LegacyGT.com

2007 Tribeca engine

Skolnick

One 2007 first look reports an engine with 245 HP and 215 ft/lb of torque.

That is a loss of 5 HP and 4 lbs of torque. It is possible to use a different method to calculate HP, but not torque; if the report is accurate, then the engine will be slightly de-tuned. The only reason I can figure why they are de-tuning the 3.0L six is to run it on regular gasoline or to get better mileage.

Does anyone know the real scoop?

I'm almost certain it's due to the new calculations.

Didn't I read here that the Legacy is now rated at 243HP due to the same system? They didn't mess with the tuning on that car.

One 2007 first look reports an engine with 245 HP and 215 ft/lb of torque.

That is a loss of 5 HP and 4 lbs of torque. It is possible to use a different method to calculate HP, but not torque; if the report is accurate, then the engine will be slightly de-tuned. The only reason I can figure why they are de-tuning the 3.0L six is to run it on regular gasoline or to get better mileage.

Does anyone know the real scoop?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32426

Horsepower = (Torque X RPM) / 5252

Please, let this die already.

I keed I keeed

Excuse me while I whip this out....

245HP x 5250 = 1,286,250

1286250 / 6,000prm = 214.375 Ft/lb.

Pretty close, eh? but does it really work if HP and Toruqe are measured at different RPM?

HP was measured at 6,000 Torque if I remember right was measured at 3500(?) not really sure.

Excuse me while I whip this out....

245HP x 5250 = 1,286,250

1286250 / 6,000prm = 214.375 Ft/lb.

Pretty close, eh? but does it really work if HP and Torque are measured at different RPM?

HP was measured at 6,000 Torque if I remember right was measured at 3500(?) not really sure.

NO, it is circular.

I do not believe torque is determined by function of HP, but by foot/lbs of twist.

Believe what you wish. HP is defined to be the product of torque and angular velocity. The 5252 just adjusts for units of RPM and ft-lbs. Power = force * velocity, whether it is angular or linear.

Believe what you wish. HP is defined to be the product of torque and angular velocity. The 5252 just adjusts for units of RPM and ft-lbs. Power = force * velocity, whether it is angular or linear.

This is true, but the 2006 engine is rated with 219 ft/lb of torque and the 2007 is rated with 215 ft/lb of torque.

I don't meant to get in a pissing contest, but either the 2006 engine could lift 219 lbs 12 inches from center, or it could not. If it could lift 219 lbs, then what changed in 2007? If it could not lift 219 lbs 12 inches from center, then why was it rated as having that much torque?

I think you just hit it on the head, while there is only One way to define torque to horsepower, there are several ways to measure horsepower.

Do we measure at the crank? - The 'Horsepower Wars' of the 60's & 70's comes to mind

Do we run a bare engine; no A/C loses, no power steering, no alternator?

Do we measure at the driveshaft after accessories and transmission losses?

Do we measure at the wheel? ( Well that Would be the most accurate and modern way, wouldn't it?)

The new SAE ratings hurt some cars ratings and helped others, thus why you have a higher tq rating, the corvette actually ended up with a boost in HP rating due to the new system
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived