LegacyGT.com

Auto climate control

shaggy

I've seen a few posts on the board about the ACC and thought i would throw something in. It seems to me that the automatic temp still works when you hit the mode, a/c, or recirc buttons, the auto light just goes out. I've tried this and the fan still adjusts itself as long as you don't manually change the fan speed, just the temp. Am I wrong, or is mine just wacky?

Either way, the hot air thing still stands. I noticed the outside air temp reads several degrees higher than my Jeep did. Also, in outside air/non-AC mode, the air is much hotter than it was in the Jeep. It's really annoying, b/c I don't run with the A/C on very often, but I'm trying to keep the windows up to maintain the new car smell. But here in Florida, that gets you hot and muggy very quickly.

[quote name='Xaqtly']The hot air thing really is annoying. Sometimes I just want fresh air from outside, but it comes in heated. Not really what I want when it's 80 degrees out.[/quote] A couple of posters over at the edmunds forums were discussing this, and the solution was to turn the temp down to 65deg before shutting off the AC and using vent only. Quoted from the edmunds forum: "I've found that dialing down the temperature all the way to 65 before shutting off the HVAC system keeps the fresh air cold. Alternatively, if you forget, you can simply activate the HVAC system, dial down and then shut off. What I think is happening is that at temperature settings above 65, the vents are mixing in some amount of heat to achieve the desired inlet temperature. When the A/C is shut off, the system simply keeps mixing in the heat and therefore the fresh air becomes warmed."

It's just like a manual system. If you put the control of a manual HVAC somewhere in the middle and then turned it off, the air coming in would still get heated a bit. The only way to avoid it is to turn the air all the way to cold (aka 65 on the automatic units) and it comes through unmolested.

Anybody see the problem with that statement? :D Why make an automatic system if it's just like a manual system, heh. I shouldn't have to turn it down to 65 to simply get unmolested fresh air in the cabin. It should be smart enough that if I take it off automatic, it should stop automatically trying to control the climate, i.e. adding heat - or it should have a fresh air button that will turn off heat and A/C and open the outside vents. Anyway, I'll definitely try it tomorrow, thanks for the info.

You guys remind me of my wife -- in the two years we owned a Forester XS with auto climate control, she fought with it constantly. I could never figure out what her problem was! First off, when the system is in full auto mode, any button you push will put the system in a semi-auto mode. If you push mode, then only mode will be manual but the other things (like fan speed) will remain auto and try to compensate to meet the set temperature. As you mess with the other settings, they too will gradually become manual. If you want fully manual control from the get-go, push off and then push a fan speed button. You are then in full control of everything and the temp dial acts just like the temp dial on a manual system (consider 65 and 85 to just be the upper and lower limits of a temp scale in that case). As discussed, if you want unheated air, the temp must be at 65 (analogous to min temp on a manual system). The procedure for that is to turn dials to 65, press off, and then bring the system online manually as desired. I usually set 65, press off, and then press mode to activate the panel or bi-level for a simple ambient vent flow. From there you can turn on the fan if desired. Finally, resist the urge to freak out and start mashing buttons when the auto mode gets too agressive. You should be able to turn the temp dial (which is the only control input does not disrupt auto) and tailor the system with ONLY that dial. It works like that for me about 75% of the time. On my previous LL Bean Outback, I pretty much used the temp knob most of the time and let auto do the rest. I am still learning the intricacies of my OB XT, but it's much the same. Craig

Anybody see the problem with that statement? :D Why make an automatic system if it's just like a manual system, heh. I shouldn't have to turn it down to 65 to simply get unmolested fresh air in the cabin. It should be smart enough that if I take it off automatic, it should stop automatically trying to control the climate, i.e. adding heat - or it should have a fresh air button that will turn off heat and A/C and open the outside vents. Anyway, I'll definitely try it tomorrow, thanks for the info.

I was referring to "dialing down the temperature all the way to 65 before shutting off the HVAC system keeps the fresh air cold."

The automatic system is just some motors turning the knobs for you. If it was set for 75 degrees when you turned it off, that's slightly towards warm and it will still slightly heat the incoming air no matter what its starting temperature is. The only way for it to not do that is to turn it all the way down, then turn the unit off, so it doesn't change the temp of the incoming air at all.

This exactly how my Stealth worked and how my Grand Marquis works too. Its nothing new or unique to Subaru.

This would be clearer without the flash, but here goes:

ac.jpg.c7b52cdc6989d0e085d629d9d8b4ab2b.jpg

[quote name='Xaqtly']Anybody see the problem with that statement? :D Why make an automatic system if it's just like a manual system, heh. I shouldn't have to turn it down to 65 to simply get unmolested fresh air in the cabin. It should be smart enough that if I take it off automatic, it should stop automatically trying to control the climate, i.e. adding heat - or it should have a fresh air button that will turn off heat and A/C and open the outside vents. Anyway, I'll definitely try it tomorrow, thanks for the info.[/quote] AMEN...my thoughts exactly. It can and has been done on other makes. Not all according to John M but I know Honda/Acura does it right. Come on Subaru.

