LegacyGT.com

Does the mileage get any better than this?

I've been checking some of the threads on gas mileage on this site. My sense is that around 80% of the responses show near EPA mileage (+/- 1 or 2 mpg depending on driving intensity). The others are, like mine, pathetically low. I can't get above 16mpg in city driving no matter how I drive (I drove a tank with up shifts no higher than around 3,000rpm; drive in the highest gear possible; stay off he boost - still 16mpg). My guess is that the calibration of the fuel management system has a wide tolerance before it triggers a CEL. I'm getting my car back from the dealer's second diagnostic attempt which came out "everything's fine." I'll call the factory rep tomorrow. I don't think that 15/16 city is ok against an EPA of 19/20 (I think the '05 and '06 numbers are different). Unless they want to advertise the cars at that mpg. Unclemat, I've got the same car (05 ABP unltd wagon) and the gas mileage is also extraordinarily sucky. If I can get somewhere with this with Subaru I'll keep you posted. Otherwise I might have to trade the car in on a Pontiac GTO to improve my mileage but lose the AWD.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, mine is a wagon, but that should not make more like 1 mpg difference :(

I am kinda confused, because even though I have a lead foot, based on the comments here, mine must be on the thirsty side. Any ideas why?

a wagon does weight more i would imagine.

I love my car ... basically.

The unlimited wagon weighs about the same as the limited sedan. Shouldn't make a difference on mpg. I've done a few freeway trips at around 90+/- and I've done trips at around 75. I've gotten 22mpg on both.

I guess when you are just cruising it doesnt require that much more fuel ...

yall outfitted with radar detectors?

I love my car ... basically.

Well now at just about 15,000 miles on the Spec.b, and I get about 21-23 mpg. This is a mix of highway and city driving. Initially I was getting about 19-21, so this is an improvement.

Of course, this is with the optimistic trip computer. Actually it is probably something like 1.45643 mpg less. I just try not to think about it.

If I drive the car to work(75 miles round trip) I get almost 26 MPG for a whole tank.

If my wife drives it back and forth to school, and to run errands, she gets about 22 or so. She does a lot more city driving. Maybe she just drives more aggressively than I do. She is the one who got the ticket for going 65 in a 45 zone.

Well this thread still seems active, just ran a search for gas mileage :p

First tank up w/ some somewhat aggressive driving in my 07 LGT garnered 16.9mpg @ $2.739/g. Second tank, 17.8mpg @$2.659/g :D (less aggressive acceleration).

Rising gas prices? What? I'm not too concerned about the gas. I kinda knew that's how it was going to be when I got it :p The first week though I really went through the tank fast--anyway Subaru gave me that fuel! I was driving all over having a blast. I've got that initial burst out of me though, and now it's back to the regular usage of the car.

Saab's are tuned with fuel economy bias AND they do not have AWD drag that typically drops mileage by 2-4MPG.

Your Subaru offers significantly more on tap power and AWD traction at those speeds so that is the compromise.

Slow down your mileage will improve. My wife with a 50 mile commute of some highway lots of 55-60MPH backroads has our LGT wagon at 23MPG on computer nearing 9500 miles.

Archived