LegacyGT.com

Omori Boost Gauge on Steering Column

Meltdown07

Just installed my 45mm Omori full color boost gauge on my steering column today. I put it off to the right side. I think this is the best position for it in automatics, because it truely does not obstruct views of the odometer or the fuel gauge, and it doesnt block the gear display when I am in sport shift mode. Let me know what you think. I think it looks pretty damn good if I do say so myself. Now if I can only my Sirius display wasnt blue...

Day and nightime pictures are below.

Also tomorrow, I'll put up another install thread, there seems to be a lot of people interested in putting gauges on the column lately, and most of the "how to's" are for a cubby install, which as you can see, wasnt an option for me. Anyway, look for that tomorrow, or tuesday at the latest.

Install1a.thumb.jpg.defdadaaffd498488c83acaeab9a4a84.jpg

Install2a.thumb.jpg.73e488dda03350a53cc7de30414a2a85.jpg

Go Cardinals!

Looks good! :)

what did you use to mount and hold the gauge in place?

J-Spec Tuning makes a gauge pod specifically for the 45mm Omori. It mounts via screws/nuts (you have to drill into your column). I'm sure that you could also use heavy duty double-sided tape to secure it (if you have it on the flatter portion of the column cover).

Pod;

http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_info.php/products_id/127

Pod+Gauge;

http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_info.php/products_id/126

-Mike-

Looks good! :)

J-Spec Tuning makes a gauge pod specifically for the 45mm Omori. It mounts via screws/nuts (you have to drill into your column). I'm sure that you could also use heavy duty double-sided tape to secure it (if you have it on the flatter portion of the column cover).

Pod;

http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_info.php/products_id/127

Pod+Gauge;

http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_info.php/products_id/126

-Mike-

Yep! I bought mine from Jspec tuning. Thats the exact deal they have online. Came with everything you need.

awesome! what did you use to mount and hold the gauge in place? I was thinking of doing something similar to yours but wasn't sure where to put it.

To secure it I piloted two holes in the column with a drill, then I just used the two included screws to secure the pod. Wasnt that bad, just make sure your holes are straight. Hid the color changing thing in the fuse box. I'll have detailed instructions up today or tomorrow.

Go Cardinals!

Nice and clean! Good job! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

how much of the fuel gauge does it cover up.. hard to tell by the picture if that is your perspective or not.

Doesnt block my view of anything at all. I'll take another pic from my perspective after work to give you an idea.

Go Cardinals!

Cool thanks!

Here's the picture I promised from my eye height at the car. This is exactly what I see when I am driving. As you can see, nothing is blocked by the gauge. Hope that helps.

install3pov.thumb.jpg.9428cc15549f20d9a88e8cae9fac5f28.jpg

Go Cardinals!

I've been flirting around with this gauge for a few months now. Thanks for making my decision easy. Looks great!!!

Glad to help. I see you have a MT so either side of the column should be good, but I really like the right anyway. You'll love it this gauge is great.

Go Cardinals!

For the MT, you can mount it in front of the tach without blocking anything other than the illuminated "Legacy."

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/interior/omori1.jpg

-Mike-

Here's the picture I promised from my eye height at the car. This is exactly what I see when I am driving. As you can see, nothing is blocked by the gauge. Hope that helps.

Thanks man.. looks great.. I think im gonna go the same route. :)

Wow that looks great, I think I sold now on doing this setup. Question, I haven't looked yet but does that wire loom and wire obstruct the steering column from being adjusted all the way up?

To be honest, I havent tried, I dont ever put my steering wheel up at the top position. I'll let you know after I get home today.

EDIT:

Okay, the way I have the cable fed through does prohibit the steering wheel from the very top position. I can get it decently close though. Then again, like I said, its not a big deal to me, I usually keep it closer to the bottom than the top, i'm not short, just prefer it that way.

Go Cardinals!

"Also tomorrow, I'll put up another install thread, there seems to be a lot of people interested in putting gauges on the column lately, and most of the "how to's" are for a cubby install, which as you can see, wasnt an option for me. Anyway, look for that tomorrow, or tuesday at the latest."

Can't wait to see your install. I have a 52MM gauge and pod but I have not seen good intructions on how to do the Gauge, wiring and tubing.

"Also tomorrow, I'll put up another install thread, there seems to be a lot of people interested in putting gauges on the column lately, and most of the "how to's" are for a cubby install, which as you can see, wasnt an option for me. Anyway, look for that tomorrow, or tuesday at the latest."

Can't wait to see your install. I have a 52MM gauge and pod but I have not seen good intructions on how to do the Gauge, wiring and tubing.

