LegacyGT.com

Omori Boost Gauge on Steering Column

Meltdown07

I've put the 45mm Omori Full Color Boost Gauge install instructions on my web site.

It can be found here

At some point I will put it on this website.

Thanks for the write up! Finally had some time to do my install. Couple of notes...

I used the same hole in the firewall but in my 05 MT it was hidden behind some cloth dampening material (stood there scratching my head for about 5-10 minutes).

Feeding the wire down was a lot easier then I expected, I used a length of bike brake housing reached up behind the gas and found it right away.

You only really need to remove the driver side under panel, and with a good grabber probably not even that one.

The gauge wire harness had the power/ground coming out the same end that plugs into the gauge so I slide it back through the wire sheath.

At first I wired the gauge to the ACC line, then I noticed it'd come on with IGN then go off after the I pulled the key. So I moved it over the IGN2 line and voila only comes on with the gauges. Right now it's just jammed into the fuse socket, but I'll fix that up soon.

Next thing I'm going to double check is if it can be dimmed by voltage. Jspec said the Nasioc harness won't work with the full color boost gauge...

Next thing I'm going to double check is if it can be dimmed by voltage. Jspec said the Nasioc harness won't work with the full color boost gauge...

If you have the full-color gauge, you can manually dim the gauge backlighting by adjusting the dials on the color box down equally (which will create the same color, but less illumination). I have the dimmer switch in the LGT one back from full brightness, and I adjusted the color box to match.

For some reason, the same setup in my Forester does actually dim with the dimmer switch, but it doesn't occur in the LGT. Both gauges are tapped into the illumination wire in the radio harness.

-Mike-

Thanks for the write up! Finally had some time to do my install. Couple of notes...

I used the same hole in the firewall but in my 05 MT it was hidden behind some cloth dampening material (stood there scratching my head for about 5-10 minutes).

Feeding the wire down was a lot easier then I expected, I used a length of bike brake housing reached up behind the gas and found it right away.

You only really need to remove the driver side under panel, and with a good grabber probably not even that one.

The gauge wire harness had the power/ground coming out the same end that plugs into the gauge so I slide it back through the wire sheath.

At first I wired the gauge to the ACC line, then I noticed it'd come on with IGN then go off after the I pulled the key. So I moved it over the IGN2 line and voila only comes on with the gauges. Right now it's just jammed into the fuse socket, but I'll fix that up soon.

Hope you found it useful.

I'll see if I can work your comments into the process. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know if you will have any success with the dimming function. I think dimming works differently than what you would expect in the Legacy. I poked around a bit with a Fluke multimeter and something didn't add up on the dimmed circuits, perhaps a differential voltage is used? I'm a Mechanical Engineering/Software geek, moving electrons through wires :iam:

Shows us some pics of the final product!

Enjoy the boost gauge.

Be Well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

If you have the full-color gauge, you can manually dim the gauge backlighting by adjusting the dials on the color box down equally (which will create the same color, but less illumination). I have the dimmer switch in the LGT one back from full brightness, and I adjusted the color box to match.

That's exactly what I did. But it'd be nice to have it brighter during the day.

I don't know if you will have any success with the dimming function. I think dimming works differently than what you would expect in the Legacy. I poked around a bit with a Fluke multimeter and something didn't add up on the dimmed circuits, perhaps a differential voltage is used? I'm a Mechanical Engineering/Software geek, moving electrons through wires :iam:

I'm pretty sure they're not droping the positive side from +12v but upping the ground side from 0v to like +5 or something similar.

I suspect that the gauge box has a few variable resisters or something to vary the voltage to the indivual colors. I noticed that gauge displays full green if the box fails so I wonder if the box dims the same way as the car... One of these days I'll pull the box out an figure it out. Just not really motivated at the moment. I usually keep my brightness levels low at night so during the day it just look white.

Shows us some pics of the final product!

Someday, however it's not even screwed in yet! Still figuring out just where I want the gauge. Plus I noticed that the gauge rotates around in the pod easily so I need to get wires just right so it doesn't go off level when the wheel is moved up or down...

• 1 month later...
thanks for the write up! i'm about to head down to the garage to start my install. however, i don't have the same guages, but really needed to figure out WHERE to hook the power and ground. i'll report back my findings... hopefully it's pretty simple.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 1 month later...

I put this gauge in my 06 Outback this weekend. Thanks to everyone for the tips and pics. I did bore another hole behind the gauge for the vacuum line and wires. It was far enough back to allow enough vacuum line free flow to the gauge but not far back enough to stop me from raising the steering wheel all the way up (I'm kind of tall!). I was installing JazzyMT's Auxilary ipod adapter at the same time so I hooked up the power lines to the power outlet under the climate control.

Everything worked out great. The only thing I would have done differently is paid more attention to the position that I mounted the gauge pod. When I sit in the driver seat, it is a little to the left. Oh well, after a while I probably won't notice.

Archived