LegacyGT.com

Water Spots!

I would try wiping the window down with some vinegar on a rag and then follow it with window cleaner. Water spots are mineral deposits which vinegar will dissolve (vinegar contains very weak acetic acid).
It is still ugly.

this happen when you are washing the car? do you wash the car in direct sunlight?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I would try wiping the window down with some vinegar on a rag and then follow it with window cleaner. Water spots are mineral deposits which vinegar will dissolve (vinegar contains very weak acetic acid).

+eleventybillion That's exactly what I was going to say.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup, this works great. I just did this to mine last week. Took a sponge and did all the windows with vinegar and let them dry, then used Stoner's Invisible Glass (Wal-Mart) with a micro-fiber rag. It was like the windows just disappeared, no more spots. Then I could really see the impact points from thrown rocks :icon_mad:

Vinegar is a great solvent all around the house and works well on mineral deposits. I tie bags of it around the shower heads to remove the crystals. Works great in the laundry instead of bleach...

Get the white vinegar by the gallon at Costco, it is a cheap and effective cleaning solution.

See Clearly and Be Well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I don't know as much as I thought I did.

Did all the usual stuff to prepare for the Wolfgang paint sealant this weekend and what do I see? Water spots...on the hood scoop only...nothing on the hood itself. WTF?

Tried vinegar...still there. Tried Meguiar's Mirror Glaze (some old stuff I have had for years) and it didn't work as I would have liked...still there.

Any recommendations for something I can apply by hand (I doubt you could get to all of them with a PC anyway) and not have to rub for hours? Thanks.

It is still ugly.

If soaking a rag with vinegar and laying that on the spots didn't work, then it is possible that the minerals in the water have etched the paint. If that is the case then you have to polish the paint. It isn't a job that can be done by hand without needing to rub for hours. That is why they invented the machines. ;) Removing etching, swirls, and stuff like that is what the PC was made for.

You could always try a light polish or paint cleaner though. Honestly I don't know that anything is going to help if vinegar didn't do the trick, but you can always try. Meguiar's #9 is something you can get off the shelf and might help.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Mark ... I had the same thing happen with my waterspots. Also happened on my spoiler. The parts painted on the "plastic" parts of the car likely receive more flex additive than the rest of the car (and you'll clearly see under some artificial lights a different color to the paint on those parts). I have a feeling the softer paint on those parts etches more easily.

The PC took those spots right out though.

Maybe it's time we got together again one of these days.

Does the car need to be waxed after using vinegar? My car got covered in sap wednesday night and i didnt even park under a tree. Was thinking about claying it off, but if vinegar is safe on the sealant I can go that route and wait another week to wax again.

I tried vinegar on my wife's car yesterday and it didn't work.

I ended up having to use Scratch Out to remove them.

Is there a certain veingar to use?

I tried White vinegar

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

Mark ... I had the same thing happen with my waterspots. Also happened on my spoiler. The parts painted on the "plastic" parts of the car likely receive more flex additive than the rest of the car (and you'll clearly see under some artificial lights a different color to the paint on those parts). I have a feeling the softer paint on those parts etches more easily.

The PC took those spots right out though.

Maybe it's time we got together again one of these days.

Hey-

Thanks, I didn't think of that. Now I gotta turn the car on its side and see if there are water spots on the rocker panels...I didn't notice anything on the bumpers, but now I gotta go look again.

Does the PC fit into the scoop area? Looks kind of tight at the sides.

Gimme a call sometime if you want to grab a beer or a bite to eat after work (the week of the 18th is bad for me though).

It is still ugly.

I tried vinegar on my wife's car yesterday and it didn't work.

I ended up having to use Scratch Out to remove them.

Is there a certain veingar to use?

I tried White vinegar

White vinegar is what you want to use and there are not different strengths. If it didn't work, the clear coat is probably etched like OC said.

It is still ugly.

Hey-

Thanks, I didn't think of that. Now I gotta turn the car on its side and see if there are water spots on the rocker panels...I didn't notice anything on the bumpers, but now I gotta go look again.

Does the PC fit into the scoop area? Looks kind of tight at the sides.

Gimme a call sometime if you want to grab a beer or a bite to eat after work (the week of the 18th is bad for me though).

It is tight, to be sure. If you are careful, you can get in there though - I did. :)

A couple weeks out sounds good. Who knows, maybe I'll even show up in the Porsche. :)

Archived