[quote name='c_hunter']Finally, resist the urge to freak out and start mashing buttons when the auto mode gets too agressive. You should be able to turn the temp dial (which is the only control input does not disrupt auto) and tailor the system with ONLY that dial. It works like that for me about 75% of the time. On my previous LL Bean Outback, I pretty much used the temp knob most of the time and let auto do the rest. I am still learning the intricacies of my OB XT, but it's much the same. Craig[/quote] Exactly. Auto mode is supposed to make life easier for you by only having to deal with one dial (the temp setting) and it will adjust the rest based on outside/inside temperature and sunlight. I've found that the best thing to do with an auto system is to let it run all the time when I have the windows up. I personally hate running AC when the outside temperature is cool enough, but I find it easier than having to mess with the manual inputs and trying to outsmart the system. The other alternative is to always use it in manual mode and keep the temp setting at 65 all the time. It is a bit strange that the HVAC system doesn't set the vents to 65 once it's off. Perhaps it's time for another hack by centerpunch. :D Ken

• 1 month later...
I have followed the threads about how NOT to get heated air coming through the vents and about the AC cycling on and off, and I have a related question: When I start up in the AM with outside temp in the low 50s, I usually set the TEMP controls to 68 or 70 on both sides and then press AUTO (or vice versa). Typically the defrost mode starts up and then a while later the MODE switches to the dash vents or to the dash and floor vents. So far so good. What I don't understand is that the AC light stays lit the whole time, even though the air coming out of the vents is not cooled. I can understand the AC light being lit when in defrost mode, but not in the other modes. Is this normal?

Yes, the auto climate control is complete crap. As the original poster suggested - it does maintain some of its automatic (and misguided) behavior even after you start manually setting things. True, you can approximate the function of a manual climate control system but usually with several more button presses than would be required with the simpler system. The aspect of it that I think is a complete step backwards is that it requires real attention from the driver to get it to do what you want. That's bad if the car is moving. I think the nuisance of the extra button presses would be tolerable if the ACC system were in your living room and you had time to study the buttons and adjust several of them while looking at a status display. Doing all that while driving is an accident waiting to happen. Whoever came up with this system should be sent to engineering jail, or at least given house arrest (without Internet access). It's too bad too, because car manufacturers were coming damn near perfecting the climate system before this "automatic" revolution set them so far back. On good systems, like the Saab, the buttons were different shapes and sizes and were easy to manipulate without looking at them. Now you practically need to pull over or have your passenger ride herd on the "auto" climate system. The auto climate system - another giant technological step backwards. When will they learn not to "fix" something that ain't broke?

[quote name='jsr']I have followed the threads about how NOT to get heated air coming through the vents and about the AC cycling on and off, and I have a related question: When I start up in the AM with outside temp in the low 50s, I usually set the TEMP controls to 68 or 70 on both sides and then press AUTO (or vice versa). Typically the defrost mode starts up and then a while later the MODE switches to the dash vents or to the dash and floor vents. So far so good. What I don't understand is that the AC light stays lit the whole time, even though the air coming out of the vents is not cooled. I can understand the AC light being lit when in defrost mode, but not in the other modes. Is this normal?[/QUOTE] When it says "AC" it means it is enabled, but not necessarily running. It can cycle on/off as needed behind the scenes without you noticing. Some people wonder why it might run with the heat on, but that's because it is used to dehumidify the air. So AC+heat can be a good thing. CRaig

[quote name='jaycee']Yes, the auto climate control is complete crap. As the original poster suggested - it does maintain some of its automatic (and misguided) behavior even after you start manually setting things. True, you can approximate the function of a manual climate control system but usually with several more button presses than would be required with the simpler system.[/QUOTE] You need to read a few posts up. It works fine in my car. From full auto, any button you push puts it in a semi-auto mode. You would have to push all the buttons to be in full manual mode, but that's too much work as you noted because the system will try to compensate for your adjustments. So don't start from Auto!!! Push OFF, and then push fan speed, mode, etc... to set the system exactly the way you want in full manual mode. This is the same way you would work when tuning a manual system from scratch, and the same damn number of controls to set. The system will hold your setting as long as you want. I really wish we could make a "how to use the ACC" sticky topic; too many people are freaking out and getting mad at the system when it's really very simple. And the bottom line is that you can go to full manual and have total control. Craig

Actually, my complaints have nothing to do with any reluctance to embrace new technology. I base my acceptance of a product on how well it meets its requirements. The "auto" climate system on the Subaru does not meet the requirements of a climate control system as well as the better manual ones do. People who are enamored with technology may like the "auto" system because it's slick and computerized, but it just doesn't do the job well. It requires way too much interaction with the driver - especially the attention it requires to a small and cluttered display - all while the scenery outside the car can be rapidly changing. If 70 year olds have come to the same conclusion then we'll just have to chalk it up to their superior wisdom. :)

If I didn't have to mess with it once it was set up, I wouldn't care how complicated it was to setup. My complaint about the "auto" climate control is that I have to continuously mess with it. It is contituously turning on the heat or AC when the outside temperature is perfectly acceptable. When it is vary hot or vary cold, it seems to work fine, but on a nice day, I'm continuousy messing with the climate control trying to get it to stop bothering me.

Archived