LegacyGT.com

Did you know the gauge cluster is also an OBD scanner?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='shane']Thanks mate - I found it. The correct term for this symptom is hesitation under load I believe - stuttering is a symptom some people have with their speech and nothing to with cars. Some people are funny. Gt's only and nothing to do with clutches either, my mistake.[/quote] And, buddy, in the UK I believe the term used is "stammering." You'll also note threads that refer to "studder" which to my knowledge isn't a word in the English language. It's not even in the Urban Dictionary. But nonethless provides a succinct description of the phenomena. It's part of this community. If there were more military and ex-military we would have an acronym, instead.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 1 month later...
So I had a CEL the other day. I proceeded to hook upo the connectors, then hit the trip button. I didn't get any codes on the odometer. Confused, I did the test a second time. When the gauges started sweeping I hit the trip button twice instead of once. When I did the odometer read all dashes and the CEL light disappeared. My question is; has anyone done this? It appears I cleared the CEL code even though I didn't see one the first time around. I'm wondering if I stumbled on some new functionality for this connector. I was figuring it was gonna be P2009 again as I've thrown that one not too long ago. Also, this morning car started real hard...... no CEL's popped up.:confused: Any thoughts on this guys?

On my 2005, there are a pair of connectors in the passenger side footwell, right about the ECU, which must be connected for EcuFlash to talk to the ECU. I think those connectors might be the cause for the left-side / right-side confusion earlier in this thread. Anyway, after pulling my ROM with EcuFlash (reading, not writing it), the car didn't start until after a few tries. At least one other person has reported the same thing. Perhaps there's a related issue when using the left-side connectors for the code display trick. (I haven't tried it yet myself though.)

• 3 years later...
According to the service manual if you re-connect the diag connector by the fuse box under the dash, then press the trip knob during the guage sweep it will tell you if/what codes are present!

Excellent. Anyone think they have codes thrown? Wanna try it out? I should probably do it, the stuttering might throw codes.

Does this work with the '07 2.5i?

• 1 month later...
I also would like to know if this works on 07 Legacys. I have an 07 Spec.B, and (without removing large pieces of trim under the dashboard) could not locate the described connectors. I have also searched this forum and the internet in general trying to find instructions on how to read CELs on 07 Legacys using the dashboard/odometer. I couldnt find anything at all. Anyone able to post pics of how to do this on an 07? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

So I found the two ends of the green "test mode connector" as per page EN(H4SO)(diag)-47 of the 2007 FSM. They were under the edge of the floor carpet under the left side of the glove box in the passenger footwell. I plugged them together and turned my key to the ON position (when the gauges light up and do the sweep). Tried various pressing the trip meter in various patterns, but did not get any codes to display. All I got was a weird cycling of the radiator fan. The instructions were for also connecting a scan tool to the OBD port, so that might have something to do with it.

Now, I just saw some stuff on page EN(H4SO)(diag)-59 regarding the Malfunction Indicator Light and the test mode connector, with no mention of a scan tool. But in reading through the section I couldnt determine if there was a way to get the codes to display on the trip meter screen. Just got my Tactrix OpenPort 2.0, so I'm going to try ROM Raider's Learning View utility. Would be handy to not need anything but the car to read CEL codes though. If I find anything else useful I'll post it here.

Archived