LegacyGT.com

Oct 87 in fuel tank help

I loaned my GT to a friend over last weekend. When he returned my car, he told me he had put a full tank of 87 octane gas in :icon_surp

The after driving around for about 50 miles, the engine now sputters badly as I accelerate. This stuttering never happened before. Is this permanent?

I still have 3/4 tank of this low grade fuel. Do I fill it up with 91 now, or drive around till the tank is empty?

Picture Gallery

Go hit the auto parts store and get the strongest octane booster you can lay your hands on. Put two of them in the tank, and you should bring the octane up. Then drive over to your friend's house and kick him in the balls for being a dumb-ass.

OH NOOOOOOOO... just kidding... It's not permanent. Don't drive too aggressively on boost for 1//4-1/2 tank, then add the highest octane you can as soon as you can to fill the tank. Yeah, you can add a booster too.

Don't use octane booster!!! the stuff is crap. It's not labeled in the same octane units as pump gas. When an octane booster says it raises octane by 3 points, that would be equivalent to 0.3 pump octane points.

If you have an AP, flash back to stock. Don't drive around like an asshat, take it easy while the cheap gas is in the tank.

Use up the gas in the tank. Fill it halfway with premium. Once that is gone, fill up like you normally would.

At this point the ECU is in full retard. You can either drive around normally and let it relearn or you can reset the ECU and jump start the process by a couple hundred miles.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

You could always do the home-brew race gas thing and just spike your tank with Toluene. Toluene is ~103.5 octane, so you can do the math to figure out what it would take to get your current tank to 91. I wouldn't recommend more than a 25% total Toluene percentage in the tank, though (which IIRC is the standard percentage of Toluene in normal 100 octane race fuel that everyone purchases at the track).

Do some searches on Toluene and race gas if/until you are comfortable with that solution.

Most likely the hesitation you feel is the knock sensor pulling timing to protect the engine (at least that's what Honda engines that require premium do). I would agree with the previous posts of driving the engine easy (take that long highway trip you've always wanted to) and filling up with the highest octane you can get at the local pump. I don't think you'll see much of a benefit from parts store octane booster but I would avoid alternative fuels as they can damange oxygen sensors and cats.

http://pictars.com/users/rallispec/87.jpg

:iam:

you'll be fine. most of these cars come with 87 octane from the dealership.

I was thinking about this too...I too, doubt that dealers will actually fill up with 91 octane (CA premium)...funny how much we trust dealers/service depts :lol:

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Archived