LegacyGT.com

6 spd MT in regular Legacy GT possible?

SaNdSuKkA

i wouldnt want a 6 speed unit. the 5 speed unit is a workhorse for subaru, if it isnt broke dont fix it i suppose. If anything i dont want to shift as much.

Except for at least 2 major reasons. 1) Its an ancient design, the 6MT is way nicer gearbox in terms of feel and performance, 2) The 6MT can hold way more power than the 5MT, so if you ever intended to tune the crap out a spec B its going to be a lot easier and a bit cheaper since you won't have to mess with the trans much if at all.

No! at least not for this generation's GT. let's not discuss the technical possibility of 6sp tranny and LSD...car is a marketing product, Subaru is trying to step into premium brand recently. A 6sp spec B and close to 300 hp seems to a perfect weapon to target the 30K - 35K sports sedan sector, but 35K Subies still need some "inflation time" for buyer to dive in. In the meantime, by pushing out some fancy name "STI" and "Spec B" is absolutely an great idea to lure people who wish to pay for the brand...

']EPA and CARB type-certifications are for a particular model's year/engine/transmission combination. I doubt that expected 2007 Legacy GT spec.B sales' date=' alone, would justfiy the expense. I rate the likelihood that non-spec.B 2007 Legacy GTs and Outback XTs will have a 6-sp MT option to be VERY high.[/quote']

From what you are saying, I'm assuming you mean that it is cheaper to just certify one combination, in this case the 2.5L/6MT rather than a whole slew. I'm wondering if it matters at all that the 2.5L/5MT has already been certified (i.e. in 2006)?

• 4 weeks later...

spec b is trim level now just like the STI.

No limited number?

More than 500?

Make however many they can sell?

Looks like the 06 Spec b has some value for being the FIRST and ONLY numbered spec b models...

hmm....

Plus I thought the following quote was probaby.....

"

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaNdSuKkA

well that's no fun. I mean the Legacy GT is fine I guess with a 5spd but it would be nice to cruise at highway speeds at a little lower RPM's and maybe pick up some top-end speed. Ah, well, I guess I'll save my money for a spec B or maybe just pick myself up an '06 GT and spend that extra cash on mods so that I can blow a spec B out of the water..yes? :icon_bigg

If that's what you want the 6spd for, you are wasting your money! The 6spd is only saving 100 rpm in cruising, you can make this up with 225/45/17 tire upgrade. The way Subaru designed the 6spd, is they added the extra gear between gears 1-4. If anything, the 5spd is a much better combo for a trq rich motor like ours.

The only alure of the 6spd, for me, is that it is significantly stronger! Otherwise, I wouldn't even give it a 2nd look, as the gear spacing is all wrong for anything but rally or short course work..."

one of the best comments I've seen today. I try to tell people all the time but everyone thinks a 6spd is better.

If it wasn't for the fact that i believe it probably is much stronger I'd almost prefer a 5spd. If you could get better gas mileage and it was stronger I'd love it. I will be waiting patiently to hear about swapping the new 6speed into an 06. Especially after I eat mine up!

I drive so many miles that a big OVER-DRIVE gear that would drop my RPM down when cruising at 75 would do great things.

What about the standars for SAE and fuel mileage, and alternative fuels.. won't cars be foced to use less gass and have less power.

I'm liking my 06 better every day.

In addition.. pretty soon all new cars will have built in tracking devices so that law enforcement will be able to look online and see where you are at and how fast you are going.

If you really look at the big picture, the Spec B *is* a GT with a 6-speed. For better or worse, it's not really that drastically different. Same motor, same basic car. So if you really want the 6-speed, you just should get the Spec B.

I think the real question was, will there be a GT with the 6-speed for the price of a stripper GT 5-speed? That answer is no, it costs quite a bit for Subaru to make that 6-speed.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com | http://www.scoobymag.com | http://www.sevenphotos.com

Archived