LegacyGT.com

What of this 91-94 Legacy Turbo?

Whitestar Pilot

I was unaware that Subaru manufactured a Turbo Legacy before the 05 model, but different people have mentioned them-and one post cited the years 91 thru 94.

Does anyone know the specs on this early 90s Legacy Turbo (Horsepower, tranny options, 1/4 mile or 0-60 times)? How big was the engine, and was the turbo intercooled?

Why did Subaru stop turbo models in 95?

I was unaware that Subaru manufactured a Turbo Legacy before the 05 model, but different people have mentioned them-and one post cited the years 91 thru 94.

Does anyone know the specs on this early 90s Legacy Turbo (Horsepower, tranny options, 1/4 mile or 0-60 times)? How big was the engine, and was the turbo intercooled?

Why did Subaru stop turbo models in 95?

From 1991 to 1994, Subaru did indeed import 1st Generation (Chassis Code BC/BF) Turbo Legacy Sedans and Wagons into the USDM. Power comes from a 2.2L Intercooled EJ22 motor making ~160 crank hp. Sedans can be found with 5MT and the 4EAT, but finding a Wagon with the 5MT is rarer than hen's teeth. For more information about the 1st gen, check out http://bbs.legacycentral.org/. That board is devoted to the Subaru BC/BF models and you can find the additional information you seek there.

Even though Subaru turbo-boosted vehicles continued around the world in other markets, e.g., Japan, England, New Zealand, Australia, etc., Subaru stopped building turbo models for the USDM, until they had worked out the turbo engined emission issues. Hence the gap between the end of BC/BF production in 1994 and the re-entry of Subaru turboed cars into USDM that commenced with the WRX in 2002, Forester and Baja in 04, and finally the Legacy Turbo in 2005.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

USDM turbo Legacys were not intercooled. Turbos were either VF10s or VF11s. No 5MT wagons were sold, though some have been converted (I am building one presently). The engine was a 2.2 liter closed-deck SOHC with oil squirters. This engine was USDM only. Other market Legacy turbo Is were 2.0 liters DOHC with AWICs.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for clarifying the intercooler question in my mind. I've seen numerous pics of USDM BC/BF with the JDM intercooler and presumed, since I've never owned one, that this was either a stock cooler or an available option. Also, wrt the Legacy Turbo BF, someone, perhaps on NASIOC or on Legacy Central, had made the comment about there being less than 20 BF-Ts imported into the U.S. with standard 5MT. Any additional were conversions IIRC. The 2.2L closed deck block with the oil squirters is an awesome setup and it's still a dream of mine to drop a set of 2.5L DOHC heads on this short block and then boost it since the 2.5 DOHC heads are said to flow better than the stock 2.2L T-heads. I may still do this if I can find the right block and put this into my 98 GT.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

DOHC would be nice (22B anyone?), but out of my reach for now. I guess I can feel better thinking the SOHCs are easier to do t-belt changes. I never heard of the 5MT wagons, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Production quotes on these cars from SOA are highly suspect as there are way too many around to acount for the low numbers they quote.

Lots of people have imported AWICs and it's what I was thinking to keep the car a 'L' sleeper, but now I'm not sure.

The engine is a tank and if I had the cash I'd like to try to convert one to run diesel. I suggest you get a 2.2 turbo while you can! I had to drive 3 hrs to get mine. 83k and like brand new inside (then, so was my 246k N/A engine but for the melted exhaust valve).

Steve

Also notable is the fact that this 2.2L turbo engine produced its peak torque

at 2,800 RPM, giving it an almost electric motor like power curve - i.e. an

extremely broad power band. The turbine spins up at 1,500 RPM and it can

just barely be heard at those low RPMs. I have owned mine since new.

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I do hope you meant you were un-aware they "manufactured a Turbo Legacy before the 05 model" In the United States. Japan has had turbo legacy's since 89.

And yes, it's also my dream to take an old 2.2L closed deck block down under to NZ and do a monster build with it. would stick low compression pistons, 8.5:1 or less, and stick EJ207 heads on with aftermarket cams (they have AVCS), then cram a assload of boost in there, 22psi or so at least. Mmmmm.... I can't wait till i have some cash saved up for that build. Give me a year or two :p

Just a note btw, the 22B's 2.2L was a stroked and bored 2L, I've been told the 22T in the USDM legacy is simply a bored 2L like it's non turbo 'brother'. Apparently they use 2L rods, and crank.

Also.. can someone confirm the 2.2 turbo is a 22G for me? i've only seen it be called that once. There is NO SUCH THING as an EJxxT, people simply add the T on to signify "turbo", it's not actually a real engine code. Like, the EJ20TT for example is the EJ20H, R, 6, and 8.

Production quotes on these cars from SOA are highly suspect as there are way too many around to acount for the low numbers they quote.

Correct. I think SOA actually does not have these numbers! I got numbers for MY05 from them but they were clearly incomplete - they did not take in the account other distributorships like SNE (Subare of New England).

I got my numbers by hacking the Subaru parts database that contains all the VINs along with model designation and production dates.

Steve, Also, wrt the Legacy Turbo BF, someone, perhaps on NASIOC or on Legacy Central, had made the comment about there being less than 20 BF-Ts imported into the U.S. with standard 5MT. Any additional were conversions IIRC.

AFAIK every single Legacy sold in the USDM was made in Indiana, none were imported.

AFAIK, it's strictly known as a 2.2t in the US, no other codes known for it, like the examples you have mentioned.

