LegacyGT.com

Does the mileage get any better than this?

The other thing you may be having a problem with is the calibration. During my first week with the car it was 'learning' what the mileage was, constantly going up. I knew from basic math that the car was doing better than it was reporting. After the first tank, the computer was more on track.

Also, depending on where you live, the mileage will be better. I live in Salt Lake City and the thin air seems to improve gas mileage. But, up and down the mountain doesn't help anyone.

Another thing that hapened to me and may be happening to you; The first tank registered quite low. What I mean is that when I went to refuel from near empty the tank only took 12 gallons, even though the tank is for 17. I haven't refueled since, but I'm anxious to see if this was a calibration that

a) fixes itself

b) subaru setting aside a preposterous reserve

c) something to talk with my dealer about

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just made a 800 mile trip this weekend. My GT is well broken in at 21,000 miles. For the trip out, I drove it the speed limit (65 to 70 mph) with the cruise and no A/C. MPG was 29.5. I drove it a bit faster on the way back and had 28 mpg. No it is not a fuel sipper, but it beats V8 engine cars.

And this is not only for everyone, but for me also.

Guys with the 2.5GT's turbo'd. Im sorry, you bought a turbo charged car. And you bought a (roughly) 30k dollar car! I think gas prices should be the least of your worries.

thats like a guy buying a hummer, then complaining about gas. MOST of the time, if we can afford a car that cost this much, gas shouldn't hurt us. If you must, park your LGT, and go get a new Yaris. Sorry, rant over.

Ay, Bendito!

Here in Puerto Rico you ALWAYS goes fast!!! So my average MPG in my Subbie is 15.6! But those are the better miles I enjoy every day!!! Rapido, rapido, rapido!!! (Where are those Evo's???)

Like a Serta Mattress: The Perfect Sleeper! ;)

And this is not only for everyone, but for me also.

Guys with the 2.5GT's turbo'd. Im sorry, you bought a turbo charged car. And you bought a (roughly) 30k dollar car! I think gas prices should be the least of your worries.

thats like a guy buying a hummer, then complaining about gas. MOST of the time, if we can afford a car that cost this much, gas shouldn't hurt us. If you must, park your LGT, and go get a new Yaris. Sorry, rant over.

First of all, my Legacy Gt was closer to $26K out the door. I believe that is roughly in line with the average price of a car in this country today. This is not an expensive car. And when gas is $3+ per gallon, I am concerened about crappy mileage.

Second, while the car is turbocharged, it's not like it's some aftermarket setup pushing huge boost and creating huge HP. We're talking about 250HP here. This car really needs a 6th gear overdrive for high speed cruising.

I'm not even going to touch your Subaru/Hummer comment.:confused:

Guest JessterCPA

I get low 20's consistently, except if I do all town/city driving, where I get probably 16 or so. A full tank of highway @ about 80mph gives me maybe only 24.

Jesse

First of all, my Legacy Gt was closer to $26K out the door. I believe that is roughly in line with the average price of a car in this country today. This is not an expensive car. And when gas is $3+ per gallon, I am concerened about crappy mileage.

Second, while the car is turbocharged, it's not like it's some aftermarket setup pushing huge boost and creating huge HP. We're talking about 250HP here. This car really needs a 6th gear overdrive for high speed cruising.

Turbo + AWD = shitty gas mileage. Should of done some research before purchasing since gas prices was already high.

It'll improve, once you let you let off the gas and drive more conservatively.

I don't complain, you pay to play!

Guest JessterCPA
Turbo + AWD = shitty gas mileage. Should of done some research before purchasing since gas prices was already high.

It'll improve, once you let you let off the gas and drive more conservatively.

I don't complain, you pay to play!

I think my overall displeasure from the gas mileage stemmed from just simply how bad it can be. I understand 100%, that horsepower + AWD + a larger sedan does not equate to Prius like MPG. But I was stymied with how much worse it was than my Jetta 1.8t. If you plan to drive aggressively at all with a LGT, you mileage will suffer. It's a matter of degree.

Fortunately, I only work 6 miles from home now. Those fill ups hurt less often now.

