LegacyGT.com

Strange question from a LGT owner

I like my LGT just fine. But I use it as a company car and increasingly that involves bad roads / no roads. Nothing extreme, but I've bottomed out a couple of times recently. Most guys in my line of work use pickups, but I'd like to avoid it.

Soooo, I'm thinking about putting Outback sized tires on my LGT. Discuss...

If you don't mind a harsher ride, you might consider stiffer springs and adjustible shocks. Those will certainly make more of a difference than the higher profile tires.

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

So does anyone know an OB owner selling his springs and struts? Maybe someone is slamming his wagon and going with coilovers or something...

I did some research and gearing is different too...

Maybe I should just trade it in...

Sounds like you might be in telecomms? Anyway, you have pleanty of clearance to go a size taller tires. This will give you another 1/4", and fill up the wheel wells a little better. You probably could go 2 sizes, but your power and speedometer will be way off.

Good Luck!

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

The Outback suspension compresses relatively easily into its bumpstops too. The new multi-link suspension, while great for interior room, has robbed-us of the famed Subaru suspension travel-I suspect. I think you would be better-off with a set of Bilsteins. I would watch-out for coil-overs, as they usually add NVH and inevitable maintenance issues.

There are no aftermarket dampers for the OB, so the GT with the Bilsteins may actully have less of a proclivity toward compressing into the bumpstops than the OBXT.(?)

Compression and travel are secondary concerns. I'm talking problems with static ride height and ground clearance. The occasional hidden stump is not out of the question.

No, I'm not in telecom. I'm a Land Man so I travel out to see landowners and convince them to agree to allow oil and gas co's to cross or locate on their land. More and more often, I'm dealing with the fringe of civilization (both literally and figuratively).

Does anyone make a gun rack for the LGT? :lol:

Does anyone make a gun rack for the LGT? :lol:

Check with Gall's or other police distribution catalogs, the ones for the Crown Vic seem pretty generic. I remember that one of the Werbell sons had a gunrack in the back of his Cadillac ( kinda obtuse, the Werbell's were a major part of the Sionics / MAC-10 MAC-12 crowd and started Brigade Quartermasters)

It's possible, that one of the overhead/concealed gunracks might work. I'd to it, but Gov't facilities get bent out of shape enough when they see remains from a weekend's excursion to the range.

I pulled my stock and replaced with coilovers. I might be selling my stock setup.

Let me know if you decide to sell. I went to the dealership today and asked them to workup a deal on trading in my LGT for a OBXT. I'll do a cost benefit comparison of trade in vs. your struts and a set of tires.

Well, I've made a very hard decision and I'll be trading the Legacy for a F-150. And I just ordered a Cobb dp too :(

:icon_frow

If you don't need the pickup bed to haul big/really dirty stuff, why not an OBXT? It sounds like an Outback would do alright on the trails you're talking about, and it would drive infinitely better than an F150 on the pavement.

I am familiar with your job situation.

I ordered my LGT in July '04, got it 10/1/04, then started doing mudlogging on gas wells with my b-in-l, who is a geologist and has a geological consulting company.

Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten an Outback, just for the extra ground clearance. I busted a radiator on frozen mud when the car was about 3 months old, and the plastic "fairing" under the engine (or what was left of it) was ripped out a year ago.

Actually a 4x4 truck with mudders would be the best, but I ain't a pickup guy. In most cases, the Outback ground clearance would do it. I don't tow the logging trailer (6,000 #s), but I tow a small utility trailer with our Dway internet dish, which is no big deal.

The LGT gets through stuff OK (the 5MT helps a lot, IMHO), it's just the ground clearance issues. I now ignore the sand and clay that I scrape on bottom!!

Ron

Rporter, I bet you could at least break even if not make money trading for an equivalent mileage 5MT OBXT, given the relatively rarity of 5MT LGT wagons. I'm not saying you need to/should, but I don't think it would cost you anything even given the taxes involved.

Rporter, I bet you could at least break even if not make money trading for an equivalent mileage 5MT OBXT, given the relatively rarity of 5MT LGT wagons. I'm not saying you need to/should, but I don't think it would cost you anything even given the taxes involved.

Other than hearing from folks on this list, I have never seen a 5MT OBXT!

Well, no way I could make any $$$ at it, and it would be a loss that I'm not up for doing. I have 31K now, and will put on a few more thousand over the next month or so. My car is relatively high mileage.

FWIW, I originally was considering a WRX wagon back in early '03. After seeing the C&D test of the Forester XT 2.5 5MT in the 8/2003 issue, I was leaning toward one of those. Once I saw the '05 LGT at the NAIAS in 1/2004, that iced it.

I had a Forester as a loaner when they worked on the LGT. I have also considered one of those. A bit less space but lighter and should run better than the heavier OBXT.

I have been thinking about these options, as since the 5MT LGT wagon is n/a, I (and really, all of you also) am only one inattentive 16-year-old driver away from having the car totaled the next time I drive!! Need to think about what I'll do in that probability.

Ron

The LL Bean edition only comes with the H6.

FWIW, this is my 1st Subaru, and frankly my only interest is in the turbo engines with a 5MT, the other models would not be something that I would buy.

I also hate the "new" SOA website. the only model that has Ground Clearance in the specs is the Forester. IMHO, the specs should show Ground Clearance for all of the models, which IIRC it did in the "old" site.

Ron

Archived