LegacyGT.com

2007 LGT Autoweek

msb175

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060612/FREE/60602005/1004/THISWEEKSISSUE

2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT & spec.B

Power of the Button: Subaru brings Sport mode to the masses

By ANDREW LUU

AutoWeek | Published 06/02/06, 3:12 pm et

AT A GLANCE:

2007 SUBARU LEGACY 2.5 GT LIMITED

ON SALE: August

BASE PRICE: $29,000 (est.)

POWERTRAIN: 2.5-liter, 243-hp, 241-lb-ft turbocharged H4; awd, five-speed manual (looks like they slipped here as well as in the magazine)

CURB WEIGHT: 3415 pounds

0 TO 60 MPH: 5.6 seconds (mfr.)

FUEL ECONOMY (EPA CITY/HIGHWAY): 20/26 mpg

Why should people who can afford Porsches and M-badged BMWs be the only ones to enjoy advanced performance technology? We’re talking here about those trick sport modes that sharpen throttle response and kick the engine up a notch with the touch of a button.

Subaru has broken the high-end monopoly on this technology by offering its own interpretation of a sport button. Called Subaru Intelligent Drive or SI-Drive, the system is featured on the 2007 2.5-liter turbocharged Legacy. Unlike those systems that offer just two choices, on/off, SI-Drive has three modes: Intelligent, Sport and Sport Sharp.

Push the BMW iDrive-style knob to toggle Intelligent mode and the electronic control unit tells the engine and electronic throttle to adopt a relaxed attitude. I-mode reduces torque by around 20 percent, limiting it to 228 lb-ft, and dials back the throttle response. Ideal for urban driving and bumper-to-bumper traffic, I-mode can also increase overall fuel economy by up to 10 percent, says Subaru.

Twist the SI-Drive knob to the left for Sport mode and performance resembles what you would expect from a Legacy that doesn’t have this system: a balance between comfort and sport. A turn to the right engages Sport Sharp, which modifies the electronic throttle mapping to deliver instant action with the right foot and more power sooner with every inch of travel.

For cars equipped with automatic transmissions, the shift maps also change. In I-mode, shifts are the smoothest and in Sport Sharp, the car anticipates cornering and overtaking by holding onto lower gears longer when needed.

In addition to SI-Drive, the new Legacy 2.5 GT Limited gets restyled six-spoke wheels, a better audio system with auxiliary input, tire-pressure monitors and a split-folding rear seat.

But what interests us most is the 2.5 GT spec.B. If you recall, the Legacy spec.B was introduced to the United States last year to the tune of 500 copies. Now the car goes into regular production.

The spec.B is painted a solitary color, dark gray, and comes only with a manual transmission. Instead of last year’s five-speed, the spec.B gets a modified version of the STI’s six-speed, with higher gear ratios from second through sixth gear. The shift linkage and shift lever ratio are changed for smoother shifts, and clutch effort is reduced from that in the STI to match the Legacy’s more civilian job description.

The new spec.B gets a final drive ratio of 4.11, up from 3.90, a four-pinion front differential from a two-pinion for extra durability, and a more active Torsen (torque-sensing) rear limited-slip differential instead of the viscous type that depends on wheelslip to react.

From behind the wheel, the new bits are all welcomed improvements. Shifts are indeed more fluid than the direct yet often notchy STI gearbox, and the extra gear helps enhance the boxer-four’s already potent acceleration.

The B in spec.B stands for Bilstein, the same shocks that were used last year. The 215/45R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A summer tires are also the same as on last year’s limited run of cars.

Coupled with the inverted-strut setup borrowed from the STI, cornering grip is abundant and the rear Torsen limited-slip improves corner-exit feel over the spec.B we drove last year. On twisty mountain roads, this spec.B is able to maintain a worthy sport-sedan pace without as much understeer as we’ve come to know with past Subies.

We wish the same attention were paid to the suspension as to the gearbox and differentials. With the familiar STI shift feel, strong acceleration and high grip levels, the way the spec.B leans at the limit is out of character with the rest of the car. It unsettles the suspension particularly after hard braking, when the weight transfers forward as you steer into a tight corner. Subaru is a respected member of the tuner community, so spec.B owners can probably be expected to address the suspension first.

There isn’t much to complain about with 243 hp at 6000 rpm and 241 lb-ft of torque at 3600 rpm on tap, but we found ourselves looking for more hp in the spec.B. With all the other performance-oriented changes and an estimated base price of around $36,000, even 10 more horses in the spec-B would make the decision to upgrade that much more convincing.

Subaru might feel the same. Buzz that a 300-hp package will be available prompted smiles from Subaru personnel before they labeled it “just a rumor.” As for SI-Drive, the system is simple to use and works exactly as advertised. Subaru believes it has a winning system on its hands and is applying for a patent. Expect to see SI-Drive proliferate throughout the lineup.

The Legacy sports a nicely finished interior that befits its near-entry-level luxury status. The charcoal gray leather seats are comfortable yet supportive, and the new Alcantara inserts do a better job of gripping your bottom side than the full leather seats ever could.

With the spec.B in the range, Subaru enthusiasts now need not look elsewhere for a more appropriate performance family sedan when the time comes to graduate from an Impreza WRX or STI. Others can choose the Legacy 2.5 GT Limited rather than a Toyota Camry, Chrysler 300 or Honda Accord. The Subaru is easily the sportiest of the bunch and stands apart with standard all-wheel drive, choice of manual or automatic transmission, and of course SI-Drive.

36k+options (spoiler, All-weather mats, SPT intake...), tax, title... nearing 40k out the door (if you pay MSRP)... for a car painted one color.

I may be a manual trans loyalist, but not everyone is... no auto option, no HIDs...

SOA thinks they are going to sell this car???? Especially after a lot of 06 Spec Bs sat immobile until their prices started coming down from their 34k MSRPs...

How stupid does SOA think we (their customers, prospectives) are?

There are a whole lot of alternatives for people less obsessive than I, under 40k with a lot more to choose from. BMW, Audi, MB, Infinity, Lexus, Volvo, Saab, even Caddillac, Lincoln/Mercury, and Chrysler/Dodge.

I wonder how long it will take for the Spec B to start getting discounts, and how big those discounts will be...

So far, SOA remains on my list of the unforgiven.

36k+options (spoiler, All-weather mats, SPT intake...), tax, title... nearing 40k out the door (if you pay MSRP)... for a car painted one color.

I may be a manual trans loyalist, but not everyone is... no auto option, no HIDs...

SOA thinks they are going to sell this car???? Especially after a lot of 06 Spec Bs sat immobile until their prices started coming down from their 34k MSRPs...

How stupid does SOA think we (their customers, prospectives) are?

There are a whole lot of alternatives for people less obsessive than I, under 40k with a lot more to choose from. BMW, Audi, MB, Infinity, Lexus, Volvo, Saab, even Caddillac, Lincoln/Mercury, and Chrysler/Dodge.

I wonder how long it will take for the Spec B to start getting discounts, and how big those discounts will be...

So far, SOA remains on my list of the unforgiven.

A comparably equipped 325xi is 10 grand more with less stuff. it won't even have projector beam headlights... not to mention it's slow as balls. taken in context with the standard equipment... and what it would take to get that on the competition... i feel the 2007 legacy is fairly priced.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

this is not a car, it is an option package. therefore, they likely won't make a preset # of them to sit on the lots, but instead allow customers (or dealers) who want the package to order their car that way. if i was in the market for a new car when they come out (and they allowed you to delete the blue seat interior insert) i would probably order one. i think the dark gray is classy looking, and the other features are attractive. but that blue suede would be a deal-killer for me.

Its interesting that the mfr est 0-60 is 5.6, when the 2005 was 5.8 to 60, makes you wonder if they made the estimate just more accurate vis a vis the actual performance of the car or whether the 07 will be a couple tenths quicker :iam:

For an AWD manual 6spd 250hp+ vehicle in the same class ,...that list gets real short.

Subaru Legacy

Audi S4 (not sure i would consider this in the same class)

bmw 330xi

Volvo S60R, AFAIK this is the last year for this car. (part time awd)

actually for under 40k there is only the Legacy.

I'll gladly swap with someone wanting an 07 Spec B with a taupe interior!

I would love a Newport Blue Legacy GT with a black and blue interior, even without the extra spec.b stuff.

