LegacyGT.com

Installed rear STi Brembos on my Legacy today.

Mach V Dan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too bad this makes the cars braking even more front biased :(

Ted

Not with EBD. Read the last issue of Sport Compact Car and brake mods on a Scion. They did all the fancy calculations on maintaining proper bias, using different front and rear compound brake pads, etc., then discovered the car had electronic brake bias, which sends the brake force to the wheels that can use it. If the front wheels start to lock and ABS kicks in, the system sends the pressure to the rear wheels so that they do extra work. In your Brake Bias thread, it appears the LGT has EBD. If so, go crazy on your bbk and electronics saves our late braking asses!

Not with EBD. Read the last issue of Sport Compact Car and brake mods on a Scion. They did all the fancy calculations on maintaining proper bias, using different front and rear compound brake pads, etc., then discovered the car had electronic brake bias, which sends the brake force to the wheels that can use it. If the front wheels start to lock and ABS kicks in, the system sends the pressure to the rear wheels so that they do extra work. In your Brake Bias thread, it appears the LGT has EBD. If so, go crazy on your bbk and electronics saves our late braking asses!

A proper mechanical brake bias is always preferrable to electronic aids. You don't want impending lock-up too soon on any axle/wheel. The EBD is still a good thing, but it works better with proper mechanical bias.

The EBD is nice, but it only works once it determines there is slip. Think of it this way. If you give your car with EBD a 90/10 bias, then when you hit the brakes, 90% goes to the front. The car starts to shift A LOT of weight to the front and the rear end gets light. The REALLY heavy front end will not slip because of the amount of weight on it. If it does, it transfers some bias to the rear, but because of the lack of weight over the rear, it can't shift much there before the rear wheels lock also.

Now, make the car 10/90 front bias. You hit the brakes, the 10% to the front is fine, but the rear locks rather quickly with a lot less weight shift. So EBD shifts more to the front until the rear unlocks. And you have all four tires working with a lot less weight shift, so the rears can do more work

Extreme cases, but EBD only works when ABS starts working. 95% of the time ABS is not working, and you have created a braking system that brakes very poorly due to rear wheels that do very little...

Ted

:spin:

What size are the rear rotors?

Same as WRX STi, which is 315x20mm.

Too bad this makes the cars braking even more front biased

It's less than a 1% change, according to your famous brake bias thread.

how much is this rear brembo kit?

You can find it here. I think I'm not supposed to actively sell stuff outside my own forum, so for more questions about buying the kit, go over to this thread.

So are these Subaru Bremobos? I thought these were from a 04 STI. Am I wrong?

They are NOT take-offs from the WRX STi. They ARE the same calipers, with the same size rotors as the WRX STi. But this is a kit made by Brembo. It has proprietary rotors and special caliper brackets. So to reiterate, you CANNOT take the rear brakes directly off a WRX STi and put them on your WRX. The rotors won't work with your parking brake, and you won't be able to bolt on the caliper.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

Dan,

I apologize, I did not want this to get dragged the direction it did, I can edit if need be, just let me know... :(

I was simply stating that I am sad the Brembo set-up didn't change something that I want it too, I wish the calipers were black also! :D

Ted

:spin:

• 2 weeks later...
Fitted mine today as well using genuine Brembo adapters no mucking around at all just bolt straight on.....Just for the record the Brembo adapters were sourced from Brembo in the USA

Dan, this guy says his rear brembos bolted straight on with adapters (Aussie). Is it a different rear setup than on US LGT? I'd like the rear kit as well as the front if less expensive and if didn't have to take off rear dust shield. Makes me nervous.

Dan, this guy says his rear brembos bolted straight on with adapters (Aussie). Is it a different rear setup than on US LGT? I'd like the rear kit as well as the front if less expensive and if didn't have to take off rear dust shield. Makes me nervous.

Many others have tried to get adapters from Brembo USA, and they won't release them a la carte. Perhaps he had an easier time since he was outside the U.S.

There's no way you're going to get a larger rotor on without removing or seriously bending the factory splash shield.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

Dan, why is this rear kit more expensive than the front kit, which I'm sure costs far more to produce by far? Rotora's 2 piston rear bbk is less money than the 4 piston front setup. Makes sense to me.

Brembo gave us favorable pricing on the front kit, but not the back. I don't know the reasoning, but I would guess it had to do with stock levels.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

did any mention how the caliper seems to be mounted upside down on the install?

Yes, that got covered in another thread. You'll also notice my stock caliper is still hanging on there behind the Brembo one. We basically just mocked them up for pictures and fit check, then removed it all...

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

Archived