LegacyGT.com

When does the need for HP end?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend in the SC Highway Patrol. He readily admitted that the speed limits are chosen to accomodate the skills of the worst (or least-capable) drivers on the road. They're catering to the lowest common denominator. When the US interstate highway system was first proposed, it mandated that the curves, inclines, and other features be designed to accomodate 90 mph traffic. However, they have never allowed speeds that high. The highest I can remember was 70, although I heard some western states had "unlimited" speeds for a while, based on what they said a given responsible individual would consider "safe and prudent" for the weather conditions and time of day.

The History Channel ran an hour-long episode of Modern Marvels about the German autobahn. It was quite interesting. If a section of pavement (which is MUCH thicker than anything in the US) develops a crack, which isn't often, they don't squirt black caulk in it like they do in New England. They dig up and replace the entire section!

I wish I owned stock in the company that makes the black caulk! :lol:

its been proven by our OWN government that if you go slower than the flow of traffic you are more likely to get in an accident ...

Thats the big problem where I live in Canada. Its not so much people that drive really fast (except for stupid weaving kids) so much as it is the IDIOTS who drive below 60mph in the LEFT lane on the highway when people in the middle and right lanes are going as fast or worse, faster. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

They almost have this self-righteous attitude, that or they just dont have a clue. Hell I dont care if im travelling 120 mph in the left lane, if some porsche turbo (or loser in a cavalier) wants to go much faster than me, I move over, then I move back, so simple, so effective.

Rocket launchers FTW!

As for the *crazy* hp numbers these days, we are merely having an automotive renaissance, like the muscle car days. Especially after the mostly dull 80's and expensive-exclusive hp of the 90s.

Now any kid with 15k can be teh fa$tAR!!1!!

I dont think in the current state of affairs we could offer an unlimited highway ... i think we could offer a 100 MPH speed limit to those who qualify though ... i think what we could do is use a system, the electronic transmitter, but there wouldnt be highway camera's, when old smoky takes your picture (if you arnt familiar, thats highway patrol men, taking speeds) an electronic signal comes back to his car, and shows you are certified for those speeds.
I love my car ... basically.

I found the following info on Wikipedia:

85th percentile rule

In the United States, traffic engineers rely on the 85th percentile speed to establish speed limits. They note that traffic laws that reflect the behavior of the majority of motorists are found to be successful, while laws that arbitrarily restrict the majority of motorists encourage violations, lack public support and usually fail to bring about desirable changes in driving behavior.

The idea is that the speed limit should be set to the speed that separates the bottom 85% of vehicle speeds from the top 15%. The 85th percentile closely corresponds to one standard deviation above the mean of a normal distribution.

Traffic engineers observe that the majority of drivers drive in a safe and reasonable manner as demonstrated by consistently favorable driving records. The 85th percentile speed is how drivers "vote with their feet." Studies have shown crash rates are lowest at around the 85th percentile. Vehicles traveling over the 85th percentile speed (or faster than the flow of traffic) have a higher crash risk than vehicles traveling around or modestly below the 85th percentile speed.

Most U.S. jurisdications report using the 85th percentile speed as the basis for their speed limits, so the 85th percentile speed and speed limits should be closely matched. However, a review of available speed studies demonstrates that the posted speed limit is almost always set below the 85th percentile speed by as much as 8 to 12 mph.

Yeah, right. Most jurisdictions follow this formula..... :lol:

If that were true, the posted speed limit on I-285 around Atlanta would be around 85 mph!

You never just throw in your two cents you usually throw in a buck fitty...:lol:

<-- couldn't resist

I second that.....150 cents.:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

Archived