LegacyGT.com

IWSS's Legacy Dilemma Poll (please read first post before voting)

Dilemma, new or used compromise?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Dilemma, new or used compromise?

• Used LGT: red or blue with black interior and MT
    • New LGT: Newport blue and features, but taupe interior and more $
    • Break the Bank: 07 Spec B or 07 new G35 6MT
    • Swear Ta ME!

OK, Please read this post before committing to a suggestion.

first off, I have read the recent G35 Comparison polls, and the 06 vs 07 Polls, but my question is a bit more specific.

Secondly, I am thinking this is about 3-months away. at least until I get a chance to see the 07s and test drive an 05/06 back to back.

Basic question: Should I hold out for options, or buy cheaper and console myself with mods. Either way color gets compromized, either interior or exterior.

------

Option 1:

Used 05-06 Legacy GT Limited, or discounted holdover inventory.

I would be going toward an Atlantic blue, Regal blue, or Garnet Red car, with a 5MT and charcoal interior. Dealer or Private sale, Range $18-22k, higher interest rate for a used car.

No folding rear seat, no factory aux in. Potentially bad clutch/brakes/tires.

This is the least expensive of the options, but also the potentially hardest to come by, and might require me to sell my truck privately, which may be hard to do on short notice for the right Legacy deal.

------

Option 2:

New 07 Legacy GT. Newport Blue Pearl :wub: 5MT sedan.

Yes folding rear seat :icon_cool , yes factory aux in :icon_cool , no black interior. (Big :( ) Potential rumored suspension setting improvements. SI Drive might save a couple bucks at the pump, but makes little difference to my calculus here.

More expensive, especially if optioned (homelink compass mirror, sub, guage pack, rear reading lights, all weather mats, security upgrade)

Better interest rate, but probably 5-7k more expensive, even at invoice price. Higher payments and longer term = less cash to mod.

BUT, I can order the car, and buy it wherever and whenever, and trade my truck on the spot, if it doesn't easily sell privately.

----

Option 3: Break the bank. Also LEAST likely to actually happen, by a good margin.

07 Spec B (not happy about color, like 6MT/Torsen idea) or 07 (NOT older body style) G35 sedan, which is going to be sexy looking, and has all the toys Legacy does not, color and interior choices, HID, nice new interior, LED tail lights, reclining rear seats, and over 300hp stock...

-----

Option 4: obligatory abstain "swear ta me" option.

I'd get an '07 Legacy GT or Spec B. I'm not a fan of the Infiniti - at all. I'd aim for an '07 Spec B and try to get the dealer to work as close to invoice as possible - if one dealer doesn't - try another one until you get a sick deal.

As for the infiniti:

HIDs - blind other drivers

LED Tail Lights - cool but you won't see them

reclining rear seats - only good for the person sitting in the back

300 hp - needs this to compensate for the extra weight

nicer interior - about time, because the last model's was ugly and cheap as hell

If you value the folding rear seats then get the 07. If you were to get the 05-06 the first time you needed to fold down the seat you would be regretting your decision and resenting the car.

IWSS, best of luck on your pending purchase.

I vote used 05 - 06 and have mod money to spare...

We are all in that boat on this forum and we love our cars. The difference in price between an '05 and a new GT (especially Spec B) is huge. Use the extra monthly savings to save up for Cobb AP, tires, sways and suspension, basically all the good stuff to turn an '05 into a SpecB beater.

As for the G35, it's a nice car, but all the 30- 45 year old guys who drive them in this town think their car is the Almighty and get rightly pissed when a certain white wagon handles them without breaking a sweat.

Cooler dudes drive Subarus.:cool: :cool:

Find a dealer, go with the '05/'06 of your choice, I can't see you having any issues w/trade in. In fact, I traded my GMC sierra in and got "employee pricing" and the $2,000 cash rebate for my LGT. Was a very good deal, and very easy as I did this in August at the end of the month. My .02:)
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Thanks for the feedback, and more is always welcome.

The big choice is between 1 and 2.

Option 3 is truly "break the bank" and if anything financially happens, I might actually have to get rid of the car, and take the loss. It is by far the least favorite option to my wife, and is probably borderline not acceptable to her. much over ~30k asking price is too high for her, even if we are talking $10-11k down, including trade.

Ironically, we just paid off the miata. Option one would yeild payments about what I am making on my truck, option two would probably mean an extra year, and payments in line with what we were paying on her miata, which was somewhat higher, but either way it will be one of those, and until this last month, we were paying BOTH payments simultaneously.

She prefers option one, because that is the most economically feasable, and actually quite affordable. Option two is doable, but a little tighter, and would probably mean 5 year loan instead of 3 or 4 for the used car option.

BUT, I get to smile and be generally pleased with myself, and she won't have to be frustrated, the first time she wants an antique or something that will only fit in the car with the fold down seats, if we go the 07 route.

THe thing is, I have wanted the fold down seats, and the aux in, and the brighter blue paint like Newport Blue. It would be a given, despite it's higher cost, other than the taupe interior, which I distinctly don't like as well as black. And buying the black interior parts, even if I am able to re-sell the Taupe parts is probably going to be prohibitively expensive. (I wish I knew someone who wanted a black/silver/gray 07 GT with Taupe leather... we could trade interiors...)

Plus with the higher payments, the monthly budget will be slightly tighter, and that means longer waits for mods, or motorcycle maintenance, or other expenditures that I want, where Option 1 will leave us with more cash in our pockets for that kind of thing. I would be able to find a car with the black interior, and hopefully one in Atlantic, Regal or Garnet... But not Newport Blue, which I like better.

(sorry I just have to say it again...) DAMN lack of color choice!!!

Newport with Charcoal leather on an 07 LGT would be nearly perfect!

A less expensive 07 Spec B in Newport Blue with the black/blue interior, would be even closer.

But ~$36k is just too high, and gray paint makes Spec B less enticing than even a Newport/Taupe GT sedan.

Just depends on what you can find in the used market and how much you care about the new features/color. Fold down seat would've been nice to me but is also a feature I'd use maybe once or twice a year. Aux-in and SI-drive would've also gone largely unused. I figure I saved around $5k by buying a used '05, which was worth it to me.

Man, I feel where you are coming from. There were plenty of cars I wanted to get that were within my price range but would have made the purchase "scary" if something happened to me or my wife, or if she got pregnant or something. Instead of going for the more expensive option, I went with a 06 lgt at invoice minus 1500 subaru discount. I would much rather have a car I will enjoy and can afford even in times of trouble than have a slightly nicer version but have to sell it if things get rough.

At the same time... don't settle for a 25k purchase that you aren't going to be happy with. If you are just going to regret the purchase everytime you drive you might as well hold off until you can afford the one you want or "break the bank" as you call it :) Since I am studying finance in college, I would be against the "break the bank" but everyone knows their own bounds and whats best for them :)

Archived