LegacyGT.com

Need some opinions on a few wheel brands...

Max Rebo

I've considered selling my stock spec.B wheels (in another thread) and I'm considering both 17" and 18" wheels as replacements just so I can use a tire size that is more common and so I'll have a greater selection. 17's will be cheaper and will look good. 18's are generally more expensive, and look a bit better, but some roads near me are awful... Hence my reason for also looking at 17's.

What can you tell me about the following brands with respect to durability?

1) Gram Lights (Rays)

2) Rota

There are several Rota wheels available, though I don't know about fitment for the LGT yet. The Gram Lights wheel I'm considering is the 57S @ TireRack. Either 17x7.5 or 18x7.5.

I'm also considering the SSR GT7-H (18x8) and the OZ Ultraleggera (17x8 or 18x8). I'm already familiar with SSR and OZ, so no need to discuss those. I do like the old Superleggera better, but for the LGT, the UL doesn't look too bad. It looked like poo on my VW R32, though. The SSR GT7 is pretty much identical to the Speedline-manufactured Prodrive PFF7 wheel.

TIA.

Isn't everyone supposed to be wasting time on the internet? :lol:

Anyway... I think I'm leaning toward 17x8 OZ Ultraleggera. I'm diggin' how it looks on the LGT sedan. Plus, it'll save me a bit of money because I can use my existing Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires that are on my SSRs in the garage.

Info on Gram Lights and Rota is still appreciated, though.

Still thinking... :)

rays and rota are both great brands...i lean towards rays (anything forged), nice and lite without sacrificing durability. if you wind up sellin your stockies, please pm me with $$.

thx. - Dennis

ps - if you check out the official aftermarket wheel thread...you will find planty of stuff on all of the above - good luck!

Guest *Jedimaster*
i thought you said you had nothing else to say?:confused: - why u always gotta be stealin' my thunder?

Speak only when spoken to, woman! :lol: J/K

+1 for Subydude.

I say go with the SSR's if you have the scratch. I like the Gram Light 57 C's (18 X 7.5) but then Xenonk posted some pics of a cracked one (bad pothole damage), so it turned me off. I'm now thinking of getting Rota Torques (18's), but what I really want are the SSR's lol. Unfortunately they're a bit too expensive for my budget plans.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

peterjmc, thanks for the support!

Max Rebo, I like the spendy wheels plenty, but when you can get a whole SET of perfectly good-looking wheels for the price of ONE mega-buck forged rim, I always find it hard to justify the expensive ones.

So I roll on the Rotas.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/danhurwitz/Legacy/Behind-building-cropped-wee.jpg

Rota Formula Mesh

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

I appreciate the info, guys!

Someone PM'd me about trading (maybe selling) his Rota SDRs (Prodrive GC07 replicas), which also happen to be the same as SSR GT7s. I'm trying to find a pic of these on any LGT sedan so I can get a better idea.

Rays/Volks are a bit pricey for me... IIRC, they're even more than SSRs, which recently went up in price due to their bankruptcy. They're back in business now, but prices jumped +$100. :( TireRack still has some relatively cheaper closeouts on the GT7s.

I also kinda like the OZ Ultraleggera, but I can't decide if the spokes are *too* thin. Tough call... OZ's have always been a good choice in my book.

I'll check out the vendor sites a few posts above, too.

EDIT: Checked out MachV's site... Dig it. :)

I'm liking the Rota Group A and Rota Torque wheels. The Group A's are similar to the OE wheel, but I'd go for 17x7.5.

I'd like to find a pic of someone's LGT with Torque wheels. I think I saw one earlier. Gotta go look...

I also like the Boost wheels -- similar to my old SSR Comps.

Got a question... for those who have seen different wheel finishes from Rota in person, what would be the closest match to the finish on the spec.B OE wheel ... silver or hyper silver?

Regular silver seems closer to me, but then it's difficult to tell from a photo. Hyper silver seems to be a bright satin silver finish as opposed to just a standard painted silver finish.

I think I've decided to go with the Torque wheel... now I gotta decide which finish is best.

Archived