hell no, Synthetic oil is the way to go!!

I have been racing karts since 78 and at that time there was big shift to Belray because it was mixed at 100:1 instead of 40:1 thus a big saving per annum. The other selling point was it mixed with the petrol without needing blenders such as IPA which it indeed did. Unfortunately the "mixing" quality prevented the separation needed to adequately lubricate the main bearings. My point is a perceived short term saving is not necessarily a real saving long term. Look to the big picture and sort the bullshit from the real facts.:icon_conf

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I put Mobil 1 in the LGT at the last change but I think I'll switch back to Castrol GTX. I've never run synthetic and am having trouble believing that its any better than dino oil with changes every 5K or so.

Why did you change over to mobil1 at the last oil change?

Every 5,000 miles I do it myself and it gets done right.

[RANT]

I'm astounded at how many people take their car to the dealer for routine maintenance, even free its not worth it.

The dealer's whole purpose in life is to screw you out of money. I go to the dealer to make the best deal I can on a new car and they never see me again.

[/RANT]

PLUS one FOR YOUR RANT!

Besides, someoen once put it this way. The top mechanics in the shop aren't doing the routien oil changes. That's makes sense. I'm not here to knock subaru or the dealership. I think the place I got my car is actually a good shop. However, there are probably good and bad ones throughout the country. I've had friends take their car in to get an oil change and the mechanic strips the bolt for the oil pan. Tha'ts never a good thing to here. Truth is no one cares about your car more than you do. I take my time and I am super careful. I also have the fumoto oil valve which makes oil changes a breeze and no tools required except to get the access door open for the oil filter.

It's fun!

Regular Castrol GTX in mine. No interest in the synthetic stuff.

My mechanic friend suggested I use regular 87 octane to save money, as long as I don't punch the gas. Now that's another story.

Another Catrol GTX user!

I guess because it's cheap and readily available.

Also it says something like good for turbos on the back doesn't it?

Anyways I've always used synthetics but this car has 12k miles now and i'm having second thoughts about ever going to a synthetic.

It doesn't loose or leak any oil and why fix it if it's not broke and if it will cost me three times the money.

I will be using dino Quaker State for the life of the '06 2.5i Outback Wagon and '06 WRX Sedan. Used dino Quaker State for the year I had the '05 XT Wagon and had no problems at all, used not a drop of oil.

I used to have a '03 Legacy that I put synthetic in and it used 1/2 quart every 3000 miles until I swithced back to dino. I've read plenty of posts here and on NASIOC about Subarus eating synthetic oil, I'll stick with dino. :)

My wife's '97 OBS has had dino the whole time, has 130,000 on the clock and doesn't use any oil either...and people wonder why I keep buying Subarus. :icon_wink

Car Dude

I will be using dino Quaker State for the life of the '06 2.5i Outback Wagon and '06 WRX Sedan. Used dino Quaker State for the year I had the '05 XT Wagon and had no problems at all, used not a drop of oil.

I used to have a '03 Legacy that I put synthetic in and it used 1/2 quart every 3000 miles until I swithced back to dino. I've read plenty of posts here and on NASIOC about Subarus eating synthetic oil, I'll stick with dino. :)

My wife's '97 OBS has had dino the whole time, has 130,000 on the clock and doesn't use any oil either...and people wonder why I keep buying Subarus. :icon_wink

Car Dude

What synthetic oil did you use? I'm betting that's Mobil 1?

I bought my LGT used, a year old, so I'm honestly not sure what's in it now. Which means I'm not sure whether I'll put in dino or synthetic at my first/next change.

Using Royal Purple in this car.

Have run Mobil 1 in the past: vehicles/mileage used

1966 Mustang ('70 Boss 302 bored to 332, supercharged) 35k

1980 RX7 (Race prepped 13B) 15w50 175k

1988 Mustang GT 10w40 100k - Rear main seal leaked

1994 Ranger SVT (Dealer Customized 4.0 HO) 10w40 rear main seal leaked {notice a Ford Trend here?}

2000 Outback 2.5l 10w40 28k

1991 Volvo 940se 10w40 225k

1990 Legacy L+ Wagon (2.2l w/AT) 185k

Castrol Syntec in wife's '03 Windstar (they are the only one's making the 10w20 in synthetic)

No real issues seen with synthetic except the Ford OEM rear mains seem to not like it much.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I'm very new to the 2.5 boxer turbo but I went out to my Spec B after it had been sitting for about 2 hours and the felt an incredible amount of heat still coming from the engine. My previous car was a J30 with the venerable and famous VG30DE V6 and it never threw off heat like that. I ran the Autozone full synthetic (meets the latest specs) and changed the oil up every 5 to 6k. With the heat generated by the harder working turboed boxer engine, I would think that synthetic oil would be the obvious choice. The syn oil consumption experiences make me think that oil is not so much being consumed as is being leaked through the pistons. Infiniti recently upped the power of some their engines by making them run "looser" which has lead to oil consumption complaints. Might this be happening with the Jap boxer as well?

If I thought synthetic added any value I would buy it. I change my oil every 3000 miles and have no issues with motors or Turbos- Its usually the other components that go.

I think synthetic is fine, but finding the right weight is the hard part. I don't use any oil in my gt.

This argument will be going until the end of time.

If I thought synthetic added any value I would buy it. I change my oil every 3000 miles and have no issues with motors or Turbos- Its usually the other components that go.

I think synthetic is fine, but finding the right weight is the hard part. I don't use any oil in my gt.

This argument will be going until the end of time.

No oil huh? :lol:

Archived