Jesse

Once you go past 70-75 mph, you are pretty much screwed. Keep in mind, air resistance increase exponentially. If you need to go fast and still be economical, learn how to draft. Drafting doesn't necessairly mean to tailgate someone.

More specifically, air resistance, or commonly known as "Drag" is a function of the velocity squared.

Drag = Cd * FPA * 0.5 * rho * V * V

where

Cd is the vehicle's coefficient of drag

FPA is the "flat plate area" of the vehicle

rho is the air density

V is how fast you are going

So, if my math is correct compared to 65 mph;

at 80 mph Drag is 51% greater

at 100 mpg Drag is 136% greater

--

In mixed highway and stop-n-go I get about 21 mpg, and if I do all highway I can eek out 24.5 mpg. I've got 2,000 miles on my '06 LGT. Also, this is not by the trip computer, but hand calcs from gas receipts. My trip computer reads about 12% high on the mpg.

If you want to go easy on the gas, drop in a boost gauge and try not to go > 0, but then what fun is that?

Be well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

K, go buy a Yaris then, or a civic if u want to complain about gas mileage my friend.

touch the subaru/hummer comment, it was just a figure of speech. no way was i comparing the cars.

26k-30k isn't alot for you? You got money then. 30k was alot for me.

I agree with the 6th gear for crusing no doubt, but you knew what the LGT was, 5 speed, turbo. Pay the gas, or park it and walk.

I will pay for my gas, gladly.

Ahh quite your whining. I got you all beat in gas consumption. I'm not talking mpg, I'm talking actual fuel usage. My gas bill for a week is probably more than what most of you use in a month. I fill up at about 3 times per week, which is about 36 gals per week.

Lately I've been getting about 1-2 mpg better than usual, right now at 25-26 mpg. The local speed tax collectors are heavily enforcing a zero tolerance speeding policy.

Uy! I can imagine, traffic in Bayamon is quite bad and gas in PR isn't the best. I get around 19-20 mpg in my car here in Houston, 65% Highway, 35% traffic lights, which is where it goes down. Like some people say it's hard to stay off boost. :icon_bigg

Ay, Bendito!

Here in Puerto Rico you ALWAYS go fast!!! So my average MPG in my Subbie is 15.6! But those are the better miles I enjoy every day!!! Rapido, rapido, rapido!!! (Where are those Evo's???)

I just filled up today, had gone 280 miles this tank before the gas light came on, and put in about 13.9 gallons, so I'll call it 20mpg, with my commute being about 5 miles of stop and go in-town driving and 5 miles of highway driving each way.

Carputer reports 21.3 avg so it's about 1mpg optimistic.

I get 23-25 with an h6 doing 75-80. new to sube's. I see some of you talking mods, with the H6 motor (2001) what mods are best investment. Wouldn't mind a little better lower end power, between idle and 3400rpm power seams lacking.

• 3 months later...
It sounds like most people are getting close to EPA +/-5%-10% depending on driving style. That's consistent with my past experience with cars. Some are off the mark farther than others like mine. I've been getting 15-16 in town (15 when enjoying the drive and 16 when being grandmotherly) and 22 on the hiway (whether 75 with bursts of 85, or 90 with bursts of 100). That's with calc'd mileage not computer mileage. My guess is that there is potential for computer mapping breakdown of some sort (or?). My friend with a 400HP Mustang Cobra has reported 20 in town and 30 tooling on the hiway. I told the dealer after my third trip to diagnose the mileage that I could improve the mileage on my 05 LGT MT wagon by loading it on a flatbed and hauling it around. Less fun for sure though. Not acceptable. Cross your fingers.

dude I drive between 80-100 all the time.....I get

about 23 to 25 all highway..it gets a little better but not much

That does not sound beliveable. Maybe mine is particularly thirsty but I'll never go beyond 18-19 mpg at those speeds.

I drive pretty consistantly at 85 in nebraska and i get about 23.4 to 23.7 on the highway.

Well, mine is a wagon, but that should not make more like 1 mpg difference :(

I am kinda confused, because even though I have a lead foot, based on the comments here, mine must be on the thirsty side. Any ideas why?

Archived