LegacyGT.com

Steering Wheel radio controls

ercdvs

Can anyone provide the part numbers of the individual parts I need?

From my understanding (reading the forums) :

The radio control wires are present in the normal steering wheel of a '05 LGT

I simply need to remove the shift controls and pop in the new buttons, and hook the correct wires to it ?

or am I just dumb ? :(

PGT ... clearly not.

ercdvs - go to the walkthroughs section and read the thread "how to: install steering wheel radio controls"

You can't do it just by swapping the buttons on the wheel. You will be able to cut some wires and do it, but no one with an automatic has actually done this yet.

There will be wire cutting, splicing, tapping, and head unit removal. If you're cool with all that AND ok with losing the shifter controls in the wheel, then read through the thead (posted by trabbic) in Walkthroughs and it should be pretty well clarified.

Actually... I did read the ORIGINAL thread a while ago.. and i remember a semi confirmed drop in mod for the controls.

I have since found the 'walkthrough' ..Plus it looks like things are / may be slightly different for a AT car... guess its time to go slowly.

So whats the verdict?? I'm still confused...My head is spinning from reading all the threads on this subject. I have an 06 legacy sedan 2.5i ltd, AT and I want to install the steering wheel with audio controls. Is it just a matter of "Plug-n- Play" with an existing harness like an earlier post had said or do you have to add the wiring in? Also does the clock spring (roll connector) have to be replaced?

I can get the steering wheel assy. from subaru for $283.00 and to me thats a sweet deal.

Also can someone clear up the MOMO logo on the bottom of the wheel, someone said the autos have it and the MT's don't?

Thanks

So whats the verdict?? I'm still confused...My head is spinning from reading all the threads on this subject. I have an 06 legacy sedan 2.5i ltd, AT and I want to install the steering wheel with audio controls. Is it just a matter of "Plug-n- Play" with an existing harness like an earlier post had said or do you have to add the wiring in? Also does the clock spring (roll connector) have to be replaced?

I can get the steering wheel assy. from subaru for $283.00 and to me thats a sweet deal.

Also can someone clear up the MOMO logo on the bottom of the wheel, someone said the autos have it and the MT's don't?

Thanks

The verdict is that we don't know... You have two things working against you with this. You have a 2.5i (controls not confirmed to work), and an AT (controls not confirmed to work.)

Do you know how to use a mutlimeter? Can you remove the stereo from the car and take some pictures of the wiring harness? Look to see how it compares to the pictures I posted in the how to.

Buy the wheel and try to install it. the worst case scenario is that you are out a couple bucks, because I am sure that you can sell it to someone else here...

Well I guess that's what I was looking for that if it's been done and confirmed. The price I got on the wheel is from the part # you gave in your thread, is the switch box in the titanium silver, it's hard to tell in your picture?

I do appreciate the info, your walkthrough is awesome...

Thanx

The price I got on the wheel is from the part # you gave in your thread, is the switch box in the titanium silver, it's hard to tell in your picture?

I am not sure I understand your question? If the part you are asking about is close to 300 dollars then it is the steering wheel and controls already installed. The only other part is if you have automatic steering wheel shifter buttons then you can just buy the controls themselves. That is more like 80 or so...

That is correct the steering wheel assembly with the audio controls already installed is part # 34311AG23AJC. I was just making sure if the switch covers on the spokes of the steering wheel are silver. The dealer near me wants $395.00 but www.1stsubaruparts.com lists it for $283.00 but it doesn't show a picture of it so I was just making sure what it looked like.

I think what Trabbic is suggesting is that if you already have a steering wheel with the shifter buttons then there's no reason to spend $283 on a whole new steering wheel with the audio buttons. All you need to spend is the $80 for the audio switches themselves, which you would then swap with the shifter buttons on your existing steering wheel. Save yourself $200!!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I think what Trabbic is suggesting is that if you already have a steering wheel with the shifter buttons then there's no reason to spend $283 on a whole new steering wheel with the audio buttons. All you need to spend is the $80 for the audio switches themselves, which you would then swap with the shifter buttons on your existing steering wheel. Save yourself $200!!

Yup. :)

I am sorry for not being clear here...I have an 06 legacy limited non-GT with a 4-speed auto and DO NOT have any controls on the steering wheel. I would like to swap steering wheels with one that has the audio controls like the one in Trabbic's thread. Now my question is; The part number Trabbic gave,( 34311AG23AJC) is it for the one he shows in his pictures? That has all the audio controls and not the Sport-shift controls. I do not want the sport shift controls. The 06 legacy gt limited's that have the 5-speed auto come with the shifter buttons (it just has the the two + / - buttons on each spoke of the steering wheel) I don't want that steering wheel, I want the one with the Full audio controls (with the mute buttons etc.)

I am not trying to be a pain in the butt, I am just trying to clear it up before I order it and swap it over....

THANX

The part number Trabbic gave,( 34311AG23AJC) is it for the one he shows in his pictures?

YES, that is why i put that part number in the post :confused:. I am sorry I guess I don't understand your confusion...

The automatic controls steering wheel is a TOTALLY different part number...

Link to correct part with pictures for 299:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_71&products_id=1022

The guy at the parts counter quoted me that price...that's not for labor. I wouldn't let this dealership wash my car for free...they would somehow manage to F&&k it up...The master tech there can't count his balls twice and get the same number

you guys are freaking me out, i usually have most of my service done at the dealer since the price is reasonable (i would have neither the time nor the inclination nor the expertise to do it myself) and since they always wash it for me. luckily the paint is so thick and strong, it's hard to damage right ;)

I am sourcing these switches cheaply from a dealer now... my contact was looking at the steering wheel connectors while on the phone with me, and claims that the wiring *is* in place from the radio to the steering wheel, just not used in all cases.

I was trying to talk them through the information in the intall thread, but they still insist that i *should* be able to just plug in the stereo switches in my AT car, and possibly switch from tranny to radio mode.

Anybody have the particular pages from the 'vacation pics' in question ?

I can see how it would be in place for an AT car, as we have controls in that position... whereas a MT car doesn't have any switches there.

Well, the wires go SOMEWHERE, but being that those buttons control the transmission, and that no one has bothered to check the resistance of those buttons, we don't know what connecting them will route the buttons to your head unit automatically. I sincerely doubt they're set up to run the radio as it is, but worst case scenario would be that you have to cut and splice wires.

IIRC, someone else already determined that the controls don't work the radio on the 5EAT. He never started the car, but you don't have to start the car for them to work.

I have an 06 4-speed auto and I am going to install a steering wheel with audio controls. What I do know is that NO you cannot just plug the steering wheel in. I don't know about MT's but my car IS wired for the shift controls, but being the fact that my car is only a 4speed I don't know if they actually plug into the BIU (i assume they do). I am going to try an explain what I learned today:

The MOMO wheel with the audio controls comes with the green connector that plugs into what I believe is ST4 at the roll connector with pin #5 being the horn and pin's 4,3,2,1 for audio controls or shift controls. On my car right now that green connector just has one wire that goes to the horn button on the airbag. ST4 connects via the roll connector to plug B68 and this is where the differance comes in...?

In Trabbic's walk through he adds 4 wires but I am almost sure that on AT cars you only need to add 2 wires. Pins 2 and 8 on connector B68 allready exist and they are for illumination (I believe pin 8 is just the ground). In my car, the rear of the stereo IS wired for wheel controls (the violet/white and the orange/white) but I think they terminate @ connector B36. Now I am almost positive that you only need to splice into those 2 wires that I just mentioned and run them to connector B68 into pins 6 and 7. Now it gets better....on my car pin 6 on the harness side no wire exists so you can either splice it in on the roll connector side of the plug or crimp on the correct pin (I believe subaru stocks the blank pins) and install it in the connector. You do have to cut the 2 wires that go to the BIU but since I only have the 4speed I dont mind.

Archived