LegacyGT.com

how to: "tap turn" signals

scottmcphee

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've sold to 2009's that haven't come back, so my guess is the electronics are just the same.

There's seems to be a big break for 2010 in body design, not sure of the electronics for the 'now' generation of larger Leggy's.. but maybe the electronics are all the same in that too.

Cheers!

Scott,

Thanks for the info. It seems the only way to buy the tap turn to buy the aux control, so I will have to save up a little more money :) Coming from an A4 both of these features will make me feel right at home again.

• 1 year later...

People with WRX's and STi' s and stuff are always asking "does tap turn work in my car"? The answer is no. Subaru does quite a bit different in the Impreza line of cars in the area of electronics. And signals is one of those areas. Impreza uses surprisingly "traditional" (read: old school) methods of flasher control, regulating pulses on the high side (+12V), rather than what Legacy does controlling on the low side (ground).

Short answer: Impreza (of any flavour), sorry.

• 5 months later...

Some sort of timed relay might work for a tap turn in the pre-2007 Impreza flock.

2007 and up Impreza fits and works fine with TapTurn

The trick would be cutting the relay off early if the signal stalk gets flipped to the other direction, before the tap turn time is up. But there are probably timer relays with cut-off inputs for this purpose. Problem is these get expensive, and you'd need two.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it possible you were dealing with older model Imprezas? According to all of the Impreza FSMs for the 08+, the wiring is exactly the same for the flasher as the 05+ Legacy. Then head over to opposedforces and see the Subaru part number for the flasher in the Legacy is the same for all 08+ Impreza, 09+ Forester and the Tribeca. Interestingly enough the 05-10 Euro version Legacy doesn't share the same flasher, interesting.

Anyways I was just looking for flasher information when using LEDs and happened upon this. I'm the guy who e-mailed you about the Autowindow I have in my 09 WRX, works great! I have a feeling you asked me about the parking light flash for the reason that you thought it was different. I still owe you an e-mail with the wiring stuff, but the parking lights do flash properly when programming the Autowindow features. The 08+ Impreza def uses the same type of flasher.

People with WRX's and STi' s and stuff are always asking "does tap turn work in my car"? The answer is no. Subaru does quite a bit different in the Impreza line of cars in the area of electronics. And signals is one of those areas. Impreza uses surprisingly "traditional" (read: old school) methods of flasher control, regulating pulses on the high side (+12V), rather than what Legacy does controlling on the low side (ground).

OK, wow, learned something new every day even if I'm a couple model years behind. Apparently, the 2009 Impreza uses the same flasher unit as described here. Just realized this when somebody reported an AutoWindow install for 09 Impreza is vastly similar to my 06 Legacy.

And as somebody pointed out this may have started in MY 2008 for Impreza.

SO I retract my statement "any flavour"... it seems Impreza 2008 and up will work with tap turn. Go Subaru!

This also means that AutoWindow Universal Fit (see my storefront www.autowindow.com) will work with the newer Impreza's. Customer supplied the specific wiring color charts and installation advice to go with this car. (Thanks Power6!)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

August 2013 is loyalty month for LegacyGT members who have Tap Turn generation one.

It all started here, probably in this thread shortly after getting my car in 2006 when I started playing around with my flasher to get convenience signaling on a car that didn't have it.

Several people bought - what I'll now call "generation one" Tap Turn - and hooked it up to their flasher to get the one-touch convenience signaling (3 blinks, not programmable). Its origins are described at the beginning of this thread. I sometimes bundled it with another module called RRAP (retained and resumable accessory power), or came as a little white box with 4 wires that vipered onto 4 flasher lines.

Its success and demand prompted me to go further. So I made a new design TapTurn (generation two) which is a whole new game. This is a plug and play replacement flasher that offers a lot more function.

I wanted to do a give-back of sorts to early Tap Turn adopters on this forum... to those who bought generation one: I'm offering a special deal in the month of August 2013 to get the new version out to any member of LegacyGT who bought generation one from me, and wants the newest version. These now sell for $79+shipping... but... (here's the loyalty part)

For $50 + shipping choice, the new TapTurn is yours if you qualify. I don't need the old unit back, just evidence you're an original customer. (I keep all records). Unhook your gen1 wires and do the flasher plug replacement with Tap Turn gen 2 and you'll get these features:

- simple user programmability, 3 to 6 blinks, or OFF completely

- can now cancel a blink series that is in progress by tapping again (same direction)

- handles LED bulbs, you can remove your load resistors if this applies to you

- new hazard modes: wig-wag, and slow motion... and the 3rd hidden mode: slow wig-wag

- software factory reset feature

- all digital, all new microcontroller based with no analog R-C based loosely based timing parameters

- better switch de-bounce that lowers false triggering

- easier install, plug-and-play

Shipping choices are $10 regular airmail (anywhere world), or $16 tracked (N.A. continent only).

PM me to establish your eligibility by submitting some kind of proof. Once that's done, and only after that's done, you'll use PayPal to send the total amount that includes your shipping choice.

Yes, PayPal or e-transfer (just for Canadians) applies for loyalty program too. PayPal currency will be USD$ but e-transfer will be CAD$, that's just the way it is. Doesn't matter to me about exchange rates of the day - just pay in the currency type of the system you're using.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So those ideas came to be:

PARKED LIGHTING FEATURES!

These things are designed to be used when parked.

Directional Park Light - while parked and IGN is off, move signal stalk left or right to illuminate signal bulbs on that side constantly, not blinking. A common Euro feature.. and think about it, uses half the battery power of normal parking lights - and with LED bulbs you can leave it on all night without worry!

Arrival & Departure lighting - after using the remote to lock or unlock your Forester, ALL signal bulbs light up for a period of time. (Timer is adjustable, of course.) Helps you see walking around the vehicle when parked in dark places. These lights go off immediately if you start up, or when the time period has elapsed.

Archived