LegacyGT.com

5MT or 5AT... That is the Question...?

chorline

Hey All. Looking to consolidate down some cars into one - that possibly being a 06 Leg GT Sedan. I have driven manual transmission cars just about all my life, the most recents being a '04 modded STi that I traded in last November for a '04 Infiniti G35 6MT Sedan. I currently have the Infiniti and a '95 Saturn SL1 Automatic (my first and only ever Automatic car). I would be trading both of them in so I could have one nice, fun, practical, year round car (I live in NH).

My only concern is how the power and 'fun' comparison is between the 5AT and 5MT transmissions, and having owned an STi in the past, how bad is the turbo lag on the AT? Do those people that ended up getting an AT regret it having driven the MT, or do they even care? I'm 26 and enjoy 'spirited' driving which is why I love the idea of an MT but have always disliked the idea of a 'boring' AT car. (... that is a discussion for myself after a few martinis however....:icon_tong...).

So, is the lag that bad between the models? Would a Cobb AP fix this if I was to go AT, or is this the type of car that needs to be driven as a 5-speed? I have pathetically not driven one *yet* but will be soon.

Thanks for your time and any input!!

Jeremy

Manual FTW!!!!!!!!!!

The turbo lag is essentially non-existent. The car has lots of grunt in the low end, it just flies away above 3k. I am biased, of course, but I am sure you will be kicking yourself in the butt if you get auto.

Turbo + auto = :icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry:

Anyway, drive both and you will see....

Automatic transmissions are the automotive equivalent of a spork. It's a little easier, a little less efficient, and never feels quite right - but if the goal is to make eating (or driving) require the least possible effort, then it is a perfect choice.

If you want to drive the car, stick with the MT. If you only want to steer and brake, convert to the AT.

Yeah, I know . . . this is going to stir up a hornets nest of AT owners . . . ;)

The answer is really simple.

If getting the most out of the engine and the most driver involvement is most important to you above and beyond anything else, then manual without question.

If you're willing to sacrifice some fun for the greater convenience of an auto (or in some cases, the need) then 5EAT.

While it is a turbo and there will be more lag than an MT, the 2.5T is a stout engine that will still put a grin on your face even mated to a torque converter. We're not talking going from STi to 2.5i performance here (no disrespect to 2.5i owners).

Definetly test drive some to get a feel for it, but if at all possible, hook up with someone in your area that has a broken in 5EAT. As most other 5EAT owners would attest, the responsiveness increases quite noticeably after the first 200 miles of driving as it adapts. The ones on the dealers lots are probably relatively green and going to give you the wrong impression.

In my case, I picked the auto over the manual because I perceived the gain in flexibility of the 5EAT to be greater than the tradeoff in performance. There were several other factors that swayed my choice:

- I just don't trust the Subaru 5MT design. My last one had lots of problems and even though the 5MT has been "reinforced" it's long in the tooth. Compared to other manual gearboxes, the Legacy's is just okay. Nothing really special about it.

- In contrast, the 5EAT is sourced from JATCO and is a recent design that's also used in Nissans. Compared to other automatics, it's quite good, IMO.

- The 5EAT comes with VTD which is much more sophisticated than the VC AWD with the 5MT.

- The 5EAT shifts a lot more smoothly and quickly than many MT drivers including myself

Clearly in a enthusiast forum, you'll get a resounding cry for the manual, but I watned to give you some additional food for thought. Also, if you decide to go manual and want a sedan, I'd highly recommend saving up for the 07 Spec B which will come with the 6MT. It's based on a recent design and as the reviews indicate, it shines against other manual trannies.

Good luck in your decision. And, by the way, I don't regret making my 5EAT choice.

Ken

I got the 5EAT b/c I sit in traffic almost every day during my commute. I like driving an MT alot but it just wasn't practical for my daily driver. If I had another car just for commuting I'd have gotten the 5-speed without a doubt. Never drove an MT LGT yet though so I can make any comparisions on performance.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

i've been driving my LGT auto for 37000 now miles and very happy with it. sure there are days i wish i had a MT but the auto can very well hold its own especially in manual mode. hard launches from a stop is not so bad just have to learn to work with the turbo lag.

Up until I got the Legacy, I've only driven manual cars (STI, A4, 325i). I got the 5EAT for the following reasons.

1. I spend a lot time driving in heavy traffic.

2. The engine is powerful enough even with the 5EAT

3. I thought the gearbox was vague and the clutch difficult to drive smoothly.

4. Manual mode on the 5EAT (while not as quick as the DSG), does a decent job of keeping the revs where you want them. If this was a Honda shifter/clutch it would have been a tougher choice.

5. My wife does not drive manual. This way we can easily swap cars.

As mentioned earlier in this thread...try to drive a broke in 5AT.

If you really want to see the AT @ it's best ride / drive a stage II Protuned car. Lag is minimal the torque converter really helps you down low:)

As far as all out acceleration goes they are very....very close.

I came from a 6MT to the AT in the LGT.

Do I regret it...@ times, other times I am soo thankful I'm not shifting.

The AT does take away alot of the driver envolvement & skill level but as mentioned it has it's own benefits also....