Yeah I'm sorry, I'm still doing it, just been a crazy week at work. I'll get it up very soon though.

Go Cardinals!

• 2 weeks later...

Meltdown... Where did you buy your boost gauge? The J-Spec Tuning link posted by CreoSTi only shows a red-illuminated gauge. The pod looks good, but I'd want a gauge like yours... white text + red needle.

EDIT: I looked at the larger pic a bit closer (on the J-Spec site). Is the backlight adjustable?

Meltdown... Where did you buy your boost gauge? The J-Spec Tuning link posted by CreoSTi only shows a red-illuminated gauge. The pod looks good, but I'd want a gauge like yours... white text + red needle.

EDIT: I looked at the larger pic a bit closer (on the J-Spec site). Is the backlight adjustable?

he did get his from J-Spec: http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_info.php/products_id/126

or you can get it from j-spec on ebay like i did and its 5 bucks cheaper:icon_bigg : http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtcQ5fperformance

The 45mm Full Color Omori boost gauge available from J-Spec Tuning has a control box with rheostats to control Red Green Blue LEDS in the gauge. You can change the color and intensity at will to just about anything.

Here's a picture of mine (excuse the shakes as it was really dark). Being a pilot, I really like red as it doesn't affect my night vision. I had to turn up the brightness on everything to get anything that resembled a picture.

http://www.sonic.net/zinfreak/images/DSCN0921.JPG

I'm working on an install document which should be done by the end of the week. J-Spec doesn't have an install document for the Legacy. However, there is enough information on this site to do it.

Mounting it on the steering column is interesting, but not overly challenging. It is possible to do it without dropping the steering wheel.

The wire loom will impact the column position as getting it into the highest position isn't possible. Not a big deal for me, I like it lower.

Stay tuned and be well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Looks great, although I do need the steering wheel at the highest position. I am 6'2" and I need all the space I can get in the small legacy's pilot seat :) My WRX had more room for my legs then the legacy. Do you think it's possible to cut that black pastic piece a bit so it would fit better above the steering wheel, or maybe get some other material like a softer flater material?

Looks great, although I do need the steering wheel at the highest position. I am 6'2" and I need all the space I can get in the small legacy's pilot seat :) My WRX had more room for my legs then the legacy. Do you think it's possible to cut that black pastic piece a bit so it would fit better above the steering wheel, or maybe get some other material like a softer flater material?

There really isn't much that the loom covers, a vacuum line and a small power & color control cable. With a bit more work you might be able to bore a hole in the top of the steering column and route the wires and vacuum line down through this then along the upper cover in to the dash area. The upper cover doesn't extend too much farther back on the column. Make sure you plan this carefully. It would be pretty easy to butch up the steering column cover.

You can check clearances before hand by removing the lower cover the column. There is a single screw below that holds the bottom on, then squeeze both sides of the lower cover. It will pop off.

The top is held on with two screws. I found by removing the turn indicator stalk it was much easier to work. You'll never get the top cover off with dropping the steering wheel column. This is a bitch and I didn't try it.

With the top loose and the the turn indicator out of my way, I put a small strip of wood under it and was able to drill down through the top with a cordless dremel.

Very easy. I wasn't totally happy with where it ended up, but now that I've lived with it for a couple of weeks, I think it looks sweet.

In retrospect, if I were to do it again, I'd mock it up with double stick tape and driver for a while, then reposition and see where I like it the best.

The hard part for me was positioning the template in exactly the right spot. I think that's what nipped me.

Also, before attacking this, get a hold of a small screw driver (phillips) that works at a 90' angle. With foresight I did and it made the job of tightening up the screws pretty easy, tedious but easy.

Oh and another thing, you can probably bore a hole in the bottom of the plastic gauge pod and route the wire and vacuum line down and out. The gauge is no where near as deep as the pod.

The hardest part of the entire installation is getting the vacuum line through a grommet into the dash area WHERE YOU CAN REACH THE DAMN THING. With foresight again, I bought a device that is flexible and has "magic fingers" on the end to grab things. I poked this through the grommet and routed it (took 20 minutes) into the dash where I could grab the vacuum line and pull it into the engine compartment. Work the line from the inside out to the engine, it will be way easier.

Check out these pic's

Reaching down into the cabin through the firewall grommet behind the IC

http://www.sonic.net/zinfreak/images/DSCN0907.JPG

Pulling the vacuum line up through, the magic fingers ended up popping out on the passenger side...

http://www.sonic.net/zinfreak/images/DSCN0906.JPG

Be well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Archived