LegacyGT.com

Muffler delete modification - pics and video

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicwe work. Looks and sounds good. Will you do both? How hard to swap?

Yeah... I did the one first to make sure the take-off measurements would work. I'll start the second one next week.

As far as the swap.. it is a complete bolt in.. once the pipe is fabricated. The first one took some time to get all the measurements right.

I have a mechanical contractor at work that helped me out a bunch... they have angle finders, center finders, etc. Plus.. a plasma cutter. ;)

I'm keeping the stockers because I like the option of switching out the pipes if I want to.

PS - my wife and I took a trip today and it passed the "wife test". But then again... my wife is pretty cool. ;)

IDK ... i think i would like a more purring exhaust ... and i like to hear the turbo, not the exhaust

Trust me... I can hear both. In the cabin.. I can still hear the turbo spool and the BOV (stocker) release. The exhaust isn't that loud, really.

nice steve. the final product should sound awsome. might have to have you fab me something similar for the borla. its to quite now..lol i want something louder/meaner.

The 2 guys that helped me out on this have been talking about doing some stuff like this on the side. They helped lay out the design and assembly.

I am slow.. but I bet they could turn you out a set pretty quick now that we have the dimensions.

grow up

How so? Every post I see of yours is 3-5 words of trash and negativity. I thought you were kidding with the original Rice comment.. but I see, now, that you weren't joking. You have every right to think it is rice and to say so, but you don't know me and you sure have no right to tell me to "grow up".

If you don't have anything productive to add... move on. :rolleyes:

Oh... I know in some places it is illegal to remove or modify the baffles inside the muffler... I assume that you could achieve the same results by installing a pipe inside the muffler to keep it stock looking? I think it looks a bit naked without the muffler behind the tailpipes.

You could do it.. but it would be difficult based on the amount of cutting and welding that you would have to do to the internals to get a pipe in there. Plus... getting a good weld all the way around the pipe would be nearly impossible. You'd have to peel the can all the way open (leaving the two end plates), do all your welding... then bend the cover back over and weld it all closed.

It would be hard to do without it looking like crap.

lol, ok

just 1 question: you are actually planning to drive that car daily without mufflers? :lol:

How so? Every post I see of yours is 3-5 words of trash and negativity. I thought you were kidding with the original Rice comment.. but I see, now, that you weren't joking. You have every right to think it is rice and to say so, but you don't know me and you sure have no right to tell me to "grow up".

If you don't have anything productive to add... move on. :rolleyes:

any one that wants to know what it sounds like caqn jsut un bolt their muflers and drive around the block

ps but dont drive around 2 much like that. i manged to melt my fender liners. not a big deal and no harm done. but driving like that un checked could cause an issue or 2

The only trouble with that is all you hear is the exhaust hitting the fender when you hit turbo (rush of air sound). You don't get the full sound of the exhaust other than at low excelleration and idle. You need something to redirect the exhaust down or out.

lol, ok

just 1 question: you are actually planning to drive that car daily without mufflers? :lol:

I have for 3 days and my wife likes it... so yeah.... it will probably stay. When cruising on the highway at 65 mph... you can't really tell that it isn't factory. It's not loud at all.....

My buddy (Legacy2005) on here has the cat-back Borla and we compared the cars yesterday. The borla is about the same volume... but more mellow. The muffler delete has a little more "bite" to it.

The big difference is when you accelerate hard (boost) or when you are up in rev's... then is wakes up.

When I put the second side on... I hope it mellows it a little. I wouldn't want it any louder. If it gets louder, then I will paint the can flat black and put it back on and only run 1 muffler delete pipe.

The only trouble with that is all you hear is the exhaust hitting the fender when you hit turbo (rush of air sound). You don't get the full sound of the exhaust other than at low excelleration and idle. You need something to redirect the exhaust down or out.

Yeah.. it sounds quite different when you have it plumbed out the back. Much cleaner sounding.

Verrrrrrry nice sound! :)

And looks very stealth, to-boot!

I love the pops on the over-run. :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived