LegacyGT.com

BMW 335i - Holy Smoke!

Talk about a serious performance coupe and a major performance upgrade from a MazdaSpeed 6....

The BMW 335i coupe, to come out later this year, is said to have a 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six with piezoelectric direct injection. Power output is up 47 hp over the normally aspirated version of the same 3.0-liter six found in the 330i, but BMW claims turbo lag is avoided and peak torque increases 34 percent. According to Car and Driver magazine, BMW expects the 335i to shave more than half a second from the 330i's 0-to-60 time, which puts it in the low-five-second range.

This, plus all of the quality materials of a BMW interior, the BMW sport suspension, electronic stability control, great gas mileage, long maintenance intervals, a fantastic stereo and that famous BMW road feel....wow.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of people have felt that the 330i and MazdaSpeed were the last word in terms of great performance sedans/coupes under $50,000, but I guess there's gonna be a new King of the Hill !!

Old news, this has been discussed previously on these forums. We knew about this about a month and a half ago.

Well I didn't know about it, and the article in Car and Driver just came out. This is big news....it deserves to get mentioned more than just once.

Thank you, KKM, for posting this.

Well I didn't know about it, and the article in Car and Driver just came out. This is big news....it deserves to get mentioned more than just once.

Thank you, KKM, for posting this.

Your welcome, Dash! It's such a pleasure that I have made so many friends and gained so many admirers on this site. I will now count you among them!

that we can still smoke a german car and save 20K !

Let's see....

BMW vs Legacy .... with regard to performance ....

Handling - BMW hands down. In a different league altogether

Steering -- BMW hands down. In a different league altogether

0-60 -- Lookslike the BMW will "smoke" the LGT Spec B!

Transmission -- No question here. BMW by a mile.

Brakes -- One of the best (BMW) vs the admittedly mediocre brakes on the LGT

"Smoke" you say???? The LGT can rightfully be considered a good family sedan versus its real competition (Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Ford Fusion). But let's keep the comparisons real.....If you posed this comparison to any reputable automobile reviewer/magazine (e.g., Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automobile, Edmunds, Motor Trend, Auto Week, not to mention any syndicated writer in the automotive sphere, etc.) you would get laughed out of their office, and you know that.

COO COO man,

You always want to move the legacy"up" a class to say it cannot compete. No kidding a legacy will not smoke with a 50K sports car. You have a very keen grasp of the blatantly obvious! It would not be grossly outperformed. Show me a sub 35K bimmer,audi,mercedes that will do better a than a L-GT with 4k in very simple mods.

You clearly do not know how to keep it "REAL". I do not recall the comparisons published by your quoted reputable publications including the Ford fusion, Nissan altima or the Honda accord along with the legacy. But, thankfully, the writers of those publications do and included similar cars.

I am grabbing PARADE magazine from the sunday paper and heading to the bathroom for some reading that is far more interesting than your repetetive posts.

Wow! I cannot believe I responded to your nonsense, I must be getting soft.......

Did you get beaten up often in school as a child?

BMW's are really great machines... The only problem is that they will cost 40+ hehehehehe

Same thing with the new Lexus GS450h, 339hp, great torque, don't recall it, however upper 40's if not 50's!!!!!!

Really cannot afford it at this time :-(

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

GT_LTD,

I agree SOA did fail.. in naming the car the spec-B. If it was named legacy GT sport package it would not draw the comparison to JDM versions which, as we know, is a better car and the Fuji exec's are never going to give to the american market as the complete package when they can nickel and dime us and keep us scrambling for JDM stuff.

That being said, have you priced nice 18" wheels and REO 50's, Bilsteins?

Nav would not be a stand alone on my list but it costs. Also, check out the cost of stIaluminum control arms etc. When the real prices paid for the car are averaging 32k(or 2.5-3k more than the regular GT) it does not seem so out of line.

It seems like the name, unrealistic comparisons to the superior JDM model and the silly #/500 thing is most disappointing.

I know I am not disapointed with my car at all, I bet those who bought one are not either. Now, when the 6 speed comes out, I have some thinking to do!

I'm old enough to remember the BMW 2002. What's sad to me is how BMW continues to move further upscale with each model redesign. I guess all brands have a tendency to do that but BMW is just plain out of reach for most people. Too bad, because they make very nice cars. Well, I just despise the looks of the Z4 and would sell one if it were given to me. Otherwise very appealing cars though.

COO COO man,

You always want to move the legacy"up" a class to say it cannot compete. No kidding a legacy will not smoke with a 50K sports car. You have a very keen grasp of the blatantly obvious! It would not be grossly outperformed. Show me a sub 35K bimmer,audi,mercedes that will do better a than a L-GT with 4k in very simple mods.

You clearly do not know how to keep it "REAL". I do not recall the comparisons published by your quoted reputable publications including the Ford fusion, Nissan altima or the Honda accord along with the legacy. But, thankfully, the writers of those publications do and included similar cars.

I am grabbing PARADE magazine from the sunday paper and heading to the bathroom for some reading that is far more interesting than your repetetive posts.

Wow! I cannot believe I responded to your nonsense, I must be getting soft.......

Did you get beaten up often in school as a child?

I wasn't the one who "moved it up" -- do you see a single reference to the LGT in my previous posts in this string??? You are the one who tried to compare the LGT to a BMW 335i -- I was just stating the obvious -- that your statement, that it would "smoke" the 335i, is patently absurd. If you read my post, I took you to task for making that kind of a comparison

So while you're on the toilet, read a few car magazines and start thinking about how you might want to know what you're talking about before you make your next post.

Title reads.. "Awsome AWD sport sedans" in which the Legacy gt out performed the other 5. My references were to your other equally pathetic attempts to stir up a hornets nest.

Do not play if you do not want to get stung

Boy, must have struck a nerve.

BTW, did not see your cars in your noticably scant profile. Still souping up the yugo? :lol:

As far am I am concerned, thread closed.

For 50k usd, an LGT will pull 4 sec 0-60's, 1g and sub 12 1/4s. if not far better

bmw blahhh, nice car too much money.

I can see the guy who buys this. "Now, I own a bimmer <sticks nose up>, I have class, and now I can drive like an asshole, hmpf!"

For 50k usd, an LGT will pull 4 sec 0-60's, 1g and sub 12 1/4s. if not far better

bmw blahhh, nice car too much money.

I can see the guy who buys this. "Now, I own a bimmer <sticks nose up>, I have class, and now I can drive like an asshole, hmpf!"

Not every consumer want's to have to mod their car in order to make it perform better. In fact besides the members of this forum about 95% of Legacy GT owners will never mod their car at all. For many, including myself; the extra cost of parts, labor, lost time due to instalation of parts needed to mod the car make things prohibitive. You can't finance mods on your auto loan, and they bring no value to the car for trade in. Add in the fact that all of those lovely go-fast bits will: void your warranty, make the car wear out faster, and frequently contribute to reliability problems, also put a damper on things.

In regards to the BMW being too much money, for some people they are, BMW does not care about making cars for everybody. Also should a customer decide to mod their car, the 335 should have massive potential. As an added benefit there is a really good chance that Steve Dinan will be able to cheaply extract a great deal of power out of the car with ECu management like Cobb does for Subaru. Dinan mods are fully warranty supported, so even though many find BMW more expensive, at least BMW is willing to allow their customers to mod their cars without penaltly as long as approved parts are used.

And the horsepower battle continues.......I think its great that BMW is coming out with a car like this. If it sells, then maybe SOA will do things a little different with the Spec B down the road.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I wasn't the one who "moved it up" -- do you see a single reference to the LGT in my previous posts in this string??? You are the one who tried to compare the LGT to a BMW 335i -- I was just stating the obvious -- that your statement, that it would "smoke" the 335i, is patently absurd. If you read my post, I took you to task for making that kind of a comparison

So while you're on the toilet, read a few car magazines and start thinking about how you might want to know what you're talking about before you make your next post.

Um... yeah you were...... See post #11 :rolleyes:

Let's see....

BMW vs Legacy .... with regard to performance ....

Handling - BMW hands down. In a different league altogether

Steering -- BMW hands down. In a different league altogether

0-60 -- Lookslike the BMW will "smoke" the LGT Spec B!

Transmission -- No question here. BMW by a mile.

Brakes -- One of the best (BMW) vs the admittedly mediocre brakes on the LGT

"Smoke" you say???? The LGT can rightfully be considered a good family sedan versus its real competition (Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Ford Fusion). But let's keep the comparisons real.....If you posed this comparison to any reputable automobile reviewer/magazine (e.g., Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automobile, Edmunds, Motor Trend, Auto Week, not to mention any syndicated writer in the automotive sphere, etc.) you would get laughed out of their office, and you know that.

Now everyone... feel free to further discuss the BMW 335.....

Otherwise.... :trolls:

Archived