My whole thing about being less obsessive than I, was to say that some people don't take performance or AWD as seriously as I do, or some other people here, too, evidently.

nearly 40k is too expensive for a car that otherwise sells for a base price more than an estimated 7 grand less, when the expensive version is only offered in one "take it or leave it" configuration.

All those other cars offer options. Subaru offers some standard equipment, but no options other than a tack on spoiler, things like all weather floor mats, or accessories like splash guards and a blue air filter. Subaru isn't playing this game very well, and is handicapping the US Spec B VERY severely.

"A comparably equipped 325xi is 10 grand more with less stuff. it won't even have projector beam headlights... not to mention it's slow as balls. taken in context with the standard equipment... and what it would take to get that on the competition... i feel the 2007 legacy is fairly priced."

Cough **** Cough

The new 3-series will have a twin turbo I-6 making 300hp, dual exhaust and might be AWD!!!

Cough **** Cough

M3 will have a V-10!!!

CRAZY KEN

"A comparably equipped 325xi is 10 grand more with less stuff. it won't even have projector beam headlights... not to mention it's slow as balls. taken in context with the standard equipment... and what it would take to get that on the competition... i feel the 2007 legacy is fairly priced."

Cough **** Cough

The new 3-series will have a twin turbo I-6 making 300hp, dual exhaust and might be AWD!!!

Cough **** Cough

M3 will have a V-10!!!

CRAZY KEN

If the 325xi is 10 grand more... the 335i will be astronomically more... let alone the M3... and I thought the M3 was getting a V8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The all-new 3 Series Coupe is hitting the roads in September and when it does, be prepared for a re-sculpted look, a twin-turbo engine and, perhaps the biggest news of all, all-wheel drive.

Re-sculpted, inside and out.

It’s rare to find such a sporty machine that also carries its own when it comes to refinement. But with the 3 Series Coupe, absolutely nothing has been compromised.

There’s the aggressive, muscular hood. Flowing signature lines along the profile. Standard Xenon Adaptive Lights. And if you can draw yourself away from the exterior long enough, you’ll notice exquisite changes to the interior as well. New ambient interior lighting. New colors for the leather upholstery. Beautiful pearl gloss accents throughout. And a new comfort feature that provides easier access to the seatbelt.

Then there’s the power – 300 horses worth of twin-turbo power.

Just like any other BMW, the all-new 3 Series Coupe is outfitted to provide an exhilarating drive. Under the hood of the 335i Coupe is an inline 6-cylinder engine with high precision injection and twin-turbo chargers, giving you 300 horses of heart-pounding power and class-leading 300 ft. lbs. of torque.

The 328i and 328xi Coupes are just as impressive, featuring a more powerful and fuel efficient, inline 6-cylinder engine with Valvetronic. This new engine produces 230 horsepower and 200 ft. lbs. of torque. But because of its inline orientation of cylinders there are fewer vibrations, which means a smoother ride for you.

The all-new 3 Series Coupe is hitting the roads in September and when it does, be prepared for a re-sculpted look, a twin-turbo engine and, perhaps the biggest news of all, all-wheel drive.

Re-sculpted, inside and out.

It’s rare to find such a sporty machine that also carries its own when it comes to refinement. But with the 3 Series Coupe, absolutely nothing has been compromised.

There’s the aggressive, muscular hood. Flowing signature lines along the profile. Standard Xenon Adaptive Lights. And if you can draw yourself away from the exterior long enough, you’ll notice exquisite changes to the interior as well. New ambient interior lighting. New colors for the leather upholstery. Beautiful pearl gloss accents throughout. And a new comfort feature that provides easier access to the seatbelt.

Then there’s the power – 300 horses worth of twin-turbo power.

Just like any other BMW, the all-new 3 Series Coupe is outfitted to provide an exhilarating drive. Under the hood of the 335i Coupe is an inline 6-cylinder engine with high precision injection and twin-turbo chargers, giving you 300 horses of heart-pounding power and class-leading 300 ft. lbs. of torque.

The 328i and 328xi Coupes are just as impressive, featuring a more powerful and fuel efficient, inline 6-cylinder engine with Valvetronic. This new engine produces 230 horsepower and 200 ft. lbs. of torque. But because of its inline orientation of cylinders there are fewer vibrations, which means a smoother ride for you.

