LegacyGT.com

Sweet NA wagon

cool thanks Fazz

I think I'll look into the intake...because I haven't looked at your specs lately what are you using? There is a guy making a intake (who posted in this thread) but I might be into doing a little bit of my own fabrication...

This is my commuter car and have an old Jeep that takes up the garage time as well as most of the budget. Once I install my stereo in this car it'll be time for some intake research.

After seeing the 08 GT pics I am going to be trading up in when they are available so sinking all kinds of money into this just isn't justifiable.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sponge,

The intake is called a Rampod. It is a nice piece made in Australia I believe. It uses a massive foam unifilter. It was made for a WRX. I saw the one you are talking about. You may be better off with that because you know it will fit. A custom bracket was made in order to make mine fit. You will also have more of a choice with Filters too (K&N), AEM, etc.....just be sure not to over oil or you will kill the MAF sensor........The 08 GT looks great. I wonder if Subaru will offer a slightly cheaper version with cloth seats and other cost cutting moves like they did with th WRX TR......how about a Legacy TR! The 07 Spec B seems to be heading more in the performance direction with the elimination of the classy leather seats and the addition of partial leather in what looks to be an Sti style blue.......I hear you on the other project car. I have a 00 Miata that just had a roll bar install which cuts into the Legacy budget. I put 35k miles year anyway on the Legacy so a new Subie is not that far down the road for me either.

Wow, everyone is talking about my car! There are two schools of thought in the world of the car enthusiast: There is the muscle car mentality where the only thing that matters is straight line speed. Then there is the school of thought where all out straight line speed is replaced by balance and how a car "feels" through thoughtful application of chassis tuning and power. A Miata is a fine example of this. Seeing as though your Subie has an AUTOMATIC transmission and six cylinders, you would not understand the concept. What is even more disturbing is that you actually own a minivan.
An unexpected comment from someone who owns a station wagon! But actually I own two minivans - the Quest is just way more fun to drive because no one expects it to move or handle like it does. In addition we have two cargo vans; a Honda Accord V6 sedan; and the Subaru 3.0R - all have automatics. None of them have badges.

I did apply thoughtful application of chassis tuning and power to several cars I autocrossed, rallyed, ice-raced and road-raced over the years. I never did spend a lot of time and money modifying street cars , even when I lived in Germany for more than two years and was able to drive on the Autobahn at unlimited speed for hours on end. I had a factory stock Audi at the time.

Applause for your logical and well-documented approach, but I agree with the consensus view here that the turbo 2.5 cars deliver a lot more performance - and tuning potential - than any such endeaver that is starting with a 2.5l engine already producing 70 hp / liter in a relatively heavy car. Or the 3.0. It's a free country, though.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

An unexpected comment from someone who owns a station wagon! But actually I own two minivans - the Quest is just way more fun to drive because no one expects it to move or handle like it does. In addition we have two cargo vans; a Honda Accord V6 sedan; and the Subaru 3.0R - all have automatics. None of them have badges.

I did apply thoughtful application of chassis tuning and power to several cars I autocrossed, rallyed, ice-raced and road-raced over the years. I never did spend a lot of time and money modifying street cars , even when I lived in Germany for more than two years and was able to drive on the Autobahn at unlimited speed for hours on end. I had a factory stock Audi at the time.

Applause for your logical and well-documented approach, but I agree with the consensus view here that the turbo 2.5 cars deliver a lot more performance - and tuning potential - than any such endeaver that is starting with a 2.5l engine already producing 70 hp / liter in a relatively heavy car. Or the 3.0. It's a free country, though.

No harm done....I am sure you are a fine gentleman......The point I was trying to make is that many of us could not fork over the extra $6k for a turbo car and would rather take half of the $6K to make a N/A a little better. In my case, I commute over 36K miles per year so it makes more sense to have a car that takes 87 octane and gets 6 MPG better. I have a Miata which also gets upgrades when the budget allows. A fellow I know who works at the local dealership here took an Impreza RS and turbo charged among other things. I confess, I use to think, "he should have just gotten a WRX". But as I got to know him and his car I was enlighted by the concept of taking a car and making it your own little by little as time and budgets allow. People have different ways to brag. Some can go to the dealer, plop down $32K for an Sti, tell all the WRX guys that he can blow their doors off and call it a day. Other choose to do what I and thousands of others do and share the experience without bragging.

I am happy you enjoy your Quest minivan so much and I am not being sarcastic. I have not driven one so I cannot comment on it's virtues. I think if you drove my N/A you would be pleasantly surprised. Of course it does not have the power of the GT because it is not a GT. But none the less it has character. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your GT...........

so do you plan on "re-modding" your exhaust on your legacy? i'm using generic ebay style mufflers on mine right now, and i like them for they're ridicuously quiet. but yea, i'm interested in seeing future mods on your wagon.

keep up the modding! and more pictures!

btw, any details on those headers you're using?

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Fazzster, you are very thoughtful and enlightend in pursuit of YOUR car. I belive that it is very cool, and worthy of admiration.

You many live.

(but it would be cooler if it was a GT wa-gone)

:icon_twis

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

LOL i go to great lengths to avoid being anywhere NEAR any type of minivan. They are always driven by complete f'ing morons it seems. I've almost got hit by one almost everytime I've seen one. In fact just today a gold quest minivan didn't think red-lights applied to him at first but changed his mind and slid through an intersection towards me. Coincidentally my buddy was driving behind me and gave him the takehome foot salute on his windshield. What im leading up to is: I would crap my pants if a minivan blew my doors off.

so do you plan on "re-modding" your exhaust on your legacy? i'm using generic ebay style mufflers on mine right now, and i like them for they're ridicuously quiet. but yea, i'm interested in seeing future mods on your wagon.

keep up the modding! and more pictures!

btw, any details on those headers you're using?

Your car looks great. The mufflers you have look like they fit pretty well. Have you noticed any improvement in power? Do they bring out the boxer sound any better than the stock? Also, what brand are they? Did you use any custom piping to make them fit?

The headers were custom made by Tech Works Engineering and the hi-flow cat is made by Random Tech.......

Your car looks great. The mufflers you have look like they fit pretty well. Have you noticed any improvement in power? Do they bring out the boxer sound any better than the stock? Also, what brand are they? Did you use any custom piping to make them fit?

The headers were custom made by Tech Works Engineering and the hi-flow cat is made by Random Tech.......

the mufflers are generic ones.. sorry i dont know the name of it. the boxer sound a heard a little bit more, but not as good as some of the other mufflers available in the market. and since it was a generic muffler, all piping and connections had to be custom welded on. i wish it was bolt on.. but alas not. as for power gains... not sure? only had the car for 2 weeks before i had the mufflers installed.

how much did your header setup cost you? any power gains resulted from? regrets? or recommondations?

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

go to this link below.....it looks like Sam from Xcceleration has worked out the pit falls I experienced and is now selling the complete system. My car was an experiment for him. I am running 2 cats and as a result I get a CEL. He is still selling it with 2 which should still result in a CEL. Also, the cat back resonated to the point of obscene. So I took it off and went with stock. There were two possible options that could of worked, cap off one of the mufflers or stick in a reonator like the factory does. Interestingly enough he is selling it with the 2 mufflers but one does not function which I had a problem with. Why pay for another muffler that does not function especially a highend SS piece. There was no gaurentee the resonator would of worked so I scrapped the whole system. Evidentally what he is selling now must work or else he would not sell it.

http://www.xcceleration.com/leg-engine.htm

+1

I've also come to the conclusion that there are zero exhausts available that won't make the N/As sound tinny/ricery.

Borla header & complete stromung! No tin No Rice.

Wow, everyone is talking about my car! There are two schools of thought in the world of the car enthusiast: There is the muscle car mentality where the only thing that matters is straight line speed. Then there is the school of thought where all out straight line speed is replaced by balance and how a car "feels" through thoughtful application of chassis tuning and power. A Miata is a fine example of this. Seeing as though your Subie has an AUTOMATIC transmission and six cylinders, you would not understand the concept. What is even more disturbing is that you actually own a minivan.

Very good point!

No problem. I'm not sure why but when I read "he could have bought a GT, blah blah" for the umpteenth time it makes me sad. An enthusiast should not think that way and if they do there's really no need to post it in the N/A forum.

Maybe they are not real enthusiasts.

I always love the "black box of mystery power". What a load of crock!

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Sweeettt!! $12 for a resistor in a box, that is some high quality stuff, and I do mean HIGH! :lol: The quality ink jet label on the box is worth at least $2 in itself, the development time must have been in the minutes on that one.

Trohler,

Can you tell us how you installed the Borla GT Catback? Did you have to make some modifications because of the different pip sizings of the N/A's vs the GT's?

Thanks!

Archived