It has been mentioned as an ej22g because of the VIN plates on some USDM cars. My vin plate states ej22t though. So, there is a lot of confusion why people call them ej22g. Subaru never designated them that way, perhaps it was just a block designation.

The are quite a few differences between the block and the internals.

AFAIK, it's strictly known as a 2.2t in the US, no other codes known for it, like the examples you have mentioned.

It has been mentioned as an ej22g because of the VIN plates on some USDM cars. My vin plate states ej22t though. So, there is a lot of confusion why people call them ej22g. Subaru never designated them that way, perhaps it was just a block designation.

The are quite a few differences between the block and the internals.

Wow, so your vin plate actually says EJ22T? Very interesting. And do you know if it has the same stroke as the 2L? I've heard allot more to support that one.

I do hope you meant you were un-aware they "manufactured a Turbo Legacy before the 05 model" In the United States. Japan has had turbo legacy's since 89.

And yes, it's also my dream to take an old 2.2L closed deck block down under to NZ and do a monster build with it. would stick low compression pistons, 8.5:1 or less, and stick EJ207 heads on with aftermarket cams (they have AVCS), then cram a assload of boost in there, 22psi or so at least. Mmmmm.... I can't wait till i have some cash saved up for that build. Give me a year or two :p

Just a note btw, the 22B's 2.2L was a stroked and bored 2L, I've been told the 22T in the USDM legacy is simply a bored 2L like it's non turbo 'brother'. Apparently they use 2L rods, and crank.

Also.. can someone confirm the 2.2 turbo is a 22G for me? i've only seen it be called that once. There is NO SUCH THING as an EJxxT, people simply add the T on to signify "turbo", it's not actually a real engine code. Like, the EJ20TT for example is the EJ20H, R, 6, and 8.[/quote

Reuben yes the canadian and U.S. (Iguess) say EJ22T on the vin!! but the blocks are Identical same crosshatching, sensor positions, every thing from the outside!! anyways. Do you think that it is not bore but a different crank they dropped in to save on tooling costs????? the 22 seemed to have it more in the bottom than the 20G I guesss that could be cause of the smaller compressor, no intercooler, more fuel at lower RPM"s the turbine side of the turbo is almost the exact same as the G's! I think that these engines have quite a bit in common!!!!!!!!!

so you still want my old 22t to build I would give it to you but shipping probly ain't worth it!!! if yess can you find me a good comp for an STI EJ20G ??? something to control the COP's?

And an answer to an answer the pre 1994 legacy (turbo's anyways) were built in Japan!!!!! not to you Rueben but sombody said that all legacy's were built in Indiana but mine defanatly wasen't

but yeah I would call this a 22G but the heads are single cam (also adding to low end torqe)

Hey hows that sick wagon running these days????

All the ej22t's engines were MADE in Japan, but the cars were built in the US. Just look at your vin, if the first number is a 4 or a 2 it was a North American car.

The ej22g's were JDM, were in 22B's and never made their way into the American market, and I suppose was an early version of the ej20g. They are the same block as the usdm 22t.

There are a few critical differences between the "t" and the n/a 2.2 engine, such as a different aluminum cast all together, forged rods, and cast pistons, and larger crank bearings.

How do they compare to an early 22g? I have no idea, never even seen one. What I know is the ej20g had DOHC while the ej22t does not.

Yeah, it would be news to me if any USDM Legacy were imported from Japan (I am not saying it's wrong, just that I am surprised). SIA was built in 1988-1989 specifically to manufacture Legacy.

To this day engines are imported from Japan assembled, at least turbo motors are.

turbo legacies (the old ones, anyway), were made in japan. vins start with JF1. I always thought current LGTs were as well. Check your vin plate I suppose.

Current LGTs are NOT MADE IN JAPAN, period.

Bdubs. i think the 22B's were EJ22K's, they are afterall based off the V4 which was powered with the EJ20K. The 22B's engine also looks exactly like an STi EJ20K on the outside. I will ask corn3 or whoever next time he's on clubsub. The lucky bugger actually owns one, he's been researching the 22B allot too (I'm simply curious about that unique engine of win).

You also forgot one crucial fact about the 22T which makes them so attractive... Closed deck block... giggity. That's why i want one, they have SO much potential for high power it's not funny - stuff 257's, 22T's are where it's at!

• 3 months later...
I am parting out a 94 Legacy Turbo wagon. It has 128k on it, everything works, had a minor front end collision, got the radiator and fan but nothing else inside compromised. I am betting the engine is worth more than the car. Anybody interested in this?

turbo legacies (the old ones, anyway), were made in japan. vins start with JF1. I always thought current LGTs were as well. Check your vin plate I suppose.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01556.jpg

JDM baby, truf! :rolleyes:

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

• 8 years later...
All the ej22t's engines were MADE in Japan, but the cars were built in the US. Just look at your vin, if the first number is a 4 or a 2 it was a North American car.

I know this thread is beyond dead, I just hate to see some misinformation out there (this thread came up on a Google search for me).

Some first generation Legacys were imported from Japan, not just the engines. As far as I'm aware ALL the turbos were imported and even a handful of the N/A cars were imported as well.

I've owned 4 of them at this point, and only one is an SIA car. 2 turbos, both Japan (VIN starts with JF, manufacture plate says made in Japan) one N/A wagon (may she rest in peace) was a JF also with Japan manufacture tag and yes left hand drive and lastly another N/A wagon with a 4S VIN that clearly states it was manufactured in Indiana.

I miss my Japanese manufactured wagon so much. 25 year old car and not a single squeak or rattle. :icon_cry:

Archived