LegacyGT.com

Some VERY sad test mules

Thread preview warning, you will cry when you open this thread....

I got these pictures in an email today. Here's the story as sent to me:

Person A: they're test mules that get scraped. the guys there drive them around

and bash them up before they get crushed.

i totally want the LGT drivetrain/ECU/wiring.

Person B: test mules from who? subaru?

Person A: yeah. they've got an R&D centre in Ann Arbor.

I don't think this is a repost in any way, but if so, let me know.

I'm going to go back to crying about the Spec B wheels that are probably already destroyed.....:(

1.jpg.a26249e2a3e7601daaf59e04310bfd6d.jpg

2.jpg.5b663f3b8a7eacc50ddd486c55bba624.jpg

3.jpg.dd7be9b0d5099b593e551b0245bb8c46.jpg

4.jpg.2bf435b78ffbea2403e1e1a93b09fe93.jpg

it looks as if they crashed into each other. from what i understod they crush the car when testing is over as in a car crusher

If they crashed into each other, it almost looks like it was done over and over and over...

why does the red sedan have 06 specB wheels on it? :iam:

Maybe they took them off a spec B they already crushed to have something to drive around on?

judging by the other damage, they were likely bent anyway. i'm sure you could pick up a cheap set of bent rims from somewhere else should you desire.

But that's not the point! The point is that they died needlessly. So sad.

that r&d may save your life one day. if you don't think your life is worth a set of rims, i suggest calling a crisis hotline.

:confused:

These are not crash test cars. These are test mules that they beat up because they're going to crush them.

Anyways, you may resume taking life just as seriously as you were before you saw this thread.

My god people, they're just cars. It's not like it was a Mercedes Gullwing or a 550 Spyder, or a 250 GTO ... these are current production Subarus which they make by the thousands.

I'll consider shedding a tear when I see a D-type beat up needlessly.

This is so sad...

Now when yo usay test mules, do you mean like journalists tester cars? You would think that they would raffle them off to a Subaru employee or something instead of crush them...

I need a kleenex to wipe the tears away now.

They're probably cars they used for the base for product developement since they're coming from the Subaru R&D in Ann Arbor. I don't know if the crusher is on the Subaru property, or if they transport them elsewhere.

All I know is that they crush them, and don't allow anyone to pull parts off. Could be anything in there...maybe a H6 turbo version of the Spec B in red? Who knows. We can always dream.

The company that I work for does pretty much the same thing with old servers. Many people in IT would love to take just one server home, but we can't due to the risk of sensitive data getting out. Instead, they pay some other company to come and get them and "destroy them" properly (their employees take them home probably.)

that r&d may save your life one day. if you don't think your life is worth a set of rims, i suggest calling a crisis hotline.

Define irony:

Someone with the screen name "john-noxville" and an avatar with a baby alligator biting Johnny Knoxville's nipple exhibiting zero sense of humor.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Define irony:

Someone with the screen name "john-noxville" and an avatar with a baby alligator biting Johnny Knoxville's nipple exhibiting zero sense of humor.

:lol: Awesome....

']Why would SOA install an aftermarket cellphone antenna on the Outback?

Maybe they did road tests on it and used the cell phone link for a data connection back to home?

frakkin animals. Destroying cars needlessly. The least they could do is part them out, if they can't legally sell them. I can understand the legal issues with selling a car on the market, even the used market, when the car has been used specifically to test durability. I wouldn't want to get stuck with a car that subaru knowingly and purposely abused, even for a good reason.

But that shouldn't preclude salvage, as long as the whole car isn't re-sold as a rebuilder.

They can afford destroy/write off a GRP/black leather GT sedan, but they can no longer sell one for 2007... that is just great.

I know this happens with all manufacturers, but it still seems rediculous. I went to the salvage yard the other day for some ancillary little things for my ranger and miata. ( a grille insert and a convertible top latch with an in-tact lock-tang respectively...)

I couldn't get any of it, and they couldn't find any on their network of salvage yards, within 1000 miles.

I would think those cars would have lots of good parts on them for salvage, rather than having to be crushed, and wasted. Crush em when there are no parts left. Hell, the drivetrain cores are worth a good amount of money, even if they would need to be pulled, inspected, and possibly rebuilt.

I'd have considered buying the whole black interior, since subaru is stupid enough not to offer the choice anymore.

The rims are worth something, and if they hand't treated the cars like garbage, the rims, and the whole rest of the cars would probably have been mostly fine.

what a damned waste.

My god people, they're just cars. It's not like it was a Mercedes Gullwing or a 550 Spyder, or a 250 GTO ... these are current production Subarus which they make by the thousands.

I'll consider shedding a tear when I see a D-type beat up needlessly.

try finding me a used GRP with taupe interior with 5MT........in nice shape with low miles...then say that these are just cars....LOL....btw when is the MN crew meeting again.

This is so sad...

Now when yo usay test mules, do you mean like journalists tester cars? You would think that they would raffle them off to a Subaru employee or something instead of crush them...

I need a kleenex to wipe the tears away now.

These cars are not crash test rated yet. They are journalist driven cars before the car is released in the states, so legally they cannot be driven on US roads,Damn governmental regulations. I work as a valet at a hotel and we have had a few releases at our hotel, Nissan SE-R's, BMW 3 series, mercedes MLS random stuff. Usually 6-8 months before production, whihc also means these arent production versions, so some things don't make it in or on the p.v.'s, like the STI intake manifold and fuel system maybe:icon_wink , a black leather interior on the SWP:wub: , (wish wish). Basically we drove the crap out of them and so did everybody else, then they get crushed. Sad:icon_conf but true, and loads of fun! You can salvage the wheels legally, thats it though.

Archived