LegacyGT.com

Almost went for the BMW

SLegacy99

Yes it is true. I almost bought a 325ix today and ditched the LGT. 1990, 84,000 miles, perfect condition. Drawback: crappy AWD system, auto trans, and only 17 mpg. So it was a no go. Nice to think about though. A car that doesnt have problems for no reason.

A car that doesnt have problems for no reason.

BMW? :confused:;)

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I strongly considered the BMW 330, but I'd never go for the sluggish auto trans dog of an X they put out!

Most of the LGT's weaknesses (stutter, excessively soft suspension, body roll, OEM tires) are easily and inexpensively remedies. Not so the Bimmer's.

Yeah I have drove a new 330xi with the auto. Really slow.

As for maintence of a 16 year old, well the mileage is so low im too concerned. My friend is a BMW guru and is currently restoring a 1984 633. But no, it wouldnt make a good daily driver, but then neither does my Legacy.

I cant find a strut bar :icon_neut
Mine might be up for grabs at the end of summer, as I am deciding the future of this car. I will PM you if anything comes off the car and I'll comtinue looking for cheap Strut Tower bars for you also

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

BMWs always have problems for a reason. The reason is that they are German cars and their problems are always for no reason and expensive as hell to fix. Even if you have a good mechanic you still have to bring the parts over. They are just too much trouble to be worth it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Ya, well, I can afford an M3, but I live in a state where weather makes it a bit annoying and impracticle to use as a year round vehicle. After a while, I got tired of taking care of 2 cars (maintenance, registration, etc.), so I opted for the all-in-one LGT 5 MT wagon. Friends of mine own several "show" type cars. They don't mind garaging them in winter, etc., but I don't care for the hassle. If I still lived in San Diego, I'd still be driving BMWs or some other RWD beast, likely. OTOH, another guy I know, after owning an M5 and M3, traded in his BMW for a Spec. B, 'cause he too didn't like the season issue.

In addition, I have a stingy bent, so the relative economy of the LGT appeals to my frugal nature, although I could afford to be extravagant.

Drawback: crappy AWD system

Help me out here. A 325iX has a viscous coupling in the transfer case, and a viscous LSD in the rear, with an open front diff. How is that diferent from my 2005 5mt LGT?

Steve

Mine might be up for grabs at the end of summer, as I am deciding the future of this car. I will PM you if anything comes off the car and I'll comtinue looking for cheap Strut Tower bars for you also

Ok thats exciting and all for me, but you cant get rid of the Legacy. Come on. Ill be the lonely BD on this forum.

Help me out here. A 325iX has a viscous coupling in the transfer case, and a viscous LSD in the rear, with an open front diff. How is that diferent from my 2005 5mt LGT?

Steve

There are different generations of technology. Audi is like 4th or 5th gen. which is what makes them the best. THis particular X drive is like 10/90 where I like my 50/50 split. And dont get me started on 4matic.

As for these service issues you speak of, I havent really heard of these and like I said, I have a BMW guru for a suitemate.

Ok thats exciting and all for me, but you cant get rid of the Legacy. Come on. Ill be the lonely BD on this forum.
I know, we'll see. The BD would stay in the family though and besides we just bought another BD, yeah we own 3 Legacys now, My BD, Bro's new BD and his old, new BE (dont get me started on why he has 2 GT's, its a long story, but the BE should be going up for sale shortly).

I'm just sick of the Automatic, seriously, everytime I'm in the car I just want to tear the shifter out of the car and fling it, and I'm also sick of the lack of power. Like I said, we'll see what I'm gonna do with my GT, but something will get done with/to it this summer I promise you that

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Yeah I can empathize with you on the transmission. hence the '99 buy. but that took my 9 months to find. As for power, well the dif. between my the auto and the manual is tremendous. I mean come on, I can take V6 Legends in this thing.

most people I know who have 45K plus cars can afford them, and therefore the more expensive maintenance costs arent really an issue.

Maintenance cost (normal wear/tear) wasn't an issue for me, but reliability deifinitely was. This is why I don't own an M3 or S4 anymore. My S4 (2001) was in the shop for nearly 2 months due to problems (passenger side turbo, power steering rack, etc.). I'm on my 4th Subaru, with nary a problem. :)

-Mike-

Archived