LegacyGT.com

DP removal from hell, someone please help ASAP!!!!

rexrw

I got my Rally Performance DP today and was all stoked to get it installed. I have done this before on my WRX and didn't have a problem. I got the heat shield off no problem. I got all 5 bolts/nuts off the turbo no problem. I got the 2 nuts off the midpipe no problem then realized I would need 2 bolts to replace the bolts that are attached to the stock DP, no problem, I went to Checker and bought 2 bolts and 2 nuts. I even removed the mid-pipe so it would be out of the way to make it easier to remove the stock DP. I could only get the stock DP to move off the 3 bottom bolts of the turbo about 1/4 inch maybe. I tugged and pryed on the DP trying to get it off the turbo forever. Then I realized there was one more bolt holding the DP to the transmission, it was one of those screws like the ones that hold the heat shield on. I thought this will be a breeze once I get that bolt/screw out. I got it out and I still can't get the freaking DP to come off of the 3 bolts on the turbo. I have made progress but it won't move any further. It isn't even hitting the firewall, it just won't move any further. Any advice or suggestions? My car is now inoperable until I get off the stock DP and get the new DP on it. Has anyone removed the stock DP and had similar problems? Do I just need a second set of hands so someone can pry it off the bolts up top while I am under the car tugging on the DP?

There are two bolts, in separate spots that hold the DP to the tranny. One is on the passenger side of the tranny about midway between the turbo and the bottom of the DP. The other is on a hooked hanger at the bottom of the DP. When both bolts are removed AND the DP is unhooked from the hanger the DP will drop right out. You must have missed taking out one of those two bolts.

Yeah.... there is the turbo flange (5 nuts), the cat-back flange (2 bolts/nuts), the tranny bracket (1 bolt), and the crossmember hanger (1 bolt).

You have to use a flat blade screwdriver to "pop" the hanger bracket over the downpipe tab.....

Can you give me a better idea of where the bolt is on the hanger of the DP towards the bottom? Where would I see it if I were looking down into the engine bay from the passenger side fender? Where would I see it if I were laying under the car? Does it need to be removed from the top of the car or underneath it? Is it a bolt like the other ones that held the heat shiled in place, 10mm I think? Thank you for the first reply. Anxiously awaiting your reply again so I can hopefully put my car back together again.

I removed that bolt last night and popped it over the hanger bracket. My mid pipe is completely removed and the DP still wont move more than a 1/4 inch or so off the bolts on the turbo.

Did you unplug the O2 Sensor?

Good god I hope he did, after saying that he's been tugging and pulling on the thing for a while. :icon_conf Although he did say that the midpipe was out, so that means that the O2 has to be unplugged.

Archived