LegacyGT.com

how to: "tap turn" signals

scottmcphee

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine has a quirk with just the left circuit. Sometimes it will reactivate, usually on auto cancel. Im inclined to believe its the stalk itself being more lazy on the left side than the right and allowing it to bounce back.

Mine has a quirk with just the left circuit. Sometimes it will reactivate, usually on auto cancel. Im inclined to believe its the stalk itself being more lazy on the left side than the right and allowing it to bounce back.

Yup, sounds about right diagnostic. These stalks wobble quite a bit when self cancelling but you can increase the debounce time by cranking up that 500K resistor and/or increasing the capacitor at the pin as well. It's a balancing act, because the more debounce you allow the longer of a tap you have to do to trigger the circuit yourself (by hand) when you want a tap turn. Getting up to around 1/10 of a second you'll start to notice that's a pretty deliberate tap.

Scott

Decided it's actually cheaper to just order new parts ($3 in parts) and start from scratch rather then send it to you for troubleshooting.

Actually, shipping on the new parts is more expensive then the parts.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Got the new parts....apparently if you are off on the part number by a little, you end up with this.....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/mwiener2/IMG_1177.jpg

after an hour dicking around with that, I went back to the original one and got it working again....we'll see if it stays working.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Scott - Just got mine installed this evening. Great product! Thanks!

Got mine installed together with Shawn and they work great. Thanks. I highly recommend this mod to anyone interested, but hesitant. Well worth the $$$!!!

• 5 months later...

mine does the same thing... I thought it was the tap turn module, so i rebuilt it, and it still did it. So after poking around a lot, I found out that it is in fact the signal stalk. It tends to bounce past off, hit right...but not long enough to trigger the tap to turn, then hit left again long enough to trigger the tap to turn.

nothing you can do about it.. maybe make the on delay longer on the module....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 1 year later...
Taking the idea a little further.. .I wonder what if your high stop lamp (center mount) was three-color. Green when you're on the accelerator... yellow (or maybe just OFF) when foot is off both pedals.. and red is foot on the brake pedal..

Scott

I actually had the idea of a front brake light, a yellow light behind the rear view mirror, so at a light you can tell if the car behind you is braking

I don't like the idea of a progressive rear brake light, I often just make the light come on to wake up the person behind me, needs to be as bright as possible from the first inclination of braking

just read you can't use the remote for anything, I would love to make the trunk release to roll down all my windows, a must in the summer in florida :shakes fist at global warming: :)

• 1 year later...

by the way - to get at the flasher module: drop the kick panel under the dash, open the fuse flap by your knee, there is a relay pack (full of blue cubes) snapped to the side of the fuse panel, reaching in through the fuse access press the two tabs and slide the relay pack forward (toward the driver). You have to kind of "twist" the last bit away from the panel then the relay pack drops down. It's kinda packed in there tight. The denso flasher module is clipped on the top of this relay pack. Insert a slim tool under the flasher module tab from the back (connector side) and then it slides off the pack.. Undo the connector and you've got the module in your hand. I pulled the module apart, you can see what's inside. It's got a custom microcontroller for gosh sakes!

BUMP for good info!

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Scott,

What a great job working out the electronics for this project. I have a slightly different need which you may be able to help me with. Sometimes when I put my turn signal on the stalk does not cancel it because I may not have gone far enough into a turn to cause the stalk to mechanically cancel. Thus you end up with a turn signal constantly blinking and you are not aware of it because the relay click is not always heard over the audio of the radio. How about a circuit that would allow about 3 min. of turn signal and then if it hasn't been cancelled by then it would give an audio signal (chime, bell, sonolert) loud enough to be heard and you can then manually return the stalk to neutral. I would think a one shot triggering a 3min timer which would allow you to keep the signal on while waiting for a traffic light would work. I've seen many drivers go for miles without being aware that one of their blinkers is still blinking. What do you think? Is this possible? Please let me know.

gas711@cox.net

gas711, I think the problem would be there is no "right" time to automatically cancel a forgotten signal. No matter what the time setting, there would always be a situation where it shouldn't have canceled. And that's a safety issue.

You know, there's all this "blind spot detecting" "auto ranging speed adaptive cruise control" "lane wandering video processing" "driver alertness monitoring" ... and where is it going to stop?

My latest car addition to the family is also the oldest car I own, it's a 1987 Mercedes 300D turbo in excellent shape. I love its simplicity. It doesn't even have a cup holder you can use while driving! I don't depend on anything happening without my direct input and nothing will happen without it. I'm in total control and responsible for every aspect of operation while on the road. No yaw & pitch, anti-skid, or anti-slip, tire pressure monitoring, babysitting stuff... Pure. And simple. And still fast.. The car was heavy for its day, sometimes considered a tank, maybe still is, but even by today's standards is still an excellent crash worthy car - no rust to defeat that. The equivalent class Mercedes in 2010 dress is about 900 lbs heavier out of the gate... and not that much quicker for the kind of driving I use it for because of it. And no better on fuel consumption.

Not a fan of all the sticks and props holding people up inside their car, allowing them "to drive better".

I'm not 55, and sometimes I leave my blinker on, like everyone else. When you realize it, cancel it. Or just turn that way to prove your point. You know you have to turn that way sometime in your life so one day it will cancel for you.

Or what if you busted the self-canceling gear thingy off so you have to manually cancel each time, maybe that's a good thing?

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked out your site for this. It says it works for 2005-2008. I just bought a 2009 and would like to pick these up. Is there any chance of getting a set made for a 2009?

PS - A link to your site in your sig would be a huge help. Took my 15 minutes to find the page with the link :-)

• 4 weeks later...
I just checked out your site for this. It says it works for 2005-2008. I just bought a 2009 and would like to pick these up. Is there any chance of getting a set made for a 2009?

PS - A link to your site in your sig would be a huge help. Took my 15 minutes to find the page with the link :-)

I've sold to 2009's that haven't come back, so my guess is the electronics are just the same.

There's seems to be a big break for 2010 in body design, not sure of the electronics for the 'now' generation of larger Leggy's.. but maybe the electronics are all the same in that too.

Cheers!

I updated my 'location' to be the website I operate.

Check on the left in the user information area.

Thanks for the tip.

Also, for the love of life, I cannot find the place in this forum system where I can add/edit a sig file that would automatically be included at the bottom of every post.

Archived