LegacyGT.com

17" or 18"???

TLOVE

If you go to 18s you will have a lot heavier wheels unless you spend the BIG $$$$. Take one of your OEM wheels off and weigh it accurately (With the tire on) and then start doing your research at sites like Tirerack.com and see what a set of 18s are going to cost to get anywhere near the same weight overall. :(

That is unless you don't mind running a bunch more "Unsprung weight"???

That is not always true stock wheels are about 21lbs I have 19"x7.5" that are 20.5lbs. The are arospeed wheel and are not ultra high-end wheels. I got them with tires used for $950. Always check the weight.

143207(1).thumb.JPG.635012e213eb7a5afbf27203db7e4fa3.JPG

143326(1).thumb.JPG.e518782d2c2ec710692084c8215c3d90.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Hi itsme....I think you had better weigh those OEM wheels again :( I have mine sitting in my shop and they weigh 15.5lbs without tires on them. If you don't have them "Unmounted" just weigh the rim and tire together and then do the same with you 19s (Which, I must say look very kewl) A little more or less "Unsprung weight" doesn't mean much on a street car but anything more than 3-4 pounds becomes noticeable :(:(

You're in Canada are sure that's not in kilos:lol: ? Also how do you guy get anywhere with low speed limits?:) I thought I was going to die doing only 80 kph (@50 mph) al the way to Vancover,BC.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

cool. I guess the Toyo tires are cheaper, I just don't see them on tirerack at all.

I am thinking of getting F1 GS-D3 225x45x17 for 17x7.5

Tire Rack doesnt carry:

Hankook

Toyo / Nitto

Falken

which all have some really good tires that these companies offer.

Keefe

This is NOT "Rocket Science" .....take one of your OEM wheels and tires off your car and weight it :) Subtract the weight of the tire...if you still have your RE92s on....subtract 23 lbs. If you have something else on for tires, look them up at www.tirerack.com in the "Specs" area and do the math. According to the tech guys at my dealership all OEM Subaru mags are actually Enkeis....no wonder they are so light and well made!!! :):)

Why pay close to $30K for a car and then be a cheapskate? I ask myself why I was paying $319.00 a wheel, but then I mounted my ol' Nitto Neo Gens (125.00 each) and put them on, and I'm glad I splurged. IMHO wheels make or break a car. But that's my own opinion. :)

not being a cheapskate.. rather our wallet can stretch a little bit more by buying more rims and tires for our uses ;)

I dont mind running my 17" tires hard and just pay $500 for a set of tires instead of paying near $800 for set of 18"... so for $200 more (2x $500) I can get twice as much of a tire life than I would on 1 set of 18" costing me $800. Makes sense?

Or you can think of it this way: $500 on tires and another $200~$300 on brake stuff (they pretty much go together in terms of wear).

Keefe

Looks were just the obvious advantage. Heat dissappation, ease of cleaning inner rim, less rollover on sidewall when cuttin' curves up. Just some advantages for an 18's IMO. No one in there right mind can convince me that a 17" with same rolling diameter as stock will hug curve as snugly as 18's. Too much sidewall to break away. I also had a 2000 RS 2.5 with 18's too, no problems there either. And opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one. So when it's all said and done, get what rims please you. :argue:

Get a tire with stiffer sidewall, get a matching width with of the tire and the rim and I just eliminated your 18" concept of "sharper handling". You know, you could get something like a 17x8.5 wheel with a 245/40/17 and it would probably out-run your 18x7.5 with a 225/40/17... there's at a point where you wont be able to compare the same rolling diameter (especially when you isolate to using the same tire brand and model and same wheel model). Not to mention that it's pointless to have a rim/tire setup to be that stiff when the rain hits the ground and you should have a softer setup or when the winter starts to come by.. some people here dont have the full luxury to wanting to keep their stock wheels and sell them off to get some 18".. storage space will be an issue (btw, you are talking to a guy that had over 12 sets of rims and 15 sets of tires in the garage).

I dont know about running ultralight weight 18" wheels on the RS (because I race one myself and I even stuck to 17" to keep a fair amount of weight down while still use a taller tire to get more mph per gear).

I'll readjust your comment:

Buy rims that fits your needs, either show, race, rally (snow or gravel) street, or drag.. everyone has their needs and wants so you must decide on what you can sacrifice in order for you to make room for what pleases your wants. So to clearify the thread's question:

Which is better for (fill in the blank of the situation you wish to use these rims will be used), 17", 18", 19", or 20" rims?

Keefe

wait, wait, now i'm all concerned. I've been looking at a set of 18x8 OZ ultraleggeras for summer, but if they weigh more than the stockers, I would prefer the 17s!!

How much do the stockers weigh?!!?

the stock wheel and tire should weigh just over 42 lbs.. (I believe the tire was 21 lbs for a 215/45/17 Potenza RE92).. so the rim should weigh anywhere from 20 to 21 lbs (give or take a lb from the scale).

Stock WRX rims at 16x6.5 with a 205/55/16 RE92 is 37lbs.. so yes, I can believe that a 17x7 OEM Subaru wheel being slightly heavier.

i dont know where the 15.5 came from.. it should be at least a typo with the keypad and being 18.5 instead of 15.5.. even wtih a rounding up error, it comes out to be 19 lbs.

Btw, I dont use mailing scales or bathroom scales to weigh my parts, I use my corner balancing scales (which has a tolerance error of 1%)..

Keefe

This is NOT "Rocket Science" .....take one of your OEM wheels and tires off your car and weight it :) Subtract the weight of the tire...if you still have your RE92s on....subtract 23 lbs. If you have something else on for tires, look them up at www.tirerack.com in the "Specs" area and do the math. According to the tech guys at my dealership all OEM Subaru mags are actually Enkeis....no wonder they are so light and well made!!! :):)

I dont know where you get your info from, but the term "Mag" means Magnesium.. and no, our rims are not made of that (of all the rims that I remember coming on a Subaru Production car, only the NEW STi Limiteds will have the Enkei wheels.. 2ndly, not all rims were made by Enkei (BBS ring a bell?).. in fact I believe the USDM rim was made in the USA (cast aluminum alloy for that matter), obviously not from Enkei of Japan.. the style of the rim may be influenced by Enkei but certainly NOT made by Enkei's factory.

You may want to find out what your OVERALL weight is for your rim AND tire (because you are missing that information from your argument). We can all agree that the RE92 in that size weigh from 21 to 23 lbs.. but from what I know, the TOTAL weight of the rim and tire is around 42 lbs, so the math comes out to be at least a 19 lbs rim to 21 lbs rim.

Keefe

Jeese Xenonk....take a breath...."Mag" is a generic term for alloy wheel.....you know like Kleenex means tissue etc etc......???

My OEM "Mags" and RE92s weighted 37 lbs...weighed on a scale that I believe to be accurate to within 1 lb....when they were still mounted.......weighed alone (No tire) they weigh just over 15.5 lbs....same scale. My only test of the scale is that I weighed a stack of "Weight lifting" weights and no matter what combination I try, the weight is within a pound of the marked weights if they are all combined.:lol:

Maybe we should start a new thread called "Pissing match over scale accuracy":confused:

The point is "Most" large diameter aftermarket wheels are heavier that Subaru OEM wheels....no matter what you weigh them on.:icon_bigg

BTW....In Canada Sti's come with BBS wheels stock and according to the tech guys at my dealeship the rest of the OEM "Mags" are manufactured for Subaru by Enkei in Japan.......but really who cares???

Get a tire with stiffer sidewall, get a matching width with of the tire and the rim and I just eliminated your 18" concept of "sharper handling". You know, you could get something like a 17x8.5 wheel with a 245/40/17 and it would probably out-run your 18x7.5 with a 225/40/17... there's at a point where you wont be able to compare the same rolling diameter (especially when you isolate to using the same tire brand and model and same wheel model). Not to mention that it's pointless to have a rim/tire setup to be that stiff when the rain hits the ground and you should have a softer setup or when the winter starts to come by.. some people here dont have the full luxury to wanting to keep their stock wheels and sell them off to get some 18".. storage space will be an issue (btw, you are talking to a guy that had over 12 sets of rims and 15 sets of tires in the garage).

I dont know about running ultralight weight 18" wheels on the RS (because I race one myself and I even stuck to 17" to keep a fair amount of weight down while still use a taller tire to get more mph per gear).

I'll readjust your comment:

Buy rims that fits your needs, either show, race, rally (snow or gravel) street, or drag.. everyone has their needs and wants so you must decide on what you can sacrifice in order for you to make room for what pleases your wants. So to clearify the thread's question:

Which is better for (fill in the blank of the situation you wish to use these rims will be used), 17", 18", 19", or 20" rims?

:argue:

Like Scooby meant to say......Don't be a D13K Xenonk! Who cares about corner balancing scales and whether the term "mag" is used differently by different people?? The man wanted input on this thread about opinions of wheels. And all he is gettin is a pissing contest. And for the record the crappy stockers are Cast in Indianapolis by Amcast wheel casting plant. No (ENKEI) I've worked on machines in that specific plant, but that's about as relevant to this post as the term "mag" being used in a manner that doesn't suit some people. And for the record, that crappy plant filed bankruptcy and is closing due to there main customer GM reporting such large losses. So who knows where they will come from in future. Basically it boils down to researchin' yourself and gettin what you suits you best. Mine's daily driven has ample power to turn 18's nicely, I've yet to stall out at redlight due to unsprung weight of my wheels and I doubt that anyone ever will. :icon_evil

I thought the stockers weighed 19 pounds w/o tires. I'm fairly certain I read that on this site somewhere .. am I wrong?

Did anyone else find this funny? Not a flame against you Dagwood, but this is such a telling commentary on our web-influenced generation.

"That CAN'T be true! I read it on the INTERNET!!"

And Tund and Scooby, Xenonk could have easily just ignored this thread, or put up the all-knowing 'Use the search button.' Instead, he's contributed quite a bit to the site, as we all know. Give the man some slack.

Did anyone else find this funny? Not a flame against you Dagwood, but this is such a telling commentary on our web-influenced generation.

"That CAN'T be true! I read it on the INTERNET!!"

And Tund and Scooby, Xenonk could have easily just ignored this thread, or put up the all-knowing 'Use the search button.' Instead, he's contributed quite a bit to the site, as we all know. Give the man some slack.

And was also a butt-head in process. But who really cares? No beef here, just callin' like I see it.

Archived