Yeah, the 328xi has AWD. It doesn't say anything about the 335 being available with it. (And FWIW, what I've seen in 'previews' seems to indicate the 335 will be about as quick as the LGT - and at what premium, +$15k?)

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Cough **** Cough

Cough **** Cough

M3 will have a V-10!!!

CRAZY KEN

BMW will actually be turbocharging their in-line 6 cylinder 3.0 liter engine from the 330i with twin-turbos.

The turbos are sequential, one small one for the low revs and a bigger one for the higher revs. The resulting power is equivalent to a 3.5 liter normally aspirated engine, which explains the 335i insignia.

Their new twin-turbo engine is expected to make about 330hp, roughly 70hp higher than the normally aspirated 3.0 engine. The engine is currently being tested on their 5-series model with a modified bumper to allow better airflow for the intercooler.

Just a little contribution!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

If you look closely, what does $36,000.00 buy you at BMW?? Yes nice handling, wimpy power, less room, though nice interior. Fewer goodies inside. Audi, an A3 which my neighbor has is a bitchin car, but it WRX sized with $40,000.00 if you opt for the V6 just to keep up with the Leggy. Stick Quattro in the equation, and all of sudden the 07 spec b doesn't look so bad. Now will Subaru be smarter this time around in sales, now that remains to be seen.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Nope.

Not in any other colors, not with any automatic transmission, and not in any other body style, and not with any optional equipment aside from a few baubles.

The car isn't bad at it's core, it just isn't being supported the way it should be, and offered in such a way that it might be acceptable to more than a half a dozen people.

It could be a nice car for the money. Instead it is going to be a bit of an albatross, a bit like the 06s were, before the price started coming down. (now used ones with less than 10k miles, are going for almost $10k under original MSRP. That is a lot of depreciation in three quarters of a year, or less.)

Fuji Heavy Industries (SOJ, Subaru-Australia, Europe, et. al. )seems to know how to make and sell cars. Look at the Spec B model availability elsewhere. It seems to be SOA that is either purposefully, or by dumb-fishing-luck (the kind that makes people put blindfolds on and walk through a yard full of garden rakes. SMACK!) that is stunting the Legacy in North America.

Nope.

Not in any other colors, not with any automatic transmission, and not in any other body style, and not with any optional equipment aside from a few baubles.

The car isn't bad at it's core, it just isn't being supported the way it should be, and offered in such a way that it might be acceptable to more than a half a dozen people.

It could be a nice car for the money. Instead it is going to be a bit of an albatross, a bit like the 06s were, before the price started coming down. (now used ones with less than 10k miles, are going for almost $10k under original MSRP. That is a lot of depreciation in three quarters of a year, or less.)

Fuji Heavy Industries (SOJ, Subaru-Australia, Europe, et. al. )seems to know how to make and sell cars. Look at the Spec B model availability elsewhere. It seems to be SOA that is either purposefully, or by dumb-fishing-luck (the kind that makes people put blindfolds on and walk through a yard full of garden rakes. SMACK!) that is stunting the Legacy in North America.

imho i feel its the lack of marketing for these cars, i learned about it through a bud when i was looking at an evo, i loved the power but hated the ride and "boy racer" look he said you gotta go see the new legacy!

1st thing that popped into my head was a square vanilla style car until i actually saw and drove it! then ----> :) i was hooked! :icon_mrgr

If they would just make either an LGT STI Wagon or a Spec-B wagon with a manual transmission, I'd be all over this (seat color excepted of course - YUK!). Unless Subaru starts to offer the LGT Wagon in MT variant, it looks like this is the end of the line for me and I'd be forced to go to an OBXT which is not what I want.

WRT Spec - B, SOA is listening, and it's getting closer to what the enthusiasts want. OOTB, it's a competent handling car and adding the 6MT with revised diffs front and rear (my jury is still out on the Torsen rear though), will increase the AWD pleasure that we seek. If they would just beef the suspension a bit to dial-out the "lean, squat and dive" this would be an awesome ride. Why not add the STI Pink springs to the Bilsteins instead of what appears to be the USDM LGT Springs. Doesn't make sense to put the superior Bs under there and not change the spring setup.

Thanks for the info

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived