LegacyGT.com

17" or 18"???

TLOVE

I've been debating about which size of rim to get. What are the pros and cons of 17"s compared to 18"s? Right now i just have the stock silver and gold 16"s (which i plan to keep for winter use). Also, what colors work well with Rio Red? i am thinking gunmetal, but i really have no idea what it would look like.:iam:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

well ye, but do you recommend something like 17x7.5 for daily driving and a 225x45x17 tire or is 18" better?

17" or 18" is acceptable for 05 and 06 since they use a larger tire overall than the older chassis Legacy.

well ye, but do you recommend something like 17x7.5 for daily driving and a 225x45x17 tire or is 18" better?

17", just because you have tires that have a taller sidewall to cushion some of the potholes.. based on the plus sizing system, common 18" tires will have a slightly shorter sidewall.

Keefe

what tires/sizes would you recommend for 17x7.5 rim for daily driving/street for dry/wet? price doesn't matter

17", just because you have tires that have a taller sidewall to cushion some of the potholes.. based on the plus sizing system, common 18" tires will have a slightly shorter sidewall.

Here you go:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

I typed it all out for everyone to look over, but here's the cliffnotes of what you are looking for:

17 in. rims:

205/40/17 (only for SUPER FAST acceleration and torque; for autocrossing only, do not use for daily driving)

205/45/17 (only for FAST acceleration and torque; for autocrossing only , do not use for daily driving)

205/50/17 (good for snow rally)

215/45/17 (stock)

225/45/17 (good autocross performance tire size for gearing, more mph per gear)

235/40/17 (good autocross performance tire size for torque, more acceleration)

245/40/17 (good autocross performance tire size for traction, will need to have a flatter alignment to make use of the grip)

255/40/17 (maximum grip, good for track days, will need a 9" rim to make use of the contact patch and a good alignment as well).

As for the type of tire, you can do a search on that.. I normally run whatever that the autocross guys run for street tires.. they are fairly cheap, handle just as well as some of the more expensive tires, and wear just as long..

There is a difference in tread design that will help or hurt you in the rain or standing water.. most summer tires are just good in the dry.. some even get better when the tires are warmed up.

Just search around, there's plenty of tires to choose from that people recommend here on the boards.

My choices are:

Toyo T1-R

Falken Azenis RT-615s

Hankook Ventus Z212s

Yokohama Advan Neova (AD07s)

Kumho MX

Keefe

I prefer 18's cuz it just looks better to my eyes to have a bit more wheel and a tad less rubber. I don't race very often so it don't matter to me from that aspect. I kept the same rolling diameter(almost).

AP Stage II, Crucial Racing Uppipe, Stromung DP, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Piaa FR-S Wheels, Nitto Neo-Gens.

DSC03402.JPG.dd8ee895a7374e4ef592fea9fdeb1ccf.JPG

I'd choose 17"s for simpler reasons.

1. Tires will be cheaper.

2. Rims will probably be cheaper.

3. In general, 17"s will be ligher than 18" thus reducing unsprung weight.

Why pay close to $30K for a car and then be a cheapskate? I ask myself why I was paying $319.00 a wheel, but then I mounted my ol' Nitto Neo Gens (125.00 each) and put them on, and I'm glad I splurged. IMHO wheels make or break a car. But that's my own opinion. :)

Why pay close to $30K for a car and then be a cheapskate?

Just because your using 17"s doen't mean your being cheap . I was just listing some advantages for using 17"s. Even if your only concern was performance than 17" would still be a better option in my opinion. (especially for a 99 GT) I put 17"s on my LGT and I don't regret it for 1 second. They are lighter and wider than the stock wheels.

If looks is of more importance to you then,okay, go with 18"s.

Just because your using 17"s doen't mean your being cheap . I was just listing some advantages for using 17"s. Even if your only concern was performance than 17" would still be a better option in my opinion. (especially for a 99 GT) I put 17"s on my LGT and I don't regret it for 1 second. They are lighter and wider than the stock wheels.

If looks is of more importance to you then,okay, go with 18"s.

Looks were just the obvious advantage. Heat dissappation, ease of cleaning inner rim, less rollover on sidewall when cuttin' curves up. Just some advantages for an 18's IMO. No one in there right mind can convince me that a 17" with same rolling diameter as stock will hug curve as snugly as 18's. Too much sidewall to break away. I also had a 2000 RS 2.5 with 18's too, no problems there either. And opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one. So when it's all said and done, get what rims please you. :argue:

ye man, did you know that some racing 17" are a lot more expensive than 18" lol

Looks were just the obvious advantage. Heat dissappation, ease of cleaning inner rim, less rollover on sidewall when cuttin' curves up. Just some advantages for an 18's IMO. No one in there right mind can convince me that a 17" with same rolling diameter as stock will hug curve as snugly as 18's. Too much sidewall to break away. I also had a 2000 RS 2.5 with 18's too, no problems there either. And opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one. So when it's all said and done, get what rims please you. :argue:

:lol:

ye man, did you know that some racing 17" are a lot more expensive than 18" lol

No.....really. Your kiddin' right? Thank god there's no shortage's on fellow smartasses.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you go to 18s you will have a lot heavier wheels unless you spend the BIG $$$$. Take one of your OEM wheels off and weigh it accurately (With the tire on) and then start doing your research at sites like Tirerack.com and see what a set of 18s are going to cost to get anywhere near the same weight overall. :(

That is unless you don't mind running a bunch more "Unsprung weight"???

hey, it took 2 replies from you. who is the smartass now? lol

:lol:

No.....really. Your kiddin' right? Thank god there's no shortage's on fellow smartasses.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived