LegacyGT.com

boost problem?

'05 lgt unlimited 5eat 34K, bought with 32K

first 1K miles were jawdropping, ...as for the second K:

when the car's cold, it's fine, it's the animal that i bought -- (i'm aware not get too rough with it b4 it's warmed up, it's just someting i noticed, i.e. first 5 minutes driving =feels strong/about right). after it gets up to temp, it seems to have a much higher boost threshold than it used to, and revs like a bastard if i push it, practically redlining every gear, whereas when i first got this car, i couldn't imagine getting anywhere near redlining it (i.e. it's working too hard for what it's doing). i do feel the boost, but not like i used to and not when (in the rpms) i used to. and when the car's warm, it seems about half of what it used to be and half of what it is when it's cold. i've noticed (because i'm a clean freak) that the exhaust tips are sooting up after each drive -- is it running rich; if so, why? btw, no cels at all.

had a 'standard' inspection at subaru a couple of weeks ago -- they drove it, did their thing looking at it, said it was 'rock solid.' at the time, i took their word, cuz i've only had the car for a month or so. but i'm fairly convinced all's not perfectly well. nothing seems tragically wrong, but i know that some really hairy problems can start out as little little annoyances, and frankly, i'm jonesing for my lost f-n boost.

i'm going for the 30K service monday (500 friggin bucks) and i really want this issue solved before 36K - I bought the 60K for 300$, but w/ a 100$ deductible - and before my AP gets here on wednesday [half woot]). i don't think it's just me getting used to the car.

What the hell should i say to the dealer to get them to check the right stuff and not dick me around? anything i could check myself? any advice 1000% appreciated. thanx for taking the time to read/help.

The car will always feel stronger when it is cold... the IC is cold and the air charge is very dense. Plus the car is in closed loop mode.

When it warms up, the computer gets more involved.. and the IC gets a little heatsoaked.

thx mcorry, good to know; maybe that cold blast reminds me of the first time :) .

i've done lotsa searching in here and read some horror stories (i.e OCV malfunctions, ECUs going to shit fairly quickly, "shift shock," etc, etc.), that kinda had me freaked.

but i've been informed that this car throws cels at just about any little thing that could go wrong, so that's a bit of a load off -- no cels as of yet.

so for now i'm gonna assume it's psychological :iam: , and hope the AP is the fix.

I have a 5eat too, bone stock, and lately have been thinking the same thing. Car seems to be lacking boost, nothing like when I first got it. I've got 7k on the car now. No CEL's either. I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery and pumping the brakes to reset the ECU to see if that does anything. It might just be that we're getting used to it too. I need to go drive a slow car for a week.
- The Mortgage Man

I have a 5eat too, bone stock, and lately have been thinking the same thing. Car seems to be lacking boost, nothing like when I first got it. I've got 7k on the car now. No CEL's either. I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery and pumping the brakes to reset the ECU to see if that does anything. It might just be that we're getting used to it too. I need to go drive a slow car for a week.

^^tried that^^

i think i conned myself into thinking that made a substantial diff for a day or two, lol. -- worth a shot, tho, i guess.

good 2 know i'm not alone.

My exhaust tips are black too, but from what I've read and researched that's pretty normal for turbo cars. I bought my car in October (cooler weather) perhaps its the warmer temps we're starting to have affecting the performance of a turbo car?
- The Mortgage Man

yeah 70-80 degree weather, car feels a little slower. Really making me want stage 2 but that might not even seem fast in these temps :/ I've been driving pretty hard lately hopefully the autotrans and the engine can take it.

damned nature :icon_mad:.

that makes a whole lotta sense -- and yeah, with the 10-degree drop we had here 2-nite, she was flyin, nice and smooth...very interesting... it all kinda fits together now. mental note: must move to iceland.

sucks for summer, but definitely better than a real problem, tho :) . i hope that's all it is.

god, i feel like such a noob - much to learn.

thx to everyone for input.

Have you tried checking your fuel pressure? It could be a partially clogged fuel filter that's not letting full flow through. Does it buck at full throttle on the highway?

The stock gauges are woefully inadequate for a performance model, especially a turbo that's putting up 13+lbs of boost. No boost gauge, no oil temp/pressure, voltmeter, etc.

But the grinmeter works fine and gets pegged regularly.

Archived