LegacyGT.com

help with deciding HID temp

gao

I am looking to get hids but can,t decide witch temp to get. I am deciding between 8000k or 5000k. would you recommend or not recommend these. (do you have any pics of 8000k completely warmed up ?)

5000k hands down. if you want to stand out and have less visibility especially in the rain then get 8000k. brand makes a difference as well since there are no standards and everyone is different. 5000k from one place is not the same from another. all kits look different from true oem xenons. some are close which would be the 4300-5000k ones. a 5000k kit is gonna look purple dont worry.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

get the xtec 50w kit for brighter output!

they use 35 watt xenon bulbs. i think the 50 watt thing is bs :iam: also pics never really show the actual color of xenons. helps to compare but thats about it.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

On the pic is the 5000k just warming up or is that 100% warmed up?

Just order 5000k from RPM, sould get it in a few days

ABOUT A MIN WARMED UP, IT PRETTY MUCH STAYS THAT COLOR(BLUE) BUT.. LIGHT OUTPUT IS BRIGHT WHITE, NO BLUE...JUST PERFECT

they use 35 watt xenon bulbs. i think the 50 watt thing is bs :iam:

^ Ah, so it is as I originally "feared," this is simply a "bump-up" kit, not a true 50W setup. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

this info is prob from 2003 (the automotive lighting forum aka philips), but...

What other wattages than 35W HID bulbs does exist?

There is a 17W HID bulb used for diving flashlights. It does appearantly lack some of the good features and/or qualities compared to a Philips/Osram HID 35W bulb.

The main developer of automotive HID bulbs, Philips, has a 50W HID bulb (Product name: MPXL-DL50) and supporting ballast readily developed. Per fall 2002, there was no automatic shutdown on these ballasts. Output is around 5300lm. Inserting this bulb into a vehicle lamp designed for the 35W HID bulb gives more some more output, but its not a huge difference.

The bulb base is not much difference from P32-d base used in 35W HID bulb base. Colortemp is 3900K which creates a CRI of 75, which is excellent. Life expectancy is around 3000hours at ideal condiations.

The availability of MPXL-DL50 has been special order only up until 2004. Some boxes of 10 were sold on ebay fall 2004. Be prepare to order in larger quantities if interested. When/if Philips gets more success in selling the centralized lighting concept (based on fibre optical wires), the MPXL-DL50 will remain an oddity. What does bulb input voltage do to performance??

Todays hid bulbs are designed to operate at ~85 volts after igniting. Increasing voltage increases output, decreases color temperature, increases current and decreases life. An example of a ballast currently on the marked that can deliver more volts is the german built Auserwald ballast. (Distrubuted in the US by Kenrad Lighting, Oregon). It has separate output terminals labled "50W" where increased voltage is present. (It also has output terminals labled 35W).

Hidkits.com has a variable output ballast, that can decrease output voltage from 85V. This will make output dimmer and bluer. Their ballasts is an in house design, and many has reported it to have a questionable design and finish in year 2000/2001.

so im still think the 50 watt thing is a scam

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived