LegacyGT.com

BMW 335i - Holy Smoke!

Nice to know there are Subaru dealers out there that will do that, did you have to go through another lender? Most prime lenders will not carry $8000 over the MSRP of the car, or even 3500-4000 for that matter. Oh well I am glad you were able to find a way.

So what mods were performed, and will Subaru still honor your powertrain warranty?

Got it through the dealership. Factory incentive I believe. I think it just depends on how much your dealership wants to work for you.

I spent about $1000 at the dealership, but the rest of the mods I was able to get cheaper on my own, so they cut my a cheque for $7000!

Best part was the additional money is included in my insurance, so if my car is stolen I get the mods covered as well. It is in the bill of sale.

My dealership is very mod friendly, everyone that works there races on the weekends. One of the mechanics has had his car in the paper (supercharged WRX) and he would likely get most anything covered under warranty as long as he reasonably could.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously get rid of the: cold weather PKG, just get heated seats. Active cruise control is like flushing $2200 down a toilet. Ditch the active steering, it is not needed on the 3 at all. The sunshades are also of very limited value on that car, just get the windows tinted.

Dude, do you tell that to your customers? do you work on commission?

How many customers buy well equipped upper-trim 3-series, vs stripped down 3s with the bigger engines?

At that price, people either have the cash in spades, and it isn't a big factor to option up, or they can leverage that sort of debt, and do the same.

As was said... people just buying the badge probably pony up for all the impressive toys, or get the small engine, stripped out trim version... I would think, anyway.

I would think above a certain amount, it becomes a luxury item, and it becomes a different psychological effect, less about affordability, which becomes more of a "given", and more about "what do I want..." which when affordability is given, becomes a lot, up to "the works."

Legacy GT seems much more about value, and affordability and what costs how much seems more of an issue. The economic term is "less elastic demand".

I wasn't the one who "moved it up" -- do you see a single reference to the LGT in my previous posts in this string??? You are the one who tried to compare the LGT to a BMW 335i -- I was just stating the obvious -- that your statement, that it would "smoke" the 335i, is patently absurd. If you read my post, I took you to task for making that kind of a comparison

So while you're on the toilet, read a few car magazines and start thinking about how you might want to know what you're talking about before you make your next post.

yea come over with ur new 50K 330 thingamajig in 2nd week of january in MN and i will prove to you which of the 2 is better.

And even if they come out with a 55K 330ix...whats the point....i'd rather get an lgt and an s2k for tht kinda monies

bmw owners are the wannabe lot.

Dude, do you tell that to your customers? do you work on commission?

How many customers buy well equipped upper-trim 3-series, vs stripped down 3s with the bigger engines?

At that price, people either have the cash in spades, and it isn't a big factor to option up, or they can leverage that sort of debt, and do the same.

As was said... people just buying the badge probably pony up for all the impressive toys, or get the small engine, stripped out trim version... I would think, anyway.

I would think above a certain amount, it becomes a luxury item, and it becomes a different psychological effect, less about affordability, which becomes more of a "given", and more about "what do I want..." which when affordability is given, becomes a lot, up to "the works."

Legacy GT seems much more about value, and affordability and what costs how much seems more of an issue. The economic term is "less elastic demand".

So you think you know my customers better than I do? That is funny. I do work on commision, but to be really honest with you most options have no damn mark up. I wish they did, but for the most part they do not; so yes I will tell a customer that an option is a waste of money if I know they are not going to get any use out of it.

In regards to stripped out 3's vs loaded up 3's it's about 50/50 for our market. For most people a fully loaded car does not make much sense becasue of the price, it just gets to close to 5 series territory. We get a handful of guys who want all the toys, and just do not need/want the bigger car.

Many members of this forum seem to have this misconception (I think to make them feel better about themselves) that all BMW owners are a bunch of Yuppie poseurs; that are in debt up to their eye balls, or have rich parents. We have a few individuals that buy cars from us that are like that, and most of them buy 325i's and enjoy their "status symbol", for the most part these people are tools. Subaru owners can also be this way, they buy the car and have no clue about what it is all about. There is nothing worse than selling a hot car to someone that just doesn't get it.

However, the majority of my customers are people that appreciate a good handling car that is well built and refined. They are guys/gals just like you and me, they just happen to have a bit more money than some of us. Just because they have lots of money does not mean they will spend it on whatever they think they might want, they are looking for good value just like you and I. Some of my customers also own or have owned Subaru's, so they are really not that different than us. They do keep coming back to BMW, because as an overall package the cars are just really damn good. Not allways the fastest, the sharpest handling, or the hardest braking (okay they are almost allways the hardest braking, damn you Subaru take notes); but they are almost never last in any category and often near the top. I wish that more of you guys could get some quality wheel time on a BMW, I think you would start to understand. Not everyone will see the value of owning a BMW, that is fine; however there seems to be a great deal of bashing in regards to these cars.

yea come over with ur new 50K 330 thingamajig in 2nd week of january in MN and i will prove to you which of the 2 is better.

And even if they come out with a 55K 330ix...whats the point....i'd rather get an lgt and an s2k for tht kinda monies

bmw owners are the wannabe lot.

Wow. Such an intelligent posting.

So you think you know my customers better than I do? That is funny. I do work on commision, but to be really honest with you most options have no damn mark up. I wish they did, but for the most part they do not; so yes I will tell a customer that an option is a waste of money if I know they are not going to get any use out of it.

I don't know your customers, but it was speaking out of general observation of people buying value items vs. lux items. I could be wrong, and never stated that I am the authority, and have deferred to you as knowing more on the subject.

If you tell customers the truth, good on ya. Most salesmen won't in my experience. I wish I dealt more often with people who will put things straight, without a lot of agenda.

In regards to stripped out 3's vs loaded up 3's it's about 50/50 for our market...snip

Mostly I was wondering if cars with the larger engine options, and associated higher base prices were usually ordered with fewer options, or more options... Seems to me (based on consumer psychology precepts) that someone ponying up for the bigger engines would also get nicer trim, and perhaps more options...

Many members of this forum seem to have this misconception (I think to make them feel better about themselves) that all BMW owners are a bunch of Yuppie poseurs; that are in debt up to their eye balls, or have rich parents. We have a few individuals that buy cars from us that are like that, and most of them buy 325i's and enjoy their "status symbol", for the most part these people are tools. Subaru owners can also be this way, they buy the car and have no clue about what it is all about. There is nothing worse than selling a hot car to someone that just doesn't get it.

I just think BMW buyers, (like Cadillac, Audi, and other lux marques) have more disposeable income than people looking at cars like the TSX, A4-4cyl, and Legacy... and I would think that would affect their buying tendencies.

I know if I had the cashflow do manage that sort of a purchase, I would be trying to treat myself to exactly what I want, even if that ment a few extra bucks. (heck, I am in that mode with a Legacy purchase coming up. It is a welcome move upward for me.)

However, the majority of my customers are people that appreciate a good handling car that is well built and refined. They are guys/gals just like you and me, they just happen to have a bit more money than some of us. Just because they have lots of money does not mean they will spend it on whatever they think they might want, they are looking for good value just like you and I. -snippage- I wish that more of you guys could get some quality wheel time on a BMW, I think you would start to understand. Not everyone will see the value of owning a BMW, that is fine; however there seems to be a great deal of bashing in regards to these cars.

I wish I could get some wheeltime too. but I don't know anyone who will lend me one, test drives seem to be given sparingly, and aren't much for wheeltime anyway.

If it were a few years ago, and the E36 M3 4-door was not quite so long past, and were in the under 70k mile range, rather than the 100k+ mileage and ten model years old range, I would seriously be considering picking up one of those. I have no problem with BMW philosophically, and only recently on the aesthetic front. But they seem to be getting more and more expensive with each model, and much faster than the economy grows. The E90 M3 is going to be nowhere near the same vicinity of value that the E36 M3 was, and the E46 was also a step toward the more expensive.

As I said before, it seems like a 45-50k and up price bracket is not the same game that the legacy is playing in, and previous posts by people trying to compare them were stretching too far.

Don't forget one thing.

The "privilege" of owning a BMW comes with the reality that every time you drive into the dealer's service department, they will hit you for $700.

Oil change, tire rotation, it's making a noise, can I just leave it here for an hour...doesn't matter. "That'll be $700 please."

P.

Don't forget one thing.

The "privilege" of owning a BMW comes with the reality that every time you drive into the dealer's service department, they will hit you for $700.

Oil change, tire rotation, it's making a noise, can I just leave it here for an hour...doesn't matter. "That'll be $700 please."

P.

Have you not heard of a 4 year 50,000 mile comprehensive warrany? All maintinence is free durring this period and includes: oil changes, major inspections, brake pads and rotors, belts, hoses, bulbs, windshield wiper blades, filters. BMW covers items on their cars that other makers would consider a wear and tear item.

For a nominal fee BMW will extend the warranty on the car under an original owners protection plan. The maintinence plan can be extended as well, if you plan to keep the car long term. However even if you do not do these things and have to pay for maintinence the bills are not that bad. For example a 60K service on a 3 series is about $420, the 60K service on the Legacy for me would cost about $350 according to the dealer. Oil changes on an I6 run about $82 with labor, but the engine takes on 7-7.5 quarts of fully synthetic (GC) oil, and has a very large internal cartridge filter that costs about $12-15 depending on where you pick it up. Oil change intervals are about 15K in between, so in the end oil change costs for the BMW come out to less than oil change costs for the Legacy over the same mileage if equal quality oil and filters are used.

there are also tons of BMW oriented garages that will service your bimmer needs should you want to stay away from the BMW dealerships. Some of these are run by ex-BMW mechanics.

Having leased a 2002 BMW 330ci before purchasing my present LGT, I'd strongly suggest to anyone that the extended service package migh be worth the money with these cars. Great cars in terms of the overall driving experience (better than the LGT by far) but boy, when they break they cost an arm and a leg. And given the recent less than stellar reliability ratings of BMW'w, I'd try to avoid bringing one of those into a BMW shop for major service without a warranty or extended servic package...

The 3 series cars have been pretty trouble free for us, now 2002 model year 7's.... do not buy one unless it has a service file two inches thick. If it has the file, that car has been sorted out, otherwise run far far away. As a BMW dealer I don't like to see '02 7's come in. Problem children, all of them. Now model years after that are just fine, and the other cars in my experience are pretty good too.

Considering that the 335i isn't even out yet...this thread is pointless. .......... I am more interested in the fact that BMW has created a turbo'd car, which is really freakin cool if you ask me!

^+1^

The turbo bimmer is going to be a hot car! And if we are going to compare LGT's and 325's, we should compare '04+ subies to late 80's and early 90's version of the 325.

One question, isn't 47HP a little low for a twin turbo over the NA?

That is my thought. That's a lot of technology for so few gains.

Plus, BMW hasn't exactly blazed any trails with turbo technology in its production cars. Who knows if they can put out a trouble free single turbo, much less a twin turbo. I've never heard of a problem-free twin turbo model.

It may turn out fine, but there is no way in hell I'd be the first one on my block to buy one.

People dissappointed by the small hp gains are really missing the point. Its just supposed to fill the gap between the 330i and the M3. Oh yeah and the whole 295 lb-ft of torque from 1500 to 5800 rpm probably has something to do with the low peak HP too.

Talk about a serious performance coupe and a major performance upgrade from a MazdaSpeed 6....

The BMW 335i coupe, to come out later this year, is said to have a 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six with piezoelectric direct injection. Power output is up 47 hp over the normally aspirated version of the same 3.0-liter six found in the 330i, but BMW claims turbo lag is avoided and peak torque increases 34 percent. According to Car and Driver magazine, BMW expects the 335i to shave more than half a second from the 330i's 0-to-60 time, which puts it in the low-five-second range.

This, plus all of the quality materials of a BMW interior, the BMW sport suspension, electronic stability control, great gas mileage, long maintenance intervals, a fantastic stereo and that famous BMW road feel....wow.

I mean, wow....

• 2 weeks later...
That is my thought. That's a lot of technology for so few gains.

Plus, BMW hasn't exactly blazed any trails with turbo technology in its production cars. Who knows if they can put out a trouble free single turbo, much less a twin turbo. I've never heard of a problem-free twin turbo model.

It may turn out fine, but there is no way in hell I'd be the first one on my block to buy one.

My brother had a 97' Mitsu 3000Gt Vr4 Twin Turbo. Great driving car with AWD and fast as hell.But was in the dealer too much for engine knocks. They had to rebuild the engine after 2 years.

Denial is your best friend

Apples and oranges, well said! You think a Subie is hard to work on, try BMW. If I wanted a BMW, I would of bought one. Just don't like like the car, never have. Subie owners are like the early Porsche enthusiasts, they like cars. BMW?, frequently boneheads.

Which would you want, A BMW meeting with Brie and wine or a Subie meet where you could learn something or enjoy the sport?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Apples and oranges, well said! You think a Subie is hard to work on, try BMW. If I wanted a BMW, I would of bought one. Just don't like like the car, never have. Subie owners are like the early Porsche enthusiasts, they like cars. BMW?, frequently boneheads.

Which would you want, A BMW meeting with Brie and wine or a Subie meet where you could learn something or enjoy the sport?

...just take a look at how many BMWs are sold with automatic transmissions (not the sequential box BTW) ...If someone buys a BMW with an auto, most likely they are more interested in the pretty blue and white propellor on the hood then enojying the "ultimate" driving experience.

I've driven auto bimmers, it is a totally different car without the stick. I was truely disappointed with the whole experience.

The 335 is a great car I'm sure...but so is the M5 (for $90 grand, it damn well better be!)

Around here you get all the Stockmarket boys who think they have to drive a BMW just to prove something. They aren't even the upper end models which I can appreciate when I do see them. All they are buying is the emblem on a dog of a 3 series.

Denial is your best friend

Archived