LegacyGT.com

Muffler delete modification - pics and video

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seberry, thanks for posting that clip again... Gonna use it as a great example of how loud gear whine can be when people start getting all worried about it, hehe.

Anybody notice if you crack the rear windows how much louder the exhaust is? Might be a wagon thing, but even with a shorty DP/UP, there's a nice drone that hits if you crack the rear windows open along with the fronts.

Thanks for the comments, guys... I appreciate your feedback... (yeah.. both good and bad :lol: ). I'll try to do a video of the car from the inside... but getting the sound to record accurately is tough...

It seems as though azca is an expert on EVERYTHING. My car is too low, Your car is too loud, His dad can beat up your dad.............I pulled the muffler off my WRX within a week of getting it (Mar 04) and it's been my wifes DD since then. It's not like the exhaust isn't going through a turbo and a couple of cats and a resonator before it gets to the back of the car. I hope to do some exhaust work to mine in the next couple of weeks. More power to ya!

looks nice... sounds awful.

Really? :iam:

The only thing I am having touble getting used to is the slight noise increase while cruising. I love it around town and with varying speed... but with the cruise on, I can hear a slight drone around 62 mph. I am hoping the addition of the second pipe mellows it out a little.

well being as im am the only one on this board that has heard this exhaust in person (besides Mccorry). i am going to say that it sounds bad ass.

not only does it still maintain the boxer rumble, but it sounds as if the car is ready to open up a can of whoop ass on any unsuspecting challanger. i think it sounds amazing and i cant wait to hear what it sounds like once both are done.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

:eek: :eek: What the hell did you do to my mufflers??!!:eek::eek: Steve, looks great!! I am glad they went to good use.:)

nick.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Anybody notice if you crack the rear windows how much louder the exhaust is? Might be a wagon thing, but even with a shorty DP/UP, there's a nice drone that hits if you crack the rear windows open along with the fronts.

^ Not just a wagon thing.

Rear windows open vs. closed is a world of difference with my current setup (Crucial UP/DP -to- stock 3rd cat section -to- 3" mid-w/Magnaflow resonator -to- Lachute Y -to- Blitz Nur-Spec Touring canisters).

The wifey probably won't even notice any difference between just having the canisters and having the cat-back to pre-axle piping changed, provided I have the windows up, but especially with the rears open, I'm now actually *enjoying* the way this car sounds. :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

As long as you keep the resonator on it will sound really good. Even if you are running no cats it will still sound good. I have done 3 cats, just resonator, no mufflers. No mufflers, no resonator, 3 cats. One high flow cat, resonator, no mufflers. And one high flow cat no resonator and no mufflers. That last option was very loud and very crappy sounding. I have done just about everything you can do with this exhaust. And what do I have now?? A Stromung cat back.. I got tired of all the other crap that I did myself and went and bought something thats made for my car. To all of you out there, dont waste your time and money and just go buy a cat back exhaust thats made for the car.. you will be much happier!

^Pretty close to stock, but better flow. I cut the bend of the elbow off, drilled holes in it and cut the perforated section with end cap off as well. So basically it's still a chambered exhaust. I didn't have time to test and tune because I had to go to work and would have liked it louder. Thought about cutting off the outlet pipe at the rear chamber but was worried if I ever scraped a curb backing up that it wouldn't be strong enough and break the tip. Try taking the mufflers off and going for a cruise, sounds like a afterburner at full boost. What's a guy to do when you run out of pop rivets?

• 1 year later...

Just a friendly update. Several months now without mufflers on the car.

My wife doesn't want me to put the can's back on. I get at least one compliment a week on how good the car sounds... and one guy at a gas station asked me if the car was a new GTO. :lol:

Corry - do you think it is LOUDER or SOFTER with muffler deletes vs NO mufflers (pipes exiting upwards toward car)?

Quieter..... not much louder, IMHO, then the Hogzawst.... but it doesn't have that "exhaust leak" sound at idle.

• 7 months later...

bring this back.

i also did this a while back. I will NOT buy a CBE. I love the way this sounds now. After hearing steve's i went and did this and did not look back. And especially after going stage II with the COBB HFC down she sound noice.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Archived