Good luck;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I bought a 5EAT, and I only rarely wish I had gotten a manual. My commute is short, half city, half highway. Only a few chances to really get on it, much less play with a manual gearbox. Other than that, most of my driving is relatively short trips around town. There are no canyons to carve or windy two lane roads unless I get way the hell out of town, which doesn't happen more than a few times a year.

Most of my driving life is spent in traffic or on suburban roads with speed limits of 45 or less. Add to that the fact I'm lazy, and 5EAT was a good choice.

You got to drive them both and see like a lot have said. I like the idea that the 5mt matches up well with the engines character. But this motor is torquey enough for the auto too. tough call, but good pluses for both. Also negatives for both. You have to weigh how much fun you want. : )

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

The only reason I got the 5MT was because I enjoy driving stick.

That's it - plain and honest - it's just for enjoyment.

Many of my brothers above have cited that the 5EAT in our LGTs is more than just a "good" pairing to our vehicles - particularly at the more agressive states of tune. I totally agree with this, and what's more, I'd wager that unless the 5MT driver is absolutely on top of his game, the 5EAT, at comparable state of modification and tune, will just as likely "smoke" its manual opponent simply due to its consistency.

Sure, I enjoy driving automatics, too - but I feel that to be "one with the vehicle," a standard stickshift is almost a pre-requisite. Look at the Zonda and the Carrera GT - these are two hypercars that maintain a stickshift for the sole purpose of driver-involvement, as opposed to the brutally single-minded Enzo. For me, the enjoyment that comes from driving an automatic is different...it's then about trying to "out think" the car and what it's electronic brain wants to do - as such, I'm more at-conflict with the machine, instead of being one with it. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The only reason I got the 5MT was because I enjoy driving stick.

That's it - plain and honest - it's just for enjoyment....

Very well said, bro; my feelings exactly!:) (13+ years driving a stick)

I couldn't care less about how the new clutchless shifting technology evolves; I need that clutch and stick to keep me involved!:icon_bigg

But then I wouldn't mind getting an auto, if my wife insists. (she couldn't drive a stick) I've had my car for over a year now, and she's never driven my car... should've gotten an S2K.... jk...:icon_tong

I drive an Auto because!

1) I am lazy.

2) I smoke .

3) I use my cell alot.

4) Iam always fooling around with my ipod,

5) Drink coffee on my way to work.

6) The GF does not know how to drive a stick.

7) My commute sucks ( never get to go over 50mph)

8) wanted remote starter

9) I test drove the auto and thought it was great (for an auto)

10) I am not going to the drag strip or autox.

I am only @ stage one with a Tdc map and its still plenty of fun!

I won't go into the kill story about the time another 5speed Lgt who was trying to race me while we were both on our cell phones !

I always chuckle when I hear folks use the rush hour/commute rationale for getting AT.

I drive a very long stop&go rush hour commute to/from work every day with my MT5 - no problemo. Better fuel economy (25 mpg overall average) and I even get a workout! :lol:

Drive both, then decide....

This is the first auto transmission car I've owned, and it is actually kinda fun with the manual shift options. The upshifts, however, are REALLY slow, and the turbo lag is evident when doing the throttle stomp/shift down/spool up sequence in full auto mode.

I'm hoping that a someone will come up with a software tweak for faster upshifts. In the meantime, a Cobb AP/TDC map is on order to keep things interesting and stage II is somewhere in the future. My mid-80's Lotus Esprit is always at the ready for the "fully engaged" driving experience :-) No regrets buying an auto wagon.

:icon_idea Eat your fresh berries every day. Good for 5 hp.

• 7 months later...
This is the first auto transmission car I've owned, and it is actually kinda fun with the manual shift options. The upshifts, however, are REALLY slow, and the turbo lag is evident when doing the throttle stomp/shift down/spool up sequence in full auto mode.

I'm hoping that a someone will come up with a software tweak for faster upshifts. In the meantime, a Cobb AP/TDC map is on order to keep things interesting and stage II is somewhere in the future. My mid-80's Lotus Esprit is always at the ready for the "fully engaged" driving experience :-) No regrets buying an auto wagon.

I drive the 5eat and am pleased with it's performance. I have had a high speed stall converter installed and a reworked valve body. I have a fully built engine that makes 350-370 ft lbs torque at the wheels between 3200-3400 rpms. I haven't found a manual trans subaru that can stay with me. Launches are crazy fast...absolutely '0' lag.

Check out this link....the world's fastest Subies are auto. http://www.tonyrigoliperformance.com.au/

H.M.

I will admitt the 5EAT in the LGT is the best auto I've ever come across. I think you're ok either way.

exactly.

and since you are in NH, you are not too far from TDC. if you want your 5EAT fast, you just go there. ;)

i have a 5EAT, i prefer MT, but my auto LGT has been great. for daily driving in traffic, i love it. just swapped cars for the day w/ the hubby's 5MT and wow.... it was tough to drive and work at the same time. my job/business requires me to be able to multi task (why i went w/ an auto this time vs 6mt). i do miss the fun of a 6mt or 5mt, but i don't miss the shifting when i'm sitting in traffic or trying to get from one side of town to the other. plus, i can always switch the car into manual shift mode. albeit not exactly the same, but